Ways of field dressing

Adam

I am just interested in how differant people field dress their game. I have been very lucky in that 3 out of the 4 elk I have killed seriously died right on old logging roads, so I have only had to field dress one elk. I have heard many differant ways. What is yours?

Roadtrip :D ....at least you didn't say in a light skirt with sensible heels! ;)

Adam, kind of curious as to what you (personally) mean by "field dress"? Are you saying that the other three elk you took back to town "whole"??

Guess I just haven't hunted where that was an "option" ...

Hopefully, I'll be confronted with that decision this season. Adam, I'm clueless but would think the terrain, solo or accompanied, distance from camp would predicate your methodology.

When I kill my bull this Saturday hump .....I will bone out the front half, the hind quarters I will leave the bone in...then Curly and I will each backpack a hind quarter out to the truck, come back and take out all the boned out meat (shoulders, ribs, neck, backstrap, tenderloins) in the next trip. Probably will saw the antlers off (6x6) :D and take them out with the first load also. Don't forget to always have a good supply of meat bags to keep the meat clean and the flies off.

Oh, if we have to go more than 2 miles or so, or if most of the pack out is uphill, I will probably bone out the hind quarters also.

With an animal as big as an elk, there's no sense in killing yourself by trying to bring out anything other than meat and antlers.

It's easier to pack in Kingsford Charcol and just spend some quality time in the mountains.....me, I prefer the gutless method. Skin the Elk's side towards the sky first, and cut loose the hindquarter and shoulder, cut out the backstrap, trim whatever neck and ribcage (outer) meat. Next count three up from the short ribs and make an incision, that bulge you see is the tenderloin, reach in and whack it out, roll elk over and repeat. Use good quality game bags and hang them up as you go, until it's time to pack up hill, elk don't die uphill!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't tried the gutless method. I've thought about it, just never done it. I will definitely have to consider it, especially if we end up packing the meat uphill rather than down.

I never tried the gutless method either, but then again never thought that gutting an elk was all that much of a challenge especially if ya got a little piece of rope and a saw. Even with out that I've gutted a few with nothing more than a pocket knife.. Besides if I don't gut him, how do I get his heart? :D

Actually the way we pack em out on horses, we need em gutted so we can drape the fronts and hinds over the saddle.

Gutless method is the only way to go if you are packing any dstance at all. Draftstud explained it perfect. If you get an animal in the early season and it is hot, it is important to get the meat cooled and away from the bone. Not only that, but the less blood the less bees. You waste no meat whatsoever other than the rib meat and it doesn't measure up to much weight anyway.

If ya wanna pack it with the bone in it, I always dress the animal and then cut it in half using my knife, cutting right between the vertabrae, it's effortless. Then I will cut the quarter right next to the pelvic bone following it around to the backbone. No sense in packing the pevic bone out as it adds about 15 pounds to the weight. Cut the head off at the joint with your knife also. Next take your knife and cut the sternum out right where the ribs hook to it. It is just cartilage. Next take your axe and pop the vertabrae right down the center while keeping the animal on its backbone. Spreading the front legs with the outside of your thighs helps a lot. With the sternum out you will have plenty of room to work and every vertabrae you split will open it up more. Continue right up through the neck. You will have four quarters laying there in about 10 to 15 minutes. It looks like you butchered a beef. If you want to skin it then skin down a couple of ribs and tie a rope through them and string em up. Skin em and while they are still srung take your meat bags and pull them around your quarter. Tie em shut and cut the rope baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back