Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Water bladder for pack

Platypus for me, great tasting water, backed up with a nalgene bottle and katadyn water filter, i just got home from a 2 day 40 mile hike, had the platy 5 years now with no probs.
Cheers
Richard

I have a whole closet full of them. On hunts that are over 3 days long I will take a 3 liter bladder that came with my old Bounty Hunter pack and an empty two liter camelback to fill and leave at camp for drinking. I also fill a nalgene with small stuff for storage and should water be far from the camp, fill it as well.

it's got the least bells and whistle's out of all of them...probably the least advertising too. but it's the only one of mine without a hole in it!

+1 on Platypus. 11 years old and still going strong. After about three years, I bought another cause I figured eventually it would rupture. Still have the spare in the package. I did get a new bite valve with the cover, a great improvement over the original.

Platypus is the way to go. I put one in my dogs pack to even out weight and for extra water. That dog can destroy a pack in a trip but has been using the same Platypus for 3 years now without a hole.

I've used the camel back and never had problems, especially since I open it up hang it upside down and let it dry everytime, seems to make it last. another thig I always do if I'm hunting close to home is to fill it about 1/3 full with water close it up and blow air back into the bladder and place in the freezer sitting with the fill top up, fill it up in the morning, got ice water all day. I only blow air into it just cause it makes it easier to fill and still keeps its shape.

I really like the camelbak "unbottle", it's tough, somewhat insulated, and gives you a lot of options for connecting it to your pack. Also, when it's cold enough to freeze it helps to blow the water back into the reservoir when you're done drinking, haven't had freezing issues when doing that.

MSR Dromlite. I just bought one of these after using the regular dromedary for several years. 4 liter is weighs 5 oz I think. Super tough cordura.

Fellas, you sold me on the Platypus. Thanks for all the info.
miller- which one did you get and how do you like it?
platy_big_zip.jpg

Hoser.jpg

I have the top platypus in your pics and really like it. The ability to open the entire top makes cleaning it much easier and the ability to disconnect the hose makes removing the bag without having to rerun the hose every time very nice.

miller- which one did you get and how do you like it?

Thanks Amand. That's the way I'm leaning and possibly going with the insulated version. Any thoughts on the Insulator model?

Probably too late to help (well... I KNOW its too late to help you...but....) you can't beat the MSR's dromedarys.... I've had about 10 different bladders and my buddies have had quite a few different ones. This MSR is the first I ever bought, about 11 years ago, and it still functions great. MSR builds chit last.... I have had to put new bite valves on it though.

Just google them...

Now I have to get out the door to go find a bird or two!!!!

I ended up buying the geiger rig set up. I went for the 3L because of my trip to the desert. The inline filter(5oz) works great, and does not slow down the flow.

Pressurizing the bag is awesome. Load your pack just like normal, and once you have it on your back you just pump the squeeze pump and your bladder is pressurized. Once it's pressurized, I was able to spray water about 3-4ft just by sqeezing the bite valve. Great convenience for cooking, and cleaning.

The best part is you don't have to suck on the bite valve to drink. If you're drinking on the move, you just bite the valve and fill you mouth with water, while breathing through your nose. Basically, you can drink without losing a breath. Hard to explain, but it's a 1000 times better than drinking from a bottle after climbing a steep hill at 7,000ft.

781BC209-8DA2-40E9-AA6B-64B6F296118C-3335-000002CEB3D84CDB.jpg

You've got that right Dustin... I think I had a kink in my line last weekend and I about got wore out trying to get enough water... that looks like a nice setup... and like you say, great for around camp when you need to fill a cup or pot or clean something.

Interesting setup, Dustin. Never heard of them....I'll have to check it out.

that looks like a great design compared to my camelback. does the zipper stay leak proof over time? that would be my only concern

that looks like a great design compared to my camelback. does the zipper stay leak proof over time? that would be my only concern

Mine has not leaked. It doesn't have a zipper, you fold the top over 2 times and slide a plastic clip over the folds.

Also, I turned the bladder inside out and ran it through the dishwasher. Worked great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back