PEAX Equipment

Water bladder for pack

mtmiller

I have never felt I needed one of these, but maybe it can be a good idea. Any thoughts on a good one that will fit in an MR pack. Some better than others, or all the same?

I see MR sells them, but looking for other advise.

thanks...

I've got a few, all camelbak brand. The one i use the most is a 72 ounce I believe; followed by a 100 ounce. From what I've seen the newer camelbak omega bladders look better than my older style ones. I do like ones with a smaller bite valve vs. some of the quick link style. I've had isses fitting the bigger bite valves through the hydration ports in packs. There is some plastic taste, but I can easily look past it for the easy water access.

I go through a Camelback 100 about ever three hunts. Either the hanger breaks, or in worst cases, the bladder itself ruptures when too big of a load is placed on the pack.

I was complaining about that lack of durability to the folks at Blackhawk. They sent me some of theirs to try. Haven't had much time to use them, but so far I like the bite valve better. Will see how well they hold up when I fill the back full of elk and then put some pressure on the bladder.

Link here - http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Reservoirs,1408.htm

Blackhawk also sent me some of their knee pads. Now those are to die for. By far the best knee pads I have ever used, and being a pronghorn junkie, I think I have tried them all.

Link here - http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Neoprene-Knee-Pads,169,9.htm

I use the one that came with my Eberlestock pack. It is really nice compared to the cheapo one I bought at a local sporting goods store. Has the hose protected with a woven braid type covering and the plastic is at least twice as thick. You can fill by opening the entire top instead of unscrewing it as well.

I really can't imagine not using one anymore. Only negative I've ever experienced was on my elk hunt last year I wasn't drinking frequently enough and the hose froze up. Took a while to get it unthawed so I could start drinking again.

I mix in a pack of sugarfree flavoring (about 1/2 the recommended amount) and I'm good to go.

Last edited:
camelbak. I learned the hard way years ago, always carry a bottle of water too.Bladders have a habit of going dry just when you need water the most.72oz and a bottle works better than a 100oz, just because i know when i start on the bottle it's time to start thinking about my next water source.

I use the camelbak bladder also. I like the small bite valve. I use to use water bottles until a few years ago. When I started using the water bladder I cant believe how much easier it is than to stop and pull out your water bottle. There is a place to hang it in your MR CC.

I've got a few, all camelbak brand. The one i use the most is a 72 ounce I believe; followed by a 100 ounce. From what I've seen the newer camelbak omega bladders look better than my older style ones. I do like ones with a smaller bite valve vs. some of the quick link style. I've had isses fitting the bigger bite valves through the hydration ports in packs. There is some plastic taste, but I can easily look past it for the easy water access.

Thanks Tone, I will check out the Omega.

I go through a Camelback 100 about ever three hunts. Either the hanger breaks, or in worst cases, the bladder itself ruptures when too big of a load is placed on the pack.

I was complaining about that lack of durability to the folks at Blackhawk. They sent me some of theirs to try. Haven't had much time to use them, but so far I like the bite valve better. Will see how well they hold up when I fill the back full of elk and then put some pressure on the bladder.

Link here - http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Reservoirs,1408.htm

And then I will check out the BlackHawk. Let me know if they need a field test in the Colorado Rocky's in a couple months.;)

I use the one that came with my Eberlestock pack. It is really nice compared to the cheapo one I bought at a local sporting goods store. Has the hose protected with a woven braid type covering and the plastic is at least twice as thick. You can fill by opening the entire top instead of unscrewing it as well.

I had two of those. I gave them away before even trying them.:eek: Dumb ass Miller

camelbak. I learned the hard way years ago, always carry a bottle of water too.Bladders have a habit of going dry just when you need water the most.72oz and a bottle works better than a 100oz, just because i know when i start on the bottle it's time to start thinking about my next water source.

To me, 72 oz sound better and I plan on using a small bottle as well.

I use the camelbak bladder also. I like the small bite valve. I use to use water bottles until a few years ago. When I started using the water bladder I cant believe how much easier it is than to stop and pull out your water bottle. There is a place to hang it in your MR CC.

Yep, I got a little dehydrated yesterday because I was too lazy to stop and pull my "empty" water bottle out of my pack. Sure was a lot more water on the way in. Dumb ass Miller.

Thanks fellas. I appreciate any additional advise.

I've been through 2 Camelbacks..both of them popped holes and slowly flooded my pack. Went with a Platypus last summer and love it. The material seems way more durable, they are easier to fill and easier to empty. Mine doesn't have the zipper but has a screw on cap.

I really can't imagine not using one anymore. Only negative I've ever experienced was on my elk hunt last year I wasn't drinking frequently enough and the hose froze up. Took a while to get it unthawed so I could start drinking again.

I mix in a pack of sugarfree flavoring (about 1/2 the recommended amount) and I'm good to go.

I carry 2 of these, both 3 liters, on pack trips longer than a day. I wouldn't make it very far without one--not always a good, dependable water source down here though. Very durable--I haven't had a problem with them in 2+ years and I would usually bust up a Camelback bladder every year or less. The twist on the bite valve really shuts it off and keeps it from leaking.

I use a vial of Zipfizz to mask the iodine taste and for an energy boost, but I usually mix that in a separate water bottle to keep from gunking up my bladder.

I've been using the same Camalbak bladder since about '03. No problems, breaks or leaks. Just be sure to empty and dry them once you get home. It doesn't take too long for the insides to get nasty.

I've been through 2 Camelbacks..both of them popped holes and slowly flooded my pack. Went with a Platypus last summer and love it. The material seems way more durable, they are easier to fill and easier to empty. Mine doesn't have the zipper but has a screw on cap.

Platy here as well. Way easier to fill than a Camelback and it doesn't have that plastic taste that makes you wanna barf.

either hiking, running, or hunting i have gone through north face, nathan hydration, & camelbak. The only one i have that has lasted is my platypus...i've had that bladder for 7-8 years now and still going strong. much thicker/more durable lining on the bladder. get an insulation sleeve for the straw and you're set.

I've been using a Camelback for years, before hunting packs even made room for them and came equipped with them. Now everyone offers those options. I have tried many and likee the Blackhawks and Camelbacks the best. I've got far more Camelbacks though and like them better because you can find them more places (replacement bite valves, etc) than you can the Blackhawks.

Another thing I do is add a neoprene sleeve over the water tube, it halps keep the water cooler and from freezing up so fast in cold conditions. It also helps in camoflaging as mine is desert tan in color and I have seen black ones as well.

I'm in a similar spot. I've always been a water bottle guy, but the convenience of a bladder has me questioning my system. This is what I'm going to:

http://www.geigerrig.com/

Read about the system in Eastman's a couple issues ago, the pressurized system and inline filter has me convinced. I still haven't ordered one yet, but it's on the list.

I'm a big fan of Camelbak since they were founded in my hometown. I'm not sure if the tactical line of bladders has a higher compression resistance or not.

If I can find an attachment for a Sawyer squeeze filter to fill via the drink tube I may look at getting one of those. But my typical MO is the tunbe attaches to the tit on the bottom of my MSR waterpump.

I only use the military line of camelbak bladders. I find they're very durable and they already come with the bite valve covers, on/off valves, and hose covers. I've abused the same one for 7-8 years now. I like how the hose has the quick disconnects for easier cleaning. I find the camelbaks don't have much in the way of a plastic taste. I use the Ambush. Sometimes I'll put it inside my pack and other times I'll strap it outside.

No idea for mr bladders though very important the pack is sheathed to protect the bladder.
Assuming the quality of mr bags I imagine they are set up for them.

I picked up the badlands 2800 pack and really like it. Had i the $as i would have gone mr from all I've read here however price, inserted holster within hip belt and bladder pack ready, it has been fantastic... however my biggest beef with it is the structuring for securing the bladder pack. I went specific with badlands h2o bag and it is set for two hooks. GREAT! However, the 2800 has only one hook thus a fubar'd setup to secure.

Guess what I'm getting at is see how it attaches in your bag... as there may be universal bags or specific types for bag size. Mine is universal and simply the one crappy aspect for the 2800.

I've used numerous bladders throughout the years. I seem to keep going back to Camelbak bladders, even though I've blown out a couple. I do like the military camelbak ones better than the regular ones. I've used the Eberlestock Source bladders as well. They are pretty good, but I'd prefer to be able to see if the drink tube is getting discolored. It has a solid weave on it that doesn't allow you to see if the tube is getting stuff growing inside, as well as you can't take off the bite valve to help dry it out.

I do like having a turn off valve at the bite valve. Too many times my pack or other gear has been on the bit valve and drained a lot of water all over. I also like having a bite valve cover. Seems like the bite valve is always getting laid in the dirt. Both of those do make it more difficult to feed through the hydration ports.

I've seen the MR Longbow modified to hold the plastic 'handle' of a camelbak bladder by taking out the stitches of a couple of the molle webbing on the inside of the pack. That seems like a better way to hold the bladder up in the longbow instead of depending on the weak plastic hanging hook.

Ron

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back