Wandering the Breaks

Coordinating reinforcements for help packing out this morning. Snowed overnight...should be a good time. Pics when it’s done and I have a drink in my hand.

He’s just what I wanted.:)
That's awesome! Can't wait for the story and pics. I shot a deer an hour ago but I'm more excited about your success 😄

wait for it... w-a-i-t for i-t... Still w-a-i-t-I-n-g for i-t...
Grats - by the way! :)

Ok, properly ensconced with pizza and wine for storytelling...

We had planned to go out opening weekend, though I generally loathe hunting anything on the opener because it’s such a zoo. Plus I had flights scheduled for work for both weeks surrounding opening weekend, so at best I had a day and a half to hunt. Add in the forecast of up to 50 mph wind, and it wasn’t looking promising. But I couldn’t deny Hunting Husband’s logic that it would be bonus days in the field with an open season and tag in hand. I tried to set my expectations by telling myself that at the very least, it would be a good weekend to actually set foot in the place I had picked out before I got serious. If we saw elk, I would be happy.

Headed down to find a camping spot in the gale-force winds on Friday afternoon. Setting up the tipi was an adventure. I was not super enthused at the prospect of trying to hunt in that the next day. But this was just a scouting mission after all, so the wind was no big deal. Had time that evening to scout our route in, and watched the sunset. Didn’t see any wildlife that night.

286C93FD-B840-434F-ADF4-289BA635898D.jpeg

Got nearly zero sleep the night before opener, as I was certain the tipi was going to lift off at any second. Amazes me how well it stands up to the wind, but all that buffeting doesn’t make for sweet dreams. The alarm went off early, and we grabbed gear and headed out for our pre-dawn hike. The wind was bad...on the ridges I could hardly stand up straight at times. We made good time however, and got to one of my e-scouted glassing points by shooting light. The area didn’t offer much shelter from the wind however, and after surveying the country we quickly decided this wasn’t the right spot and headed over to some deeper country that would provide more shelter from the wind.

We hardly sat down before we started finding elk. We could see 3 herds, about 60 animals all together, two herds with multiple bulls. One group was within striking distance, so we moved in to get a better look. We messed around with that group for an hour or so...the bulls mostly looked young, although one had insanely long brow tines but not much else. I would have been happy with him, but I had asked Hunting Husband to be my voice of reason and he dutifully told me that wasn’t the one I was after. But it was fun to watch them goofing around, sparring and goofing around. They are kind of funny when they don’t know anyone is watching. But it couldn’t last. Next thing we knew, someone started shooting up top and all hell broke loose. All the elk we had seen took off for parts unknown. We were just commenting that the place had really cleared out, when a herd of cows appeared on the skyline, coming down into the drainage we were in. As they dropped over the side, a bull came along their same route to the edge.He was probably 800 yards out, but we could easily tell he was big. Long beams, broken off threes, but a really good bull. The cows had stopped on a little knob below us, so we scrambled down to get in range, hoping the bull would follow. He had other plans, however. We sat with the cows at 200 yards until they walked back up out of the drainage and he never appeared. We snuck over through the coulees and never saw him again.

FAEEBCD2-A7E6-4F58-9679-859FD5108AB1.jpeg

So we climbed to the top, ate a sandwich, and enjoyed the view.

By this time it was almost noon. The wind was getting exhausting. We decided to make a loop back up through some of the other drainages on my list, and then decide whether we wanted to face another windy night or pull up stakes. We hiked and glassed our way back towards the trail head, marking spots that looked promising for our trip back down in a couple of weeks. We hadn’t seen anything more for a couple of hours, and between the wind and the miles, we were both getting a little tunnel vision.

We were just bracing ourselves for the gale as we crested another ridge, when Hunting Husband dropped to his knee in front of me. That only means one thing. He just happened to glance up and saw some elk on a little knob out in the wide open below us. We quickly crawled around to a vantage point for a better look.

There were several cows bedded and standing on top of this little knob, with more coming and going into a little cut that went down the leeward side of the knob. We could just see the back of one bull in the cut, but it took a while for him to feed out into the open. From 600 yards away, he looked decent. Not a monster, but better than most of what we had seen so far. Fairly long points, decent beams. We looked at him for a while, and the longer we watched him, the better he looked. I decided I wanted to get closer, and if I still liked what I saw, I’d try to get him.

We had to crawl back out, then circumnavigate a hill to get some terrain between us and the elk. Luckily, the only possibly route for a stalk put the wind in our favor. First time all day I wasn’t cursing the wind 😀 By this point, we’d been watching these elk for about half an hour but still didn’t have a great idea how many there were. Once we got around, we realized there was a big drainage below the knob we had spotted the cows on initially, and there were more elk than we realized. By this time we could see 20 or so cows, a couple of spikes, and two branch bulls. One of the bulls was a little guy, the other was the nicer one I had seen from the top. There was one tree on our side of the hill, and we were able to use it to close the distance to about 320 yards. I had a good look at the bigger bull from there. He was a nice looking bull, and better than what we’d seen so far. After a little discussion, Hunting a Husband asked if I would be happy with that one and I said yes. So next plan...how am I going to kill him?

6D7553D9-9210-429A-B5E9-645689FAC352.jpeg

Great story and nice photos. I hope to get back there someday. Sorry to hear the bull escaped this time but I’m certain your persistence will pay off.

From where we were, the shot would be almost but not quite straight into the wind, at about 320. I tried using the tree as a rest, but the wind was blowing both me and the tree around. The crosshairs were all over...there was no way I was taking that shot. We were otherwise on a steep side hill with tall grass and sage, so prone was out. We were out of cover, and with elk still bedded on the knob above their little cut, we would never make it. So we waited, and I watched the bull wander farther down the cut and out of sight. Sort of a sinking feeling.

After what seemed like hours, but really probably 10 minutes, the last two lookouts on the knob got up and headed down out of sight. We got up and hustled to the last hill left between us. 320 yds was too far for these conditions, but if this last one worked they were going to be in my face. We got to the hill, dumped our backpacks, and started crawling. I got to the top and could see elk through the grass at less than 100 yards. And yet again, were still more than we thought.We laid right on the crest of the hill in some sage, and watched for the bull to make an appearance. One finally came out, but seemed smaller than the one we were after. Another came out, and he looked like my boy. He was running around, harassing cows and thrashing bushes, but not presenting a clear shot. I was watching him, waiting for my chance when some movement off to the right caught my eye. I looked over just in time to see one very heavy antler disappear behind the sagebrush.

I was pretty sure I would recognize a “wow” bull if I saw it, and the top of that antler was “wow”, at least to me.
I whispered to Hunting Husband that there was another bull and I think he’s a good one. It felt like slow motion when he finally walked out, but he was the no doubt bull I was really hoping to find. I crawled forward to clear the vegetation, got on my elbow and got ready. As soon as he gave me a broadside chance, I took it.

It felt good, and by his reaction I knew he was hit hard. But several wise men have said “if he’s still standing, I’m still shooting”, and that seemed appropriate. He walked down around his cows, and when he turned up the hill I hit him again. He stopped there, and fell at the third. I felt numb, from wind and adrenaline. Couldn’t believe what just happened.

5A8C2F5E-F8A4-401E-BB7F-B0EDCD9327C3.jpeg

EDF98D6A-4B7A-4B32-AD58-D747C80E8E9D.jpeg

When this whole thing started, I just wanted a decent mature 6 point. I know nothing about scores. But I’ve always kind of dreamed of those old bulls with lots of mass, messed up noses and big pot bellies. I wasn’t sure how realistic that was going to be. This guy has everything I wanted. Gnarly, scarred up face, Roman nose, heavy antlers, hardly any teeth left. Perfect.

We packed one load out last night. That put us at about 15 miles on the boots Saturday. I was beat. Luckily we got a couple of friends to help finish the packing this afternoon. I’m sore, but the wine is helping 😀

I just wanted to thank all the HTers who sent PMs to offer knowledge, tips and encouragement. This is a damn good crowd to be a part of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back