Wall Tents 101- educate me

I would just add one more Very Important Item....... GET A GOOD STOVE!!!! Not too many things suck as bad during a blowing snowstorm than trying to get a stove to "work". This does not mean it has to be super high dollar but one that just works...... 5" pipe works great for moving smoke and has more surface area to poach heat off of in the tent. I set up a moose camp in a storm only to find out the stove we had was not going to cooperate, we made it work but you could have smoked a whole moose inside the tent.

For my money,it's Riley Stoves,even my older model still works perfectly

Last edited:
Anyone have this? 4lbs 8 oz.

2man_main-ericlynn.jpg

Features & Construction
Fabric:
- Ultralight Cloth for durability and weight savings.
- Waterproof - outlasts UV coating two to one!
- #8 Zipper: won't jam and opens easily even in the coldest weather
- Single Door
- Mosquito Netting is optional
- Clothes Line: hang gear and dry out clothing
- Self stuffing Sack: built into shelter, makes a handy ditty bag when pitched.
- Colors: white or Coyote Brown
- Stovepipe port: fireproof patch with rain flap
sawtooth_interior.jpg

comparable price to the titanium goat tipi versions such as CSutton's. $800...

Source: http://www.kifaru.net/sawtooth.html

I don't have the Sawtooth, but I do have it's cousin the Paratipi.

Top notch ultra-light shelter. Perfect for bivy hunting IMO.

The fabric is ultra light and strong, but it is no match for falling branches, pinecones, and sparks. All of which are inevitable. In september I woke up to a pencil sized branch sticking through my Para-tipi. One of my sheep hunting buddies named Oscar accidently punched through it with his pack frame.....It is very lightweight and puncture prone.

For base camp duty, I want something heavier.

I pulled the trigger this morning on a 12'x14' tent package from Davis Tent. It comes with one window, screen door, floor, angle kit, and stove.

I'll need to buy and cut the EMT for the frame.

I will be comfy for that November muley hunt in NV. I've secured up to 14 days of vacation to make it happen.

Last edited:
wall tents

Well I guess we are spoiled in our camp compared to most,,we have (2) 14 x 16 wall tents with 6 ft sidewalls,, one tent is just a sleep tent and the other the cook tent,we put them end to end so you can walk all the way into the sleep tent. We have rubber backed carpets for the floor and a wood stove in each tent,we also have an awning that extends another 12 ft beyond that,,we use that outside area to cover our firewood and other gear that doesnt need to be inside the tent, We built all of our own frames out of conduit,,I treated the tents before we used them and I try to coat them atleast every other year,have never had any leaks and we have used them in a fair amount of snow,,they are made by Reliable tent,,we have invested only $1700.00 for both tents and frames.Family Christmas Dinner dining hall 002.jpg

Family Christmas Dinner dining hall 007.jpg

Way cool and impressed. Only thing is, in Idaho there is not a flat spot that large once you get out of the city.

Well I guess we are spoiled in our camp compared to most,,we have (2) 14 x 16 wall tents with 6 ft sidewalls,, one tent is just a sleep tent and the other the cook tent,we put them end to end so you can walk all the way into the sleep tent. We have rubber backed carpets for the floor and a wood stove in each tent,we also have an awning that extends another 12 ft beyond that,,we use that outside area to cover our firewood and other gear that doesnt need to be inside the tent, We built all of our own frames out of conduit,,I treated the tents before we used them and I try to coat them atleast every other year,have never had any leaks and we have used them in a fair amount of snow,,they are made by Reliable tent,,we have invested only $1700.00 for both tents and frames.View attachment 30226

View attachment 30227

I waffled back and forth this fall about whether to buy a wall tent or something lighter. Ended up buying a Cabelas Alaknak in the 12x12 size. A buddy and I stayed in it 6 nights, and I really like it. I bought a Colorado Cylinder Stove for it, which is made right here in GJ. I bought some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot to use as a floor liner, and it was like sitting in your living room at home.

I think that there are situations where a wall tent would be preferred over the Alaknak, but it will work great for 90% of what I do. Davis Tent and Awning donates a wall tent to the RMBS banquet each spring, and they usually sell very reasonably. I know Davis will exchange it if you buy and want something different. I'm going to try to get one of those stoves above for it this year.

Do you think this size is best for just two people, three people might be pushing it but doable...but more then that then probably a 12x20?

Looks like your getting to host a wedding reception.

we have used it for the family christmas dinner,,could seat 48 people inside the 2 tents with all of the tables and chairs,with both of the woodstoves going it was very comfortable.dont have enough room in the house for that many so the tents worked perfectly. If you are hunting where you can drive to,,why not make it more comfortable.Trailers just dont do it for me.

T Bone, you made a great choice. I have been using my Davis tent for five yeara now without fail. I have the 14x16 and set it up myself in no time. We eat, sleep and have our gear in it, to include the stove. With my tent four guys are the max with gear. I will be comfy in my tent so I wont sleep nuts to butts just to prove it will hold ten guys. I don't use a fly and have had ice sickles down to the ground on it and never had a leak. Also have had a few windy montana nights and the tent never budged. It is very importanat to use every guy line, should be at least around 12 for your size tent. Awesome choice in a wall tent. Also, I love the internal frame, I felt sorry looking at some of those pics with all the lost space due to not properly setting it up. Montana winds would have destroyed those setups.

T Bone, you made a great choice. I have been using my Davis tent for five yeara now without fail. I have the 14x16 and set it up myself in no time. We eat, sleep and have our gear in it, to include the stove. With my tent four guys are the max with gear. I will be comfy in my tent so I wont sleep nuts to butts just to prove it will hold ten guys. I don't use a fly and have had ice sickles down to the ground on it and never had a leak. Also have had a few windy montana nights and the tent never budged. It is very importanat to use every guy line, should be at least around 12 for your size tent. Awesome choice in a wall tent. Also, I love the internal frame, I felt sorry looking at some of those pics with all the lost space due to not properly setting it up. Montana winds would have destroyed those setups.

It looks like 16' can go either way, a 3 column or 4 column frame. Curious which one you went with?

Back