PEAX Equipment

Wall Tents 101- educate me

Ahhh, I understand. NW area - I tend to be in treed areas more often then not - Wind has not played a major factor. From start to finish - stove and all - makes sense, Was thinking there was something I was completely unaware of. Thanks

Did you leave your EMT in long pieces or cut it into short pieces and use couplers? The turf sounds interesting, but wouldn't it get heavy when it gets wet?

Left them in long pieces...I've always been a fan of simple is better for things like that.

Hardly anything makes a better camp.

DSCN2928.JPG

Last edited:
They are nice!!

I have a 12 x 14 and it's great, but mobility is an issue. I am considering a stove jacked tipi tent for 2-3 man adventures and my wall tent for a bigger crowd. Be warned, once you go wall tent you can easily fill a truck and trailer with wall tent accesories. Cots, pads, tables, chairs, lanters, stoves, cooking stoves etc. it can be a slippery slope. Where does necessity end and luxury begin? That being said when your elk hunting in Craig CO in December and it's -20 degrees and your sipping a 7&7 in your T-shirt, wall tents are mighty nice!

LOTS of great comments (agree completely with summit)- I've got the same size as summit (Colorado Tent Co) and its perfect for 3-4 guys and a wood stove. I bought the protective clear tarp also to help keep it clean and extra protection from ashes. My only few complaints are the mobility also and the care that is needed to make sure it is put away dry. Its basically a cabin once you get it set up and a tarp over the front for cooking etc.. You'll love it!

I ended up buying a 12X14 from Davis tent. I picked out one of the packages they have and added some custom things to the tent. For me I added a door in the back, windows on both sides and had them install screens in the doors as I can use this tent during the summer with the family. With the package I have a cylinder stove with a water tank on the side. The water tank is great as you have hot water any time you want when the stove is going, I was going to purchase the internal frame but Davis talked me out of it and suggested going with their traditional pole set. This surprised me as it they could have gotten more money had they not talked me into the other poles. With the traditional poles I have no problem setting the tent up by myself. I have a floor that doesn't snap in but lays there on top of the flaps.

Nothing like living in a wall tent

Great Thread. I am going to invest in a Base Camp tent and am going back and forth between the Alaknak and a Wall tent. I am also considering a Cabela's Outfitter 8 as most of my hunts are early.

One question I did not see mentioned in this thread. Is "Fire Treated" fabric a must for a wall tent?

For a wall tent I am considering the 12x14. Is this the right size for 3-4 guys?

Thanks

3 guys would be snug 4 guys you better be real close buddies in a 12x14. i love my 12x14 for 2 guys even nicer for just my big ole butt lol

I think 4 guys in a 12X14 is very doable if you are able to cook & eat someplace else. I use my wall tent in the summer when we're camping and in the early fall during the archery season so cooking and eating outdoors is no problem.

However if it were winter and we needed a stove for heat and to cook and eat in the tent it would be like gman says--you'd be better be real close buddies.

We put up a camp every year. We have home made bunk beds and sleep 4 real well. Use some rubber mats by the beds. You will be cleaning that floor out until you get dizzy. A 12 x14 tent is about just right. Still easy to put up. We use a tarp as a rain fly. We've been using the same tents for 26 years and they are still in good shape. You have a lot of good suggestions in all the threads above. Good luck.

I have spent more nights in a wall tent than I can remember.I would recommend starting out fairly simple ..I have stayed in internal framed tents ,really nice, but the whole pkg is pretty pricey and heavy. I pack mine on my horses and prefer to go lighter,I use a 10x 12 which works for three,a little tight but it works.12x14 is ideal if you can stand the weight .I can't.
I pack a fiberglass three ft sectioned ridge pole when I don't fill like a can cut one down. I cut the end poles(uprights) at camp. My tent is not flame resistant and I re water proof it about every three years(canvak).My tent must be about 20 yrs old by now and still in great shape. For two I have a spike tent 8x8.5 x104" tall single pole in center,fits two cots and gear just fine.. Summer time I pack a Cabelas outback lodge 10x10...Buy what is right for you.Happy camping.

Last edited:
A few wall tent pics.

Start with some real good ones, thanks to Troy.

Calm night before the storm.
OYOA Randy Newberg 15.jpg

So much for clear and sunny.
OYOA Randy Newberg 16.jpg

OYOA Randy Newberg 17.jpg

Then amateur hour.

A tight canvas keeps the snow off.
IMG_4395.JPG

A good stove serves many purposes.
IMG_4385.JPG

The reason I like the plastic windows.
IMG_4382.JPG

Picture reference for a 12x12 Range tent Montana Canvas Relight

Attachments

• Big Hole Bow Hunt 10-1-09 002.jpg
    Big Hole Bow Hunt 10-1-09 002.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 7,844
2011 hunt camp pics.

Camp stove - warming up dinner:

picture.php

Main camp setting:

picture.php

From the vestuble:

picture.php

Relaxing fire:

picture.php

Nothing like a great camp to return to. This is my 2011 hunt setting. 2010 hunt camp setting is in some distant oyoa elk subforum.

I have 3 Davis tents a 8x10, 12x14, and a 14x16 and they have been outstanding. There customer service is awsome and they always have very good deals. I have had my tents for at least 7 years and have never had a problem, and I also have never had to put a tarp over them to help protect it from snow or rain. My tents are set up at least 5 times a year and they are very easy for one person to do. I would highly recommend them.

CABugle

They are mule deer. Colorado 2nd season 2006. We froze our butts off in that tent, but we had a great time.

picture.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back