Wall tent Pros/Cons

IMO;
12x14 minimum will work up to three people. Four will fit if needed.
Never store a canvas tent w/ moisture. Mold has destroyed one of my tents that had many+ memories of each hunt/ trip sharpied on the doors/walls. A heck of an enjoyable walk down memory lane each use. I'm paranoid of this and hang dry my tent in the garage for a couple days before packing.
Do not dry clean every year nor every other... The more a wall tent is cleaned, the less the canvas threading swells and the more prone it become towards water leaks. Cleaning eventually breaks down the fabric. Clean rarely as needed.
I've not used floored tents. My experience has been just fine w/o a floor.
I like doors on both sides. Toggles w/ flap is ideal... Not a fan of zippers.
Never had canvas w/windows...
I like 4' vs 3' walls. Cots along walls much more comfortable with angled ceiling further from face and sitting on cot/fold chair.
I go back and forth on a tarp over... Pros v cons. Simple tarped entry is always nice added storage / relax area.
Seem to be the stand out features. Older I get, the better the camper appeal becomes for trucked base camp.

Wall tents sure keep with the setting and a great step up for heat, comfort, etc from the chilly small crouched tents.

-Having only used my for a short while, I have not regretted it. Keep an eye out of deals (Davis runs them regularly)
-I'd think longevity would be longer with a well taken care of tent. I like that I'll have to do LESS maintenance on one vs a camper.
-I went with Davis due to reputation, customer service and their deals.
-For a total of 3 people, I'd go bigger, especially if you use a stove and cots. They eat up a bit of space. Most cots are close to 7' long, there for you could not set up two cots along any wall in a 10X12.
-Maintenance and storage for me put the wall tent way ahead of a camper for my situation.

IMO;
sharpied on the doors/walls. A heck of an enjoyable walk down memory lane each use.
We do the same thing. We always read all the stories from each past trip when we set the tent up. Great memories.

IMO;
many+ memories of each hunt/ trip sharpied on the doors/walls. A heck of an enjoyable walk down memory lane each use.

What a great idea. I am definitely going to start doing this with the one we bought last year.

I am considering a Kodiak flexbow and using a buddy heater for cold nights but has anyone struggled with the propane heaters at altitudes of 7,000 plus foot. Oxygen sensor kicks them off?

I have a 10x15 wall tent plus a cook tent. I have army surplus stoves in both. A canvas tarp over the tent keeps the frost from forming on the inside of the tent from your breath as well as keeping it warmer.
As much as I liked the camps, I quit when the kids left. It's too much to set up and tear down by yourself.

14x14 Davis. I really like it. You can fit three people in it comfortable. 4 is doable but tight. I've ran it with a Mr buddy and with a stove both and they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
It's not bad setting up. Does take up alot of space in the truck but it's worth it if you're staying more than 5 days. Otherwise we bring the Alaknak since it's a little smaller and faster to put up. It's nowhere near as nice nice however as far as condensation and such. IMG_20190923_191428595_HDR.jpg

Get a Snowtrekker. https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/canvas-tents/
All the pros of a wall tent with the benefit of a light, aluminum frame that breaks down into 3', or less sections, and made from NCM_0007.JPGa lightweight 7 oz. pure cotton canvas. Duane at Snowtrekker is great to deal with, and they will custom make some features of your tent if you ask.
Totally dry your tent after use (never store even damp) and it will last darn near forever. One thing I didn't see mentioned is to store the tent somewhere that mice can't get into it. Mice love to nest in folded cotton canvas tents and they will chew a hole through the canvas resulting in holes all over when you unfold the tent.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back