NEW SITKA Ambient 75

walking efficiently

Hunter&Huntress

On the podcast Randy and Steve Rinella did they mentioned that they could walk there younger selves into the ground. Randy had mentioned that he found ways to walk more efficiently? I was wondering what you guys thought about this. what have you found to help you go further? I am 27 right not and whenever I go elk hunting I find my self wearing out long before I should. I know a lot has to do with my conditioning but thought I would throw it out there and see what comes up.

If you're getting tired at 27. You need to workout more.

I was running up the mountains at your age.

Hiking poles can be of assistance.
But getting fit/fitter helps, so says this 55 year old fart!
Cheers
Richard

I cover less miles per hunting day. I carry a lighter pack. Lighter boots. Lighter rifle. Lighter binos. I use hiking sticks if will be tacking a grade over 30%. Does that mean I could out hike my younger self? No. Certainly not for 4 or 5 days straight. I hunt pronghorn and deer more than elk, mainly due to pack out considerations. There are hunts I did 5 years ago I would not attempt today and several I would not attempt from 20 years ago. I am painfully aware of my limitations to bounce back and heal when a hunt goes bad.

I certainly have plenty of hunts I can still go on and am as successful on filling my tag as ever and get far more enjoyment on hunts now as I will stop to take a few pictures rather than immediately get moving on down the trail.

I'm not getting any younger and have been focussing on not wasting energy while hunting.

Light gear and the right type of fitness training are the key but I also go much slower (avoid walking pass animals!), when climbing a hill don't take a downward step unless you need to (will make a diffidence when walking 5+ miles a day up hills) and use your binos to look ahead rather than walk. The right food is also very important.

Last edited:
Do you guys find walking sticks to be a hassle? I have never tried them never thought the would make that big of a difference.

I thought the same thing. I used to think trekking poles were for old guys and backpacking hippies that didn't know what they were doing.

Last summer I bought a pair of Leki corklites and wish I would have done it sooner. They really come in handy in steep terrain and especially when there is snow on the ground. I handed my trekking pole off to my buddies sister on a mt goat hunt this year and I was surprise at how much harder the hiking was without it.

You may need to adjust your strategy as well. When I first started elk hunting I just hammered out miles and never really sat down to look around. Even though I was in pretty good shape, I came to realize that I couldn't do that day after day for very long. While you do need to cover miles to find animals, you can do a lot of walking with your eyes. Hike hard to a good vantage point and just sit there for awhile and look around. It may seem boring and pointless at first, but it'll save your energy for when you actually see animals and then you can put that energy into stalking what you have already spotted.
Also, be sure to properly fuel yourself. May seem simple but I have found that I really have to make a point of eating and drinking water in the woods. It takes some experimenting, but you'll find something that works for you. There are plenty of articles out there about how to condition yourself for mountain hunting and how to fuel up. Enjoy.

I tend to let my eyes do more of the traveling rather than my legs. When I was young (and fairly dumb) I used to cover as many miles in a day as possible. I often came upon running game tracks...I wonder why? Once I slowed down I started seeing more game rather than just their tracks!

Trekking poles are great on uneven terrain...especially when carrying a hefty pack. They not only stabilize but put a lot less stress on knees, thighs, and back. I don't hunt too much using poles (they are pretty darn noisy) but they are great for hauling camp/meat.

As LopeHunter mentioned above, I've also improved my gear. Replacing heavy, bulky items with smaller-lighter weight gear certainly helps. Obviously this comes at a pretty high $ price!

Lastly, I have a job working outdoors where I stay in super shape year round. I really think having a healthy diet and staying active year round will pay big dividends as I get older. I do an incredible amount of hiking on steep, uneven terrain that is similar to what I do every day hunting.

Well looks like I will have to purchase some trek poles. And learn to be more patient. I always have the urge to go look over the next hill! Hopefully hauling 3 babies around all the time will get me in shape cause I don't think I'm going to be going on to many hikes this year.

The only way I stay in any shape at all is running multiple miles multiple times a week.

+1
Core work 2-3 timers per week for an hour. Have only been to a chiro one time since July 2014. And yes, I would rather be side-hilling. My eyes can cover more ground than looking up at the hill in front of my feet. But, old guy JMHO.

Core strength is a big factor as well. If you have a pack on and are navigating over obstacles or loose ground a weak core can zap you in a hurry.

Look at the time results for most ultra marathons. The 40-60 age group is always well represented. In fact, there usually aren't very many competitors from the <30 age group at all. Obviously, a person's athletic potential is greater at 20 than at 60 but the mental game takes years to master. I don't see where hunting in the mountains is any different.

Look at the time results for most ultra marathons. The 40-60 age group is always well represented. In fact, there usually aren't very many competitors from the <30 age group at all. Obviously, a person's athletic potential is greater at 20 than at 60 but the mental game takes years to master. I don't see where hunting in the mountains is any different.

I agree with this statement 100%! I am 48 and in the best shape of my life. I'm always talking about the mental aspect of why that is.

Do you guys find walking sticks to be a hassle? I have never tried them never thought the would make that big of a difference.

I tried trekking poles for the first time this year. They are great and absolutely worth it if you have a load on your back. I came down the same steep snowy hill with a deer on my back for the second year in a row, and this year was waaaaaay easier on the knees using the poles. I even found that they helped with climbing if I shortened them up a bit. I can also wrap the straps together for use as shooting sticks...

Ok I have another question. When I am packing out heavy pack the thing that gets to me the most is my shoulders. They start burning like crazy. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back