MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Virginia Gun Rights Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The law of diminishing returns suggest there is a point at which "the left" will decide further pursuing gun legislation is no longer worth the cost. "

;)

Exactly the opposite. On an NPR interview two years ago a leading gun control advocate shared with the audience that if you have a gun in your home you are a bad parent. As in the child is endangered. I believe the host was Terry Gross who oh yessed and nodded right along. He then went on to say, after she prompted him, that "assault rifles" were the step they felt they could accomplish now, but that they recognized handguns are where the true danger lies and they would push for banning them when it was possible.

There is no half measure with this debate. Those on the left who are pursuing this see no reason for firearm ownership. They never mention the use for defense or even as a disincentive to criminals to prey on others. All they want is the guns, all of them, gone.

Anyone who claims differently is either naive or dishonest.

Local mom n pop gun store went from selling 10 guns a week to 40 guns a week this last month.
Sportsman's gun rack and ammo shelves are empty. Guy behind counter said they sold 400 guns last month.

Exactly the opposite. On an NPR interview two years ago a leading gun control advocate shared with the audience that if you have a gun in your home you are a bad parent. As in the child is endangered. I believe the host was Terry Gross who oh yessed and nodded right along. He then went on to say, after she prompted him, that "assault rifles" were the step they felt they could accomplish now, but that they recognized handguns are where the true danger lies and they would push for banning them when it was possible.

There is no half measure with this debate. Those on the left who are pursuing this see no reason for firearm ownership. They never mention the use for defense or even as a disincentive to criminals to prey on others. All they want is the guns, all of them, gone.

Anyone who claims differently is either naive or dishonest.

"The law of diminishing returns suggest there is a point at which "the left" will decide further pursuing gun legislation is no longer worth the cost. "
1581028681021.png

Most productive = flame throwers, RPG, Nukes
Diminishing returns= hand guns, assault weapons
Negative returns = hunting arms

In the context of appealing to the voters of this county where a majority of the electorate owns a firearm. 57% Republicans, 48% Independents and 28% Democrats own a firearm with 42% of all households in the country having guns.

The slippery slope argument is a political impossibility in this country.

View attachment 127626

In the context of appealing to the voters of this county where a majority of the electorate owns a firearm. 57% Republicans, 48% Independents and 28% Democrats own a firearm with 42% of all households in the country having guns.

I would normally agree with the law of diminishing returns, but in this case I don't think it applies. Typically a group gets taken over by it's most radical elements over a period of time. Take our political parties for example. They always steer to the extreme, fail and get rebuilt. Repeat process. The anti gun movement's goal is to get rid of guns. Cost effectiveness is not one of their concerns. And yes I know there is more than one anti gun group, I was painting with broad strokes.

I would likely agree at hunting firearms, but I will strongly disagree with anyone who thinks handguns and autoloaders are safe.

View attachment 127626

This will hold true. But the risk is that negative returns ends up being pocket knifes or scissors.

This will hold true. But the risk is that negative returns ends up being pocket knifes or scissors.
In our milieu, highly unlikely. Also I’m not making a argument to say you should not give a crap about new gun laws, which is how I think this is being interpreted. You absolutely should, and I commend the majority of the VA protestors for how they conducted themselves. My argument is that arguments for guns in the AR, “assault” weapon category” need to be able to stand on their own merits and the use of slippery slope to co-opt the utilitarian argument for sporting arms doesn’t carry water for me personally.

In our milieu, highly unlikely. Also I’m not making a argument to say you should not give a crap about new gun laws, which is how I think this is being interpreted. You absolutely should, and I commend the majority of the VA protestors for how they conducted themselves. My argument is that arguments for guns in the AR, “assault” weapon category” need to be able to stand on their own merits and the use of slippery slope to co-opt the utilitarian argument for sporting arms doesn’t carry water for me personally.
I guess to the question as to why do I need an AR? because I want it. My grandfather had a weapon that he used in WWI and my dad had an M1 like the one he used in WWII. they both never used them to hunt as far as I know and we only took them out to go and do some shooting and dad would talk about times that he used it later on in life. So why can I not have the same thing? It is not the gun or the bullets that do the killing. it is the people. I can not see the future and don't know what kind of weapons that we will have in the future, one thing I do know is that they can sit in a corner for a hundred years and never hurt or kill anyone. It takes someone to pick it up and use it with bad intentions.

How do we stop that? I do not know but enforcing the laws that we have would be a good start. the way I look at it is we can be free or we can be safe but not both.

I guess to the question as to why do I need an AR? because I want it. My grandfather had a weapon that he used in WWI and my dad had an M1 like the one he used in WWII. they both never used them to hunt as far as I know and we only took them out to go and do some shooting and dad would talk about times that he used it later on in life. So why can I not have the same thing? It is not the gun or the bullets that do the killing. it is the people. I can not see the future and don't know what kind of weapons that we will have in the future, one thing I do know is that they can sit in a corner for a hundred years and never hurt or kill anyone. It takes someone to pick it up and use it with bad intentions.

How do we stop that? I do not know but enforcing the laws that we have would be a good start. the way I look at it is we can be free or we can be safe but not both.

That’s one of the narratives I’ve heard from friends as well and I prefer it to slippery slope.

A slippery slope argument (SSA), in logic, critical thinking, political rhetoric, and caselaw, is often viewed as a logical fallacy in which a party asserts that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant (usually negative) effect.

A certain political party in VA has placed the opportunity for criminal aliens to receive legal State driver's license in Virginia. Slippery slope? Naaa… ;)

Having guns keeps us free. I had dinner with my girlfriends 90 year old grandmother a few weeks ago and the gun control topic came up at the dinner table because one of the guests who is ultra liberal most likely stoned at the time also, Im serious. Well anyway Grammy who spent a few years in Germany during reconstruction immediately following WWII made a point to tell the gun control advocate her German memories of conversations with many German people while she lived in Germany how the Nazis & Hitler first controlled the people by controlling the media and then convinced them Germany would be a much safer more civilized society without guns. Folks and you know the rest of the story.
Armalite Rifle > why in the world would someone call it an assault rifle. I'll tell you why because they want others to not like the gun. I have never heard a friend or a pro gun owner say hey I'm going shooting my Assault rifle.

Having guns keeps us free. I had dinner with my girlfriends 90 year old grandmother a few weeks ago and the gun control topic came up at the dinner table because one of the guests who is ultra liberal most likely stoned at the time also, Im serious. Well anyway Grammy who spent a few years in Germany during reconstruction immediately following WWII made a point to tell the gun control advocate her German memories of conversations with many German people while she lived in Germany how the Nazis & Hitler first controlled the people by controlling the media and then convinced them Germany would be a much safer more civilized society without guns. Folks and you know the rest of the story.
Armalite Rifle > why in the world would someone call it an assault rifle. I'll tell you why because they want others to not like the gun. I have never heard a friend or a pro gun owner say hey I'm going shooting my Assault rifle.

Flag on the play.

While there is a real history of racial subjecation in the United States around gun control (That's right, gun control is racist), using the Nazi's as an argument in support of gun rights is a logical fallacy.

View attachment 127626

Tell that to Australia.

Tell that to Australia.
Myanmar... would be a better example.

Though there isn’t a country with our per capita guns that got rid them, so not perfect corollary.

Because this seems to get lost on people, I’m a dude on a hunting forum, who owns guns, and is building rifles and loading his ammo...so if I say an argument is weak... well... good luck

Our team needs to think more and articulate our position better, is what I’m driving at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Myanmar... would be a better example.
British controlled colonies... would be a better example, lest the birth of the United States has already been forgotten.

British controlled colonies... would be a better example, lest the birth of the United States has already been forgotten.

Do you want me to let you finishing reading the Wikipedia page...

1824-1948, and they completely banned all private firearms ownership... which Australia had yet to do.

Your edit and my post overlapped, Wllm. I was adding to events of established historical precedence related to the topic, adding to your original, pre edited post.
Not in opposition. 😉
Revolution is draconian in thought to our cherished AOC leaders of tomorrow...

Your edit and my post overlapped, Wllm. I was adding to events of established historical precedence related to the topic, adding to your original, pre edited post.
Not in opposition. 😉
Revolution is draconian in thought to our cherished AOC leaders of tomorrow...
In the words of Alex Guinness “don’t let the commies take yo guns”

not really... and Thailand not Myanmar but I’ve had a couple glasses of wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back