Veteran's Day buck

pointingdogsrule

Veteran's Day buck. I'll shoot a doe before I would shoot a small buck so it's been a while since I've shot a buck. This year has been my slowest year ever. Yesterday I sat most all day and only saw three doe. I still had a grand time because I love being with nature. "Any day in a tree is better then a day working" (no offense to my clients who I LOVE) :) Well I went out this Veteran's Day morning and could only sit until 9 am. I had to visit some cows at 9:30 :) 40 degrees and a slight northwest wind. I've shot my biggest deer with northwest winds and love being in the stands on those days. I saw nothing until 7:30 when this guy appeared at the far end of the picked cornfield. I didn't have to think twice about shooting him. He was paralleling my woods and following a corn row that had some high stubble. Earlier I had ranged that row of high stubble at 30 yards. My sight was set at 30 yards, so no need to panic. At 80 yards I stood up as clam as could be and prepared myself for the 30 yard shot. "Loose grip, aim small & do NOT punch the trigger". He stopped for a split second and my arrow flew true. Double lung as he ran 60 yards and toppled over in the picked cornfield. Yes I was excited as it has been 5 years since I last shot a buck. The big guys don't seem to come easy for me :)

5 x 5 with some trash. Lots of character. Dark rack (first that dark). Lots of mass.

That's the best smile that I have :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
Congratulations on your 2016 big boy. You might have passed on him several times over the years to let him get this size.

Beautiful buck Pointingdogrule. Love the extra trash and mass on that rack.

Last edited:
Back