Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

VA. elk taken once more

brownbear932008

bland-county-elk.jpgHere is an elk taken near my home in VA. the animal was a KY. elk that had traveled over 100 miles from his home site most likely. This is 1 of around 30ish that have been taken in VA. since the KY. elk introduction..... VA. is offically beginning the elk restoration in or around May of 2012 with the first offical release of animals. The elk season in VA. has already been closed this year in the first 3 counties planned for release. It's amazing how far these animals will travel....:D

If only the people could be held under control I'm sure elk would thrive there, but when people are poaching them, and there's not a huge number it really hurts their chances! Would be great to see elk all over!

I may be wrong, but I thought VA really didn`t want neighboring elk wandering in the state and had no issue with anyone shooting them when they did. If that was true, why would VA wanting to start their own restoration? Either I was misinformed, or VA just realized the possible revenues that comes from elk hunts, like in KY.

genesis, you are exactly right Virginia didn't want elk thats why they are allowed to kill an elk in Virginia. And like you said I believe they saw how kentuckys herd has thrived and have now changed their mind. I'm not 100% sure on virginias original elk plan though did you have to use a deer tag or were they treated more as a non game species that needed no tag?

Virginia elk should do quite well especially with kentucky elk traveling this far plus now beginning their own restoration plan. Tennessee also has a herd not sure how close it is to the border of virginia but this may becoming a booming area for Big elk!

Oklahoma has one of the strangest elk policies. On state land you have to draw at tag which has really bad odds even for cow tags. However the moment the elk steps on private land they are fair game with OTC tags. Some places even have a 2 elk limit. Hard for the herd to really recover with such a contradictory policy. Great to see elk in so many eastern states though.

There are three counties in the SW corner of the state where elk are protected and can't be shot. This is where the reintroduction will happen if they go through with it. Outside of that area, they're fair game with a deer tag. Virginia has tried reintroducing elk before, but it wasn't successful due to poaching, which is still a problem. It will be interesting to see if it actually works this time around.

I'm wondering what the historic natural range of elk was, and, if elk did range all the way to Virginia, were they the Rocky Mtn. subspecies or something else that is now extinct.

I may be wrong, but I thought VA really didn`t want neighboring elk wandering in the state and had no issue with anyone shooting them when they did. If that was true, why would VA wanting to start their own restoration? Either I was misinformed, or VA just realized the possible revenues that comes from elk hunts, like in KY.

I guess they finally saw some money signs right? LOL No I feel the game department may have wanted the elk the whole time but the farmers where really the one's fighting the issue here.

Virginia elk should do quite well especially with kentucky elk traveling this far plus now beginning their own restoration plan. Tennessee also has a herd not sure how close it is to the border of virginia but this may becoming a booming area for Big elk!

Tennesee does have a small elk herd I think they actually started giving out the first tags this past year. It is fairly close to the VA. boarder also. And on top of that WV. is now monitoring elk numbers in the southren end of the state and considering a restoration plan. It's some exciting news to all these states I think in 10 years the area will do very well in this tri-state area

I agree with Zim. My research indictes that elk were prarie species, until the white man showed up and pushed them into the mountains. Funny how things work out, eh?

Tennesee does have a small elk herd I think they actually started giving out the first tags this past year. It is fairly close to the VA. boarder also. And on top of that WV. is now monitoring elk numbers in the southren end of the state and considering a restoration plan. It's some exciting news to all these states I think in 10 years the area will do very well in this tri-state area

WV has 4 bow hunting only counties that border the KY and VA area. Elk have been migrating (mostly bulls) into this steep country for a few years now. This area is going to be the elk restoration area for the state. The elk really love the reclaimed mines and studies in WV show the area could hold double the elk that KY has (10,000). WV will not bring the elk in but they won't stop them from coming over.

Elk Draft Plan WV

Back