MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Member, First Elk hunt. School Me !!

Braveheart

Hello all,

New Member here, I am going on my first elk hunt in Montana. I managed to score a general elk tag and a short term lease of 900 acres in (not far from Helena) GMU 335. I will be the only one hunting the lease. I will be staying at an Airbnb cabin about 2.7 miles from my lease. The lease is surrounded by National Forest and I can of course hunt that as well. The elevation at the lease ranges from 4600 to 5700. The national forest area is nearly 7000. I have seen several pictures of elk reportedly killed on the lease the last two years. I have also seen several pics of mule deer and bear as well. I have been reading all that I can read about elk and recently found this site. I read a lot of posts already and found some great information from this site already.

I live in Missouri and I have only really hunted whitetail deer. I did however travel to Montana almost 20 years ago on a successful mule deer hunt. I have acquired some gear for the hunt already. I got a pair of Schnee mountain boots and have been wearing them for a few weeks and have about 30 miles on them. I got a set of gaiters. I have never used those before.

I also had to acquire a backpack with a frame (eberlestock) that can haul meat. I plan on taking my Leupold 10x42 BX-4 Guide binos. I have a spotting scope from Vortex but to be honest it's not very great as I just use it for the range mostly to view my targets. I plan on just taking binos. I will be carrying a Legendary Arms Works rifle in 300 win mag (suppressed) with some hand loaded 200 grain Hornady Eld-X bullets. It has a Leupold VX-6 scope on it which is good to go for that gun. I have shot a lot of rounds through this combo and killed several deer with it.

I still need to get a few things, wind direction powder, some elk calls. I planned on just getting a hoochie momma. I also need some game bags for meat. I have rangefinders and most everything else from being an avid whitetail hunter for years. I also have the basic survival stuff in my pack as well as a fire starter. I hope I don’t need that while on the lease.

I guess I have a lot of questions and I am just really excited about killing my first elk possibly. I have always dreamed of killing an elk. I will be a solo hunter and my plan is to stay on the lease for a few days before making any kind of move to chase elk anywhere else. I have read that GMU 335 is hunted easily and crowded, because of the many trails that exist in the public hunting ground being so close to Helena. I have been told that the best hunting in that unit is usually on private ground.

Besides watching hundreds of you tube videos, which I have, is there anything else you would recommend? I have no experience calling elk and plan to be kind of shy about that. My instinct is to set up on an ambush style hunt and glass. I used mostly tree stands and blinds to hunt whitetail. Any input would be appreciated. Also if anyone hunts that area and can tell me what to expect. I will be there Oct 23 thru Oct 30th. Thanks again for the great site with information!!!

Last edited:
I've hunted in that unit quite a bit, and depending on the location glassing can be pretty tough. Lots of thick timber and deadfall on public, but if your lease has some more open ground I'd focus on that in the mornings and evenings. Get in early and stay out late, most of the activity in the open happens in the first and last hour. Can't count on snow that early, but if you get lucky and some fresh snow falls, getting on a track and still hunting can be very effective, just go slower than you think you need to. Use the hunters on public surrounding your lease to your advantage - the area gets hit hard pretty much every day of the season so elk will definitely get pushed through the private and harder to access public. Second Beaver Hunter, no need to call in October. Honestly that area gets so many road bugles, elk seem to run from calls during the rut.

Edit to add: whether you get one or not, report back. Don't be the guy that joins up to ask for help and then disappears! Good luck.

Don't leave your cow call at home. I use a cheap Primos one called the Cowgirl, I think. I would never expect to "call in" anything with it, but when the bull of your dreams is about to walk out of sight, even a mediocre mew will usually make an elk stop and look at you.

QQ

The ranch has some cow pasture with lots of water, a small creek running through it, with several open fields and meadows, and both scattered and dense timber for cover. Is what I have been told with shots out to 450 yards.

Is the rancher around to update you on what he has been seeing leading up to your hunt? I'm wondering if later in the season might be better as they get pressured off of public? Interested to see how the leased private works out for you, depending on location, feed and weather it could be a gold mine.

The ranch has some cow pasture with lots of water, a small creek running through it, with several open fields and meadows, and both scattered and dense timber for cover. Is what I have been told with shots out to 450 yards.
I’d call to see if it’s irrigated grass. Elk love green grass. I’ve shot a few elk by waiting for them to go onto private ground to graze hay fields/pastures. If you have access to the private, they might stay on the lease for food and to avoid other hunters.

The Rancher is supposed to be around to tell me the latest elk movements and what he has been seeing and give me the lay of the land. I see on google earth and onx maps there is alot of green grass year around near the creek that runs through the property. I dont think its irrigated grass.

I also a see long electric high line that runs through the place.

Welcome to HT. That's beautiful country, you are in for a great experience! Start hiking early, get to a spot where you can watch them feed into their bedding area, and pay attention to the wind. Unlike whitetail hunting, don't get hung up on using scent covers/sprays/ etc. You're gonna be moving too much and too sweaty anyways. Wind direction is all that really matters. Once you see where they are, move in on them using the wind. Ambush hunting will only work if they are coming, but more often than not, you need to go to them. Once you know where they are bedded you have a couple options: still hunt the timber (usually ends in blowing them out), or set yourself up for when they come back out to feed in the evening.

Also, be ready for any weather, from -40 to +75. That's a volatile time of year. And if your lease doesn't pan out, don't be afraid to move. Elk cover a lot of ground.

Best of luck, looking forward to a great story!

Hello all,

New Member here, I am going on my first elk hunt in Montana. I managed to score a general elk tag and a short term lease of 900 acres in (not far from Helena) GMU 335. I will be the only one hunting the lease. I will be staying at an Airbnb cabin about 2.7 miles from my lease. The lease is surrounded by National Forest and I can of course hunt that as well. The elevation at the lease ranges from 4600 to 5700. The national forest area is nearly 7000. I have seen several pictures of elk reportedly killed on the lease the last two years. I have also seen several pics of mule deer and bear as well. I have been reading all that I can read about elk and recently found this site. I read a lot of posts already and found some great information from this site already.

I live in Missouri and I have only really hunted whitetail deer. I did however travel to Montana almost 20 years ago on a successful mule deer hunt. I have acquired some gear for the hunt already. I got a pair of Schnee mountain boots and have been wearing them for a few weeks and have about 30 miles on them. I got a set of gaiters. I have never used those before.

I also had to acquire a backpack with a frame (eberlestock) that can haul meat. I plan on taking my Leupold 10x42 BX-4 Guide binos. I have a spotting scope from Vortex but to be honest it's not very great as I just use it for the range mostly to view my targets. I plan on just taking binos. I will be carrying a Legendary Arms Works rifle in 300 win mag (suppressed) with some hand loaded 200 grain Hornady Eld-X bullets. It has a Leupold VX-6 scope on it which is good to go for that gun. I have shot a lot of rounds through this combo and killed several deer with it.

I still need to get a few things, wind direction powder, some elk calls. I planned on just getting a hoochie momma. I also need some game bags for meat. I have rangefinders and most everything else from being an avid whitetail hunter for years. I also have the basic survival stuff in my pack as well as a fire starter. I hope I don’t need that while on the lease.

I guess I have a lot of questions and I am just really excited about killing my first elk possibly. I have always dreamed of killing an elk. I will be a solo hunter and my plan is to stay on the lease for a few days before making any kind of move to chase elk anywhere else. I have read that GMU 335 is hunted easily and crowded, because of the many trails that exist in the public hunting ground being so close to Helena. I have been told that the best hunting in that unit is usually on private ground.

Besides watching hundreds of you tube videos, which I have, is there anything else you would recommend? I have no experience calling elk and plan to be kind of shy about that. My instinct is to set up on an ambush style hunt and glass. I used mostly tree stands and blinds to hunt whitetail. Any input would be appreciated. Also if anyone hunts that area and can tell me what to expect. I will be there Oct 23 thru Oct 30th. Thanks again for the great site with information!!!
Watch the wind, always the wind. Just me but I wouldn't use an eldx. Partition, accubond, ttsx would be my choice. Hunt for a bull but be willing to settle for a cow as imo they eat better. Good luck.

Watch the wind, always the wind. Just me but I wouldn't use an eldx. Partition, accubond, ttsx would be my choice. Hunt for a bull but be willing to settle for a cow as imo they eat better. Good luck.
This. Always the wind. Repeat that mantra. If you see a shortcut that remotely could send your scent to them, or you have to drop 1000 feet and climb 1500 to make sure you don't, choose the tougher route. If the elk aren't pressured they won't go far and you will have the time.

I wouldn't call shooting a cow settling though. To be too cliche, any elk is a trophy.

But meat quality is important, and if you see a herd of cows, don't shoot the one that steps out in front and seems to be in charge. Usually she is the "lead cow" and her meat will be tougher. Still tasty, but tougher.

Unless he drew the B tag for the area, it's bull or bust during rifle season.

If you have private land permission on the outskirts of NF, you’ll probably have no trouble finding elk. Lucky Turd.
G’luck

I just have a general elk tag. I did not really look into cow. In GMU 335 is the tag not also good for a cow elk?? Several people told me to take a cow esp on the last day. I will be hunting near Clancy, MT.

Also my other choice for a gun is 257 weatherby magnum loaded with 100 grain TTSX bullets. I figure that is too light. Its a hammer on deer.

I am bringing an older 30.06 as a backup gun. It shoots 165 grain hornady interlocks. It hasn't been out of the safe in 10 years. I am gonna shoot it a few times before I go.

Here in Missouri, I have been shooting the 6.5 grendel for deer. It drops them cold. I do own a creedmore but we wont talk about that!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back