Ute Indian Tribe says "No Wolves in our area"

windymtnman

Just read a news article where the Southern Ute Indian tribe sent CPW a letter saying that they don't want any Wolves released in the area they have some legal jurisdiction over. That area is a huge chunk of land in S.W. Colorado, and the tribal rights emanate from the 1874 Brunet Agreement where they were granted rights over land and resource use.

Good for them. The Colvilles actively manage the wolves on the reservation and even the north half. Just wish this state would allow the rest of us limited permits, don't think that will ever happen though, not when our Wildlife Commission is comprised of pro-predator commissioners.

Great speech.
In a nutshell:
"Our sovereignty demands your State's stupidity pay us for your f-up as woofs interfere with our lives[stock].
Tell us their location as they near our land. We will manage them ourselves as they will directly interfere with our ungulate population and compound an already challenging calving issue.
Our management will undoubtedly not fit your State's fudged up city dweller initiative naivete."

Side note... The tribal liaison, Thorpe, was enjoyable to watch/listen. Talk about a tough spot that basically $$$ holds the resounding resolution.

InformalBackKouprey-max-1mb.gif

47% of public comments were out of State...

@Oak , @elkduds , @Zach or others who may be in the know, they mentioned the public comment demographics and comments were available. Anyone have a link?

Best I could find where I thought the info would be found seems, no bueno.

Great speech.
In a nutshell:
"Our sovereignty demands your State's stupidity pay us for your f-up as woofs interfere with our lives[stock].
Tell us their location as they near our land. We will manage them ourselves as they will directly interfere with our ungulate population and compound an already challenging calving issue.
Our management will undoubtedly not fit your State's fudged up city dweller initiative naivete."

For those of us not quite as articulate....

Thanks for the woof's, this is for you..

@Oak , @elkduds , @Zach or others who may be in the know, they mentioned the public comment demographics and comments were available. Anyone have a link?

I’m on vacation this week, I’ll take a look when I get back.

Thanks for posting. I watched it last night. Jeff Davis’ intro was encouraging. The all-knowing and always outspoken commissioner Tutchton just completely the dismissed the Utes’ concerns and request to only release wolves north of I-70. His response was “doesn’t matter where you release them, wolves are gonna go where ever”. Yep, I hope they end up on the rez where you (CPW commission) have no jurisdiction and when you continue to ignore their (Ute) concerns I hope they file suit against the state of Colorado. I will say I am consistently impressed by the knowledge and professionalism of the CPW staff and officers.

Last edited:

Sorry, don't know. I'll post if I find out. Utes! Utes! Utes! Thanks, @Oak for posting.

I'm not sure. They may have been speaking directly to the commission on that and saying it was available to them, rather than it being posted online somewhere. Here's the wolf page.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back