Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Utah Spring Bear Hunt

I agree with your statement. Several nonhunters and even some hunters have opined that shooting a treed animal bayed by hounds is nonsporting and unchallenging. I would invite them to go on an actual mountain bear hunt and then give their opinion.
Yup! Hard, hard work!

Sounds like an exciting rewarding hunt! It doesn't take long on a hound hunt to figure out it's not about killing the quarry, it's all about the dogs.

I rendered the bear fat today. Now have a great supply of quality bear grease/oil. Taste is slightly sweet and neutral and no odor to speak of. Looking forward to bear lard buttermilk biscuits next weekend among other great food in coming months.63C12169-2CB7-469E-9B2E-F9AD97FA9040.jpeg

Attachments

• 03F5EA92-BCCC-41CE-AA66-068A03E96A27.jpeg
    03F5EA92-BCCC-41CE-AA66-068A03E96A27.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Outstanding recap. Congratulations on a very fine bear, and I would agree that a hound hunt for bears is challenging and as exciting as it comes.

Congratulations on the fine adventure Khunter.

Re the rendered fat: Will that need to be refrigerated/frozen? Shelf life?
I've heard Steven Rinella talk about pastry with bear as the fat source, raving about the flavors.

Congratulations on the fine adventure Khunter.

Re the rendered fat: Will that need to be refrigerated/frozen? Shelf life?
I've heard Steven Rinella talk about pastry with bear as the fat source, raving about the flavors.

Lasts indefinitely in freezer so most landed there.

I don’t know but I bet it lasts in refrigerator at least a month It doesn’t have the salt that bacon grease has and bacon grease lasts almost forever on the counter or in refrigerator.

So can’t last as long as that I reckon.

Super!! You may have made a hound hunt for bears slide up a notch or two on the bucket list. Well done and well told.

Great hunt recap. Enjoyed the pics. Hunting bear with dogs will be legal for the first time this fall here in Georgia on a couple of WMAs on a trial basis. Should be interesting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back