Utah Spring Bear Hunt

Khunter

I agree with your statement. Several nonhunters and even some hunters have opined that shooting a treed animal bayed by hounds is nonsporting and unchallenging. I would invite them to go on an actual mountain bear hunt and then give their opinion.
Yup! Hard, hard work!

Gerald Martin

Sounds like an exciting rewarding hunt! It doesn't take long on a hound hunt to figure out it's not about killing the quarry, it's all about the dogs.

Reactions: JLS

kansasdad

Congratulations on the fine adventure Khunter.

Re the rendered fat: Will that need to be refrigerated/frozen? Shelf life?
I've heard Steven Rinella talk about pastry with bear as the fat source, raving about the flavors.

Khunter

Congratulations on the fine adventure Khunter.

Re the rendered fat: Will that need to be refrigerated/frozen? Shelf life?
I've heard Steven Rinella talk about pastry with bear as the fat source, raving about the flavors.

Lasts indefinitely in freezer so most landed there.

I don’t know but I bet it lasts in refrigerator at least a month It doesn’t have the salt that bacon grease has and bacon grease lasts almost forever on the counter or in refrigerator.

So can’t last as long as that I reckon.

1_pointer

Super!! You may have made a hound hunt for bears slide up a notch or two on the bucket list. Well done and well told.

jbogg

Great hunt recap. Enjoyed the pics. Hunting bear with dogs will be legal for the first time this fall here in Georgia on a couple of WMAs on a trial basis. Should be interesting.