Utah Spring Bear Hunt

Khunter

0C7C5D57-E711-426F-B016-38896688C674.jpegGeez, Utah is proud of their bears. Took 10 years and 9 bonus points to pull this spring bear tag.

Start the hunt on Thursday. Fortunate to have some cool guys with hounds who volunteered to take me under their wing so should be a blast and I should learn a ton a bout bears—a critter I have hardly hunted.

A view like this, on a big bear is what I seek on this adventure.This is a large very old sow. Picture taken a week ago by Zach Fisher, one of the super talented houndsmen who is also a dog breeder who provides trained dogs to guides and outfitters. Zach is helping me and was scouting in my hunt area when he treed this bear and has a “pursuit” permit where he can chase and tree bears but it does not include a harvest tag.

So a few guys with these pursuit-only tags, each with their own pack of hounds they carefully breed and train, should be helping me out as they can fit in their schedules during a long weekend hunt. Weather may be tough first couple days—we will see.

Last edited:
Good deal. I will be in Wasatch - West Central on similar hunt during same time period. Please post pictures and results. Best of luck, TheGrayRider.

Good luck! A bear hunt with hounds is a bucket list item for me. I too am gathering UT points just in case...

Total jealousy here, i have been wanting to do a hound hunt with bears for a few years. Please keep us updated. POST SOME PICS. Good luck to all who have a tag!

Thursday and Friday should be spot and stalk as I do not believe my buds with hounds will show up till Friday evening.

Hostess Donettes on the ride out are a tradition and say. “I mean business!” LOL

Happy I didn’t lose my Donettes pro staff position when they had to close down shop and re-organize ....

6E44A8A9-5E05-49C3-A6A4-F95C63976732.jpeg

Last edited:
My sister drew La Sal spring on her first try... she applied the day after getting her Hunters Safety. 😡

Their snow pack is the fifth highest in the last four decades so it may be Memorial Day before we can get in there.

Good luck on Book Cliffs.

So it starts. Chilly today. And a little weather. Turns out despite his better judgment it will not be weather conducive to dogs scenting and trailing bears, and bears may be holed up...Zach is meeting me at 5:15 am to help.

40A6BE3A-EA7F-4699-B584-86757E17F029.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of colored bears on the Book Cliffs. You can probably be pretty selective and get a great color phase bear.

Day 3 update as there was zip cell coverage where I have been hunting. It was quite the adventure! Hauling butt to check in a great bear with a very accommodating wildlife officer who’s going to let me meet him at 10:30 PM in Vernal, about 3 hours the opposite direction toward home...

You only have 48 hours to check in a bear and can’t leave Utah until you do

88117A2C-59C0-41F5-BB9B-95CCF4644053.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back