Utah pronghorn

mdunc8

Set aside the management issues in Utah, why don't I hear more about people hunting the state? I'm starting to strategize my point building approach and thought I might start building points for an Utah antelope tag. The nonresident hunting license is much cheaper than other states (e.g., Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico) that require it to apply for a limited tag. Are the draw odds relative to the quality of the hunt that much better in other states?

JMO

If you want to start out for a lope hunt, than look at Wyoming. I lived in Utah for many years and started building points for antelope after I got my elk tag. I moved to Wyoming before I ever drew the tag. What I now know is that a B&C lope can be had in almost any OTC unit in Wyoming. There is no need to build points in Utah. I would find a decent unit in Wyoming with left over tags, give yourself plenty of time and hunt hard. Lope hunts are fun and very easy. When I was in Utah I almost paid to get access to hunt in Wyoming and go guided (I think it was going to be $1500). That would have been a waste of money. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys.

I'm not necessarily looking for huge goats. Just fun hunts and the occasional change in scenery.

I've already started building points in Wyoming and hunted a leftover tag down there this fall. Just looking to diversify the portfolio a little. Maybe it's just not necessary for antelope though.

Niether would I, and I live here also. Utah400 got it right, you can hunt Wyoming every year, Utah, who knows.

UT definitely doesn't have the number of pronghorns that WY and MT have. That said, having worked in pronghorn country in UT for a number of years there are some areas in the state with some very nice bucks. If you are already buying the license to put in/get points for other species I think getting points for pronghorns makes a whole lot of sense.

BTW, on of the largest bucks I've ever seen on the hoof was on public land in UT...

Poor pics, but here are a couple of bucks I saw in UT. Not monsters, but very respectable IMO.
BuckPronghornNewCanyon07-07.jpg

BuckPronghornbelowLittleCreekRes-1.jpg

I have been building points in UAT for goat and mule deer for quite a while. Recently, with the new rules, I started applying for pronghorn as well. I am guessing I will regret the day I draw one, but will continue to be stupid...at least until I get my deer and goat tags.:D

Mt. Miller- Good news for you, at the November Rac meeting, the recommendation was made to add a goat hunt in the Mt. Nebo unit. If you get so lucky as to draw those tags, let me know and I can help you out with any info.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/info/2012-11_rac_packet.pdf

Thanks Bigg. I will throw my name in the hat will 11 points this year. Not holding my breath, might be a few more years, but hopefully one more mountain goat hunt in my future.

Back