Caribou Gear Tarp

Utah/Nevada Points

Brachii

I just saw in an article that Utah and Nevada bonus and pref points can be purchased? Is this like WY where you pay X amount of money and simply get a point or will I have to first purchase a hunting license for the season before that option is open to me?

Purchase a license. Randy and Corey tecently walked thru each state on an Elk Talk podcast. You can also go back to all the state podcasts and videos from last year if you want more info.

You have to buy a license for both. Nevada is yearly and Utah can be used be biyearly if you time its correctly . Be prepared to be in things for the long haul with both these states, and unless your sitting on horse shoe nothing is drawn with low points. Also if you not going to be applying for multiple species there isnt as much value.

That was my thinking in regards to multiple species to make it worth it... I dunno if it would be. Would you say Arizona is a better state to build points in as far as the NR goes after CO and WY? I just wanted to start building in one more state.

Last edited:
That was my thinking in regards to multiple species to make it worth it... I dunno if it would be. Would you say Arizona is a better state to build points in as far as the NR goes after CO and WY? I just wanted to start building in one more state.

If you are starting from the ground floor this is a no brainer. You need to completely avoid UT & NV. Your only chance there would be if they completely overhauled their point systems, which is inevitable, but who knows when. AZ would be an easy 3rd choice for you.

I'd agree with Zim. Draw odds for the good tags in those states are damn tough. Starting now, the best you could hope for is to draw 2 elk tags in each state. Maybe 1, depending on your age. Unless you have tons of time off each fall and you could draw NV archery deer tags and UT general deer tags.

Applying in Utah is almost free; less than $35 for a license amortized over the two years. I’ll pay that for a weighted chance in the random side every year.

Last edited:
Any Idea if the same will work for NV since they did start a 365 day License in 2018?

No it will not. In 2017 the app deadline was April 17, in 2018 the deadline was April 16. The deadline is almost always within a day or two of those dates. If you draw a tag with a license that is about to expire you still have to buy a new license because you must have valid license while hunting.

Point systems take what was a predictable draw system and promised a future of fairness for the unlucky and loyal.

What the preference point system actually did was create a "once in a lifetime" golden ticket to be part of a distorted Max Point Pool where those members enjoy annually improving odds until drawing a tag. At that point, they would go to the end of the line behind all the other applicants not in the Max Pool which reduced draw odds than what everyone had before the point system was implemented.

Max Pool guys draw out and then Max-1 gets the improving odds each year. Might take a few years to a couple of decades for the Max Pool to draw out, though. The issue then is Max-5 folks might as well be Max-1000 as the only hope is if some random tags are set aside.

Bonus point systems and Squared Bonus Point systems are a bit less punitive than Preference Point systems but creates the favored class based merely on a point in time when the point system launches.

I rarely experience the level of selfishness as when interacting with point holders. Does not matter if they have young children or grandchildren. All those not in their point pool are not their concern. Remember, no more tags were created when the point system changed. All that was achieved was to create a point in time where the discrimination of lower draw odds begins for all subsequent applicants.

F&G loved point system adoption, of course. The systems hooked the applicants even when the economy goes down or application fees go up so can accelerate the costs once the people in the new system get 5 or 10 years of points. The mindset of the applicant with 5 or 10 points that sees fees go up or lose their job or have another kid or get a divorce have a tough decision to make. Keep in the points game at $200 or more a year or take care of real responsibilities?

Point systems out West that are past their first decade are well on their way to a train wreck. Want a chance at a primo deer tag in CO through the public draw? Hope you are young and have $1000s of dollars to "invest" for the journey. Deer or elk in WY are headed that way. UT as well. And so on.

^^^ And this is why I will only apply in states with a random component to the draw. Hopefully as states see fewer and fewer new applicants they’ll adjust the system.

^^^ And this is why I will only apply in states with a random component to the draw. Hopefully as states see fewer and fewer new applicants they’ll adjust the system.

I wish more guys did this.

[/B]

Wishful thinking.

I’m the short term, yes, its wishful thinking at best. You should have bolded the “hopefully” part. That meant that I knew it was “wishful”. In the long run it isn’t that unlikely. It may take a while, but how many new people are going to apply in a preference point only state when it takes 15 points to draw a crap unit? That may be fifteen years away.

Last edited:
I wish more guys did this.

To be honest I do not do it as an attempt to get PP only states to change, but more as a logical attempt to get the most bang for my buck. I cannot afford to apply for elk and deer in every state. Further, although I’m young by most standards, I have developed arthritis in my knees, hips and spine, and really don’t know what my hunting capabilities will be 15-20 years in the future. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. With a limited hunting budget and the uncertainty of tomorrow I choose to focus the majority of my tag money on applications that have the highest probability of paying off the soonest. I like that in Wyoming I can apply for an ultra longshot first choice and have a chance in the random, yet still build points, and still have decent odds at a lower choice hunt. It’s an interesting state in terms of angling toward a dream hunt without having to defer hunting a more easily drawn bunt. Bonus point states are still on the table for me. Because applying for hunt A means that I cannot afford to apply for hunt B, preference point states without a random component are completely out for me, and always will be. I view it as money that is almost certainly wasted, and until I can afford to apply in every state, money wasted equals fewer hunts.

Not exactly what I was getting it.

My comment was more selfish.

Back