Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

USDA Trump Appointment US Forest Service / Wilderness

I knew of Able Maldonado on the central coast of CA.
Agri-business with poor record for workers.Comes from imigrant farmworker family. Became big deal in local CA GOP. Very pro business.

Oh,I shook his hand once,then went and washed it.

Just remembered he came up with the campaign slogan"Compassionate Conservative" and after Bush met him he co-oped (stole) it.

Last edited:
Sonny Perdue is the nominee as of this morning.

This, in my opinion, has the most impact on our hunting opportunities, forest and wilderness combined. I am surprised how much rattling of the political partisanship is placed on Zinke over DOI though the main person tasked with the grounds we most hunt holds crickets. What do we know of this guy? Good, bad, indifferent?

Jose must be busy this morning. Give him some time, we'll find out what all is wrong with Mr. Perdue. :)

If you look a the hunter value map of Montana that TRCP put together, the BLM land is just as, if not more important than USFS. I hunt a lot of BLM, mixed in with FS, State and private.

I'm not sure about Perdue, but he doesn't seem to know anything about the west. He's an agribusiness guy who's claim to fame in GA is increasing yield while decreasing the number of active farms and workers. HIgher profits for the farm owners, lower employment for farm laborers. That's a mixed bag.

The real test here is who Perdue appoints as USFS Chief. If it's a timber guy, we'll know what to expect.

From TRCP:

News for Immediate Release
January 17, 2017

Trump Taps a Quail Hunter for Secretary of Agriculture Seat

Former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue understands the balance between agriculture and wildlife habitat on America’s private lands

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The hunting and fishing community recognizes the potential for collaboration and compromise in President-elect Trump’s pick for Secretary of Agriculture, announced today. An avid sportsman, former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue has the kind of personal and policy experience that is likely to benefit the nation’s farmers and ranchers, as well as fish and wildlife habitat on private and public lands.
In Georgia, Perdue implemented the first comprehensive statewide land conservation plan, which included policy provisions aimed at improving wildlife habitat and boosting outdoor recreation opportunities, although his response to a major drought in 2007 was somewhat controversial. He also established a trust fund for the state to purchase conservation lands and encouraged the donation of perpetual conservation easements through a new tax credit that successfully conserved more than 185,000 acres.

“We’re happy to see that a true sportsman is a candidate for this position, especially one who worked to create a culture of conservation during his tenure as governor,” says Whit Fosburgh, president and CEO of the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. “It’s clear to us that, where private lands dominate the landscape, local hunters and anglers track and care deeply about ag policy and its impacts on fish, wildlife, and water quality. They can feel optimistic that Perdue is up to the task of serving rural communities and our natural resources well.”

The Secretary of Agriculture oversees many of the federal agencies with a major role in conservation, including the Natural Resources Conservation Service, Farm Service Agency, and U.S. Forest Service. The next person to fill this leadership role will not only engage in debate over the 2018 Farm Bill, he or she will also lead the implementation of this legislation and oversee approximately $5 billion in annual conservation spending on private lands.

“While I've yet to meet the Governor, as hunters I'm sure we have commonality in understanding the importance of policies and programs that assist our nation's farmers and ranchers with meeting resource conservation needs important to the overall sustainability of our agricultural system, while also benefiting fish and wildlife,” says Howard Vincent, president of Quail Forever and Pheasants Forever.

“We believe Gov. Perdue’s experiences afield will lead to a greater understanding of conservation needs, shared access, and multi-use opportunities on the numerous public lands managed by the USDA,” says George Thornton, CEO of the National Wild Turkey Federation.

Learn more about the coalition of hunting, fishing, and conservation groups working to enhance conservation funding, improve water and soil quality, and boost voluntary access programs in the next Farm Bill.

Thanks Ben. Always great to have your information available to us... non politically charged outdoor enthusiasts. In exchange, we can excuse your mis-guided voting history... :D
I believe the same could and should be said of Zinke over DOI though who is placed of the NPS and BLM... that follows suit with the USDA appointee...
Here is some info on the federal land in Montana, as I am sure you are aware and while I have and do hunt State land along with sparse segments of BLM, NW MT is mainly US National Forest. Flat landers do not count... haha!

National Forest Lands

National forests in Montana comprise nearly 16 million acres. Most national forest lands that are legally accessible via a public road, navigable waterway, or adjacent state or federal land are open to hunting. Land use restrictions do apply to some areas so its always a good idea to check in with the local Ranger District Office. Individuals must have permission from the landowner to cross adjacent private land to hunt on National Forest Lands. National forest maps are available from all Forest Service District Offices, or by contacting Forest Service Northern Region Office at (406) 329-3511.

BLM Lands

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) manages over 8 million acres of mostly range land and some forested land across the state. Most BLM lands that are legally accessible via a public road, navigable waterway, or adjacent state or federal land are open to hunting. You must have permission from the landowner to cross adjacent private land to hunt on BLM land. The BLM sells maps that identify BLM land. Maps are available from all BLM Area Offices, and by contacting the BLM State Office in Billings at (406) 896-5004.

National Refuges and Waterfowl Production Areas

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) manages ten national wildlife refuges in Montana most of which allow hunting during some portion of the season. USFWS also oversees hundreds of waterfowl production areas that provide waterfowl, upland bird, and limited big game hunting opportunities. Hunting opportunities on wildlife refuges are generally quite restrictive and in some cases prohibited altogether. You should contact refuge personnel before hunting on any national wildlife refuge. For general information on the National Wildlife Refuge System in Montana, contact the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge in Lewistown at (406) 538-8706 or follow this link.

US Bureau of Reclamation Lands

The US Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) administers approximately 200,000 acres of land and 100,000 acres of surface water in Montana. Where there is legal public access, BOR managed land is open to hunting, fishing and other recreational activity. Motorized travel is restricted to existing roads.

I know this is a strange concept to a lot of us Treasure Staters, but there is more to the west & public land than Montana. :)

BLM, NPS, USFWS, BuRec all fall under DOI. USFS falls under Ag. That's certainly a throwback to the days when trees were considered only as a cash-crop, but as such, a guy from Georgia is going to be making decisions on a significant chunk of Montana, and the west.

In regards to my voting, I have not doubt history will prove me correct. We now are setting the bar low for conservation, and applauding those who won't outright steal our birthright, for those who will only chip away at the gains made in the last 8 years.

I know this is a strange concept to a lot of us Treasure Staters, but there is more to the west & public land than Montana. :)

BLM, NPS, USFWS, BuRec all fall under DOI. USFS falls under Ag. That's certainly a throwback to the days when trees were considered only as a cash-crop, but as such, a guy from Georgia is going to be making decisions on a significant chunk of Montana, and the west.

In regards to my voting, I have not doubt history will prove me correct. We now are setting the bar low for conservation, and applauding those who won't outright steal our birthright, for those who will only chip away at the gains made in the last 8 years.

I agree with all of the above.

Ben,

Sally Jewel worked for Mobil oil in the Oklahoma oil fields and for big banks for 20 years, so using your standard of what industry a person came from we should have an oil rig on every quarter section and an ATM on on every back country two track.

Just because a person helped farmers become more profitable, that is a bad thing? Have you been on a farm and ranch lately? Lot's of machinery has replaced muscle power over the years and less and less laborers are needed.

Nemont

Ben,

Sally Jewel worked for Mobil oil in the Oklahoma oil fields and for big banks for 20 years, so using your standard of what industry a person came from we should have an oil rig on every quarter section and an ATM on on every back country two track.

Just because a person helped farmers become more profitable, that is a bad thing? Have you been on a farm and ranch lately? Lot's of machinery has replaced muscle power over the years and less and less laborers are needed.

Nemont

In case it didn't come through: I'm reserving judgement on Perdue and waiting to see who gets the nod at the FS. TRCP seems to think Perdue is not a bad idea and based on his record as Governor, he wasn't terrible on conservation. The concern is his lack of understanding of the west. My concerns with Zinke are much more pronounced based on his voting record.

Oh, yes... mind my isolated manners, Ben :)

193 million acres of National Forest under USDA. Of that, 58 million acres are road-less / Wilderness.

There are 83 million acres of National Park land... including areas outside the lower 48, Alaska and Hawaii i.e. Guam, etc... Then there is the behemoth, BLM with a whooping 245 million acres. Mostly flat land, retained for grazing/mineral rights. Surprisingly, some are not necessarily accessible to public.

Here is an interesting picture that relates to our conversation and so I may not appear to be a MT isolationist;

public-land-map-western-u.s..gif

Care of: http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/public-hunting-land/ A great resource for info on this and a couple other topics here, at HT. The stats are from 2010, if I recall correctly. I can not seem to find where s/he stated that though I am pretty sure it was said. The information gathered is massive! What an undertaking. Major kudos to the soul who took this on.

A large, if not the largest swath of most used big game hunting land is under the guidance of the Secretary of the USDA (Perdue) and whom is placed in position over USFS, etc. While yes, DOI (Zinke) does cover large swaths of land, I would be remiss to not share the significance of the one not spoken... Appointee, Perdue.

Last edited:
Ben,

Nemont

Machinery? Or chemicals from the good people at Monsanto?

(Slightly off topic, but what are you seeing up there? I now know of 3 farmers in my area who are succumbing to cancers. All were row-crop farmers who will tell you that yields are 3x what they were when they first started farming, and labour is 1/10. Buddy starts 4th Cycle of Chemo today. Slightly depressed, I am.)

We have to spray too much Malathion to have the mosquitoes livable in the summer to worry about dying from the chemicals we spray on the crops. It is cancer season here too. I am thinking of my 82 year old dad who just had colon cancer, Rosa my buddies wife , Curt who graciously let's me hunt pheasants on his premo land, the list goes on and on.

Nemont

We have to spray too much Malathion to have the mosquitoes livable in the summer to worry about dying from the chemicals we spray on the crops. It is cancer season here too. I am thinking of my 82 year old dad who just had colon cancer, Rosa my buddies wife , Curt who graciously let's me hunt pheasants on his premo land, the list goes on and on.

Nemont

It is really pissing me off, lately.

It motivated me to go get a colonoscopy. I got it done, in November.

Hopefully you have your's done.

(Now, still battling with a Montana Insurance company to pay for it.... Mountain Health Co-Op.)

Ben2 is right in that it looks like we will have to do a lot of educating on Mr. Purdue about national forest issues. On the other hand, he is a quail hunter who, so far, has not shot any lawyers in the face. We should keep a watch on the Undersecretary of Ag, who tends to focus more on the US Forest Service, as well as the USFS Chief.

By the way, to clear up a misconception from another thread, the only reason I am Ben1 and Ben Lamb is Ben2 is because I am his senior. But it doesn't matter since no one can keep us straight anyway.

Machinery? Or chemicals from the good people at Monsanto?

(Slightly off topic, but what are you seeing up there? I now know of 3 farmers in my area who are succumbing to cancers. All were row-crop farmers who will tell you that yields are 3x what they were when they first started farming, and labour is 1/10. Buddy starts 4th Cycle of Chemo today. Slightly depressed, I am.)

IDK, I know plenty of cancer free farmers, but perhaps there's a link or something. And BTW, organic doesn't always mean chemical free.

But the great thing about the increasing yields is that it allows humans to use less farmland to grow the same amount of food (or more!). I'd rather have less farmland and more wilderness.

Very few areas where farmland is taken out of production and put into wilderness. More is lost to development and urban sprawl. I'd rather have farmland than development and urban sprawl.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back