S. 1695: Human Powered Travel in Wilderness Act

Nameless Range

I wanted to just tack this on to the end of another thread about mountain bikes and Wilderness, and it turns out the most recent one was locked. This is not a thread for a devolving back and forth on that issue, but I read something that was kind of alarming to me the other day, and wondered about it.

Mike Lee introduced this bill last year, and there was a hearing on it a couple weeks ago to the Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee. From the description of the bill:

This bill requires the Department of Agriculture and the Department of the Interior to authorize their respective local offices to determine all permissible forms of nonmotorized travel over routes within wilderness areas. Local offices must seek to accommodate all forms of nonmotorized travel to the maximum extent practicable. If a local office fails to make such a determination about a route within two years after this bill's enactment, then any form of nonmotorized travel shall be allowable on that route.

Giving an ultimatum to resource starved agencies seems like a feature, not a bug.

In the hearing, representatives from both the BLM and the USFS commented:

Chris French, Deputy Chief of the USDA Forest Service, testified: “The USDA supports increased access to the national forest system lands and thus supports the bill’s intent.”

Michael Nedd, Deputy Director for Operations for the Bureau of Land Management: “The administration has placed a high priority on increasing public use and enjoyment of all federal lands. S.1695 aligns with this priority by providing greater access and recreational opportunities on public lands and the department supports the bill.”

So if I am reading this right, the position of the BLM as well as the USFS is that they should be allowed to let bikes into Wilderness where they see fit. I did get most of this information from a mountain biking group whose chief goal is bikes in Wilderness, so I don't know how much of it is wishful thinking. Short Youtube clip of that testimony here:

A couple questions I have:

Is this attitude likely to change with administration?

Does this bill have any hope?

This is an interesting one in that the bill foists the decision on the local official rather than an overall decision. I'm not sure how "local" that official might be in the eyes of this kind of bill though.

Motorized and not mechanized, seems like this is direct conflict with the original Act of 1964, which states:

PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN USES
(c) Except as specifically provided for in this Act, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this Act and except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this Act (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

It puts local control in first. The wilderness areas I've been in, well good luck getting a bike up most of those trails. To many rocks and sections that are to steep

It puts local control in first. The wilderness areas I've been in, well good luck getting a bike up most of those trails. To many rocks and sections that are to steep

Fun fact: district rangers already have a ton of control over how they manage their wilderness areas, as assigned to them under the Wilderness Act.

Great point on trail quality. It's just not feasible in a lot of big W country. I would hope that folks would rather advocate more reasonable improvements to trails in areas where it makes sense both biologically and recreationally. So many unused logging roads, etc, where the impact to wildlife would be minimal, or even focus on areas where the use is compatible, and build single-track trails for Mtn Bikes and let them have it.

practicable​

workable, achievable, attainable; feasible: a practicable solution to the problem
Not to be confused with:
practical – pragmatic; suited to actual conditions; useful; sensible: a practical person

HA! I'm going to guess you're not in the elite mt biking scene? There's not a trail I've been on that mt bikers couldn't ride. The difference between you and I and the guys at the top are similar to your abilities to run 100 miles without stopping and Courtney Dauwalters.

Although I’m supportive of eBikes (with definitional limitations) on trails where bikes are currently allowed, I’m not supportive of any form of mechanized travel in Wilderness areas. It’s a good thing to have some areas set aside that are left in their pristine condition. There’s no shortage of legal mountain biking trails and areas. Let’s keep Wilderness areas wild.

I'm guessing Lee has never been leading a string of horses up a steep trail at dusk only to have a silent down hill mtn bike come flying down the trail trying to stop and sliding on its side under said horses.
El rodao extravagancia!
Biker dude has a bike to collect. "Sorry man"
Equestrian has 6 loose horses and a camp strung out in 3 directions.

Some things don't go together

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back