Up and quit

good on you man! sometimes there is not a better feeling especially if there's nothing tying you to it. Did the same many years ago working for Haliburton on a gas rig. Best decision I ever made.

Haven’t ever given at least two weeks, but I did ask to come in late once because I had a job interview. I wasn’t getting enough hours and had voiced that concern many times so I had to look at other opportunities. She knew I was serious when I came back and told her how well my interview went.

Yep, I’ve pulled the plug on several jobs. My motto is nothing is permanent. You can run across some real nut jobs in family ran businesses. Good luck to you Nick

In my mid 20’s I had made it to VP of a company that had 60+ employees and was billing around a million a month. In about 2006 the owner hired his brother who was a “Christian” and attended a church run by a person who “spoke directly to god daily”. Over the period of about 3 months I watched the smartest business man I have ever known to this day destroy the company. One day he tells me we’re having this meeting and him, his brother, and this “minister” are going thru quickbooks determining which accounts are Christian accounts and talking about how we don’t need to be doing business with people who are not Christians and that the money they would pay us is the devils money. They wanted to have a weekly mandatory company bible study and that we would all pray over any proposals to Christian accounts. I sat my phone on the desk, looked him in the eye and said you people are f’ing crazy and walked out the door. Best feeling ever. Within 6 months his company was gone and between me and two of the field managers we had absorbed all the employees and accounts in our own new businesses.

Nah. As a former manager my two biggest thorns were no 2 weeks, and no call no show.

Best of luck in your next job.

This always makes me laugh as most companies give zero notice when they fire or lay someone off. The company I work for did a big lay off a couple years ago. Some people found out they didn’t make the cut when they showed up to work and their badge didn’t work anymore. The same company would lose their mind if someone didn't give a two week notice.

I get the sentiment in certain instances if it’s a smaller company but in the corporate world, they can suck it…

The guy I've worked for for the last 30 years is a jerk. I would like to tell him off. Unfortunately I'm self employed. Good luck Nick.

Don't worry Paul. Someone will help you out there. ;)

Never quit like that. I've always given my 2 weeks, but there have been a few where walking out was on the table. We're not born to work, and we're certainly not required to work where we aren't appreciated. Controlling your own destiny is exhilarating, especially when it's a laborers job market!

Only once. Accepted a Cybersec Engineer position for a regional healthcare company's claims branch, on the first day there I looked behind the curtain and found that I had been lied to by the CIO on every question I asked about the environment, hours and responsibilities. I can put up with a lot of things, but dishonesty is not one of them.

Nope, never wanted to risk the family on it. Also as a hiring manager, I wouldn't hire you if I knew you did that. Of course much of this depends on the job/career area.

Hope the best for ya Nick. Arseholes are hard to work with though... bid the right time. An after the fact comment.

I up and quit In-N-Out Burgers when I was a young buck. Buddies came through the drive, told me to get in - "We're going skiing!" I went skiing. I was 16. Damn that was a great job and awesome pay for my young punk arse! Meh...

Best to give two weeks, although in the foreseeable future in the trades probably makes little difference.

I was kind of allowed to "leave early" from my only government job. Groundskeeper for State Police. Loaded 4 sacks of fertilizer on a wheelbarrow. Supervisor called me out and said move one sack at a time. I asked why and he said because it would take four times as long to move it one sack at a time. Gave notice the next day, and he said, "That's OK, move along,".

Best of luck; seller's market and you'll do fine.

Back