Caribou Gear Tarp

Up and quit

My dad used to say "People will take advantage of you as long as you let them." So good for standing up for yourself. It takes guts. Best of luck in next career move.

I did when I was younger....left a job (big box store stocker) at my designated time to leave, then proceeded to be called every 20-30 minutes from my supervisor yelling at me about where I was (we typically hung out and helped a few departments and got extra hours, but not in my job description). During the exit interview and stating my complaints with the store manager, he admitted it was a hostile environment, yet still had the nerve to ask if "I would come back if they talked to my supervisor." Best decision I ever made when it came to my employment history. Life's too short to hate your job.

I've done it twice.

I took a third shift job in a cheese factory the summer after I graduated from high school. I was supposed to be out the door at 8 so I could go home, shower, eat breakfast and then get to the community college for my 10am to noon pre-calc class I needed to take before I went off to the university in the fall.

The first day, they wouldn't let me leave at 8, I finally told them I was leaving at 9:30 and I had just enough time to get to my class, stinking of cheese, and immediately fell asleep for the whole class...

The next day, the stuck me at the smoker for 4 hours straight. While everyone else is taking breaks I'm stuck loading 30 pound hunks of cheese into a machine that is 150 degrees. Bend at the waist, lift over my head. Over and over... I finally hollered for the foreman to come over and I told him that I needed to take a break if he didn't want me to throw up all over the cheese. And then he grumbled again when I told him I needed to leave at 9:30. Again I showed up just in time for my class, this time I stunk like smoked cheese, and fell asleep. Called the plant manager, who when he hired me assured me that leaving at 8 would be no problem. I told him that taking this class was more important than the money I would make from the job and I didn't trust that anything would change. He wanted me to finish the job, but I had already missed two days of my class. Wasn't going to miss 3 more.

While I was in college I worked summers for a company in my field of study. The plan (in my head) was that I would work for them after I graduated, and with my degree I could get a promotion to being one of their ecologists.

As luck would have it, they had an ecologist position open when I graduated. Unfortunately, they had a guy with 2 masters degrees show up on their doorstep at the same time. He had heard about the company and moved his family 1500 miles to show up and ask to work in whatever they had for him. It was between me (a known quantity with several year's experience with them) and this guy (highly educated and supposedly dedicated). He got the ecologist position and I was shuffled into a job that wasn't in my main area of interest.

In explaining the outcome, the general manager should have said that they went with the highly educated candidate and that in time I might have another shot. Instead he told me that he just couldn't be sure that I would stick with them since I had so many other interests, which was true but those interests were hobbies that I think make me a well-rounded individual.

In the end, I took a Vacation that summer for my brother's wedding. When I got back I learned that Mr. 2 Master's Degrees had learned of a new company in Florida that was doing amazing things and he just had to move his family down there to be a part of it... He had given two weeks while I was on vacation and he was already gone.

The General Manager told me this and kinda leaned on me implying that this was my fault ands I would have to work extra hard to fill in the gap. I said, no you will need to work extra hard to fill 2 vacancies. I quit. I had another job in a week.

21 years later I am making roughly 5 times what that job was paying me.

Never been a better time to change a job and get more $$. I am sick of seeing all these sign on bonus ads, but yet those who worked through the whole covid thing not even offered anything. I would say if thinking of changing jobs, do it before the BS covid unemployment adder ends this fall. Going to be a lot of lazy slugs looking for work when the "free money" ends

I've been fortunate enough to be prepared when an opportunity arose. I didn't really quit the construction business in my late 20's..more of a parallel move to selling and renting to it. It was a very successful and fortuitous career move as I went back to the first construction company as a partner, now owner...so I've really only had three bosses, the last one being myself.

...and, unlike BHR ; ), I try very hard not to be an azzhole, but sometimes it's the only play.

The Simone Biles of the work force.
If pulling the plug for health or sanity reasons is the context of your reference then I agree.
If the inference is she wasn’t committed or willing to put in the work then I think you are dead wrong. She didn’t become the most successful gymnast ever by lacking in talent, work ethic, or commitment.

Every person has their breaking point. It takes some maturity and wisdom to stop before that line gets crossed.

If pulling the plug for health or sanity reasons is the context of your reference then I agree.
If the inference is she wasn’t committed or willing to put in the work then I think you are dead wrong. She didn’t become the most successful gymnast ever by lacking in talent, work ethic, or commitment.

Every person has their breaking point. It takes some maturity and wisdom to stop before that line gets crossed.
Just trying to make a joke. I’m sure quitting a job is stressful thought maybe we needed a laugh.

I only did that once when I was 17 years old and I already had another job – I was working at a food lion grocery store part time because a girl I liked worked there. I became sick and was out for 3 scheduled work days with strep. The rules were that you had to report that you were sick and return with a doctor’s note. That was easy because I had to call off work and had seen the doctor anyway. Upon returning to work as I was clocking in the manger looked down on me from their elevated podium and said in public (in front of customers & employees), that I was fired for not reporting for my scheduled time. Even though I had called out two days prior to my scheduled time. I explained that I had called off prior to my scheduled work time and sent in the doctor’s note as per policy. I presented him with a copy from HR aknowledgeing that I was comunicating with both him and HR. He begrudgingly said okay then, get back to work. I decided that he didn’t really want me there, so I told him that I resign and I left. I still don’t really know what the issue was, I always did whatever was asked of me including staying an hour or two after clocking out to mop the floors and changing the “buy by” and “expiration” dates on the bread!

I did grow up very close in age to my cousin. One night at 19 years old we counted the jobs we have done, and he had a disturbing trend. This guy was a bit of a hot head. He had worked on the payroll for 19 companies (at 19 years old and excluding under the table farm & mechanic work). He had quit 17 of those jobs by punching out his boss over a disagreement.

He grew up with a God-fearing father who went to church three times a week (well respected deacon). Thank God for that because that meant that he only had the time to beat the crap out of his kid every 2-3 weeks instead of daily, (I put an end to that at 15 years old). My cousin had so much pent up anger and anxiety that he just resorted to physical violence for every disagreement he had with everyone but his Dad. He is still trying to recover his life to this day.

. . .

He grew up with a God-fearing father who went to church three times a week (well respected deacon). Thank God for that because that meant that he only had the time to beat the crap out of his kid every 2-3 weeks instead of daily, (I put an end to that at 15 years old). My cousin had so much pent up anger and anxiety that he just resorted to physical violence for every disagreement he had with everyone but his Dad. He is still trying to recover his life to this day.

Talk about contradictions.

Talk about contradictions.
Please understand that although it's not for me, Religion means many things for many people and I don't begrude anyone for it. It is like a large vacum that takes in folks from all walks of life. I soppose that is the purpose and you will find the good people with the bad in such an organization. Just because a person joined dosen't mean that they are instantly changed of their old ways - I imagine that there is work involved with that like anything else. My cousin swears that my Uncle is a changed man now, but I've seen that trick before and I'm still on watch. I gave him an utimatum that lasts the rest of his life and meant it.

Last edited:

When there's a mile long list of people trying to get a slot on the US Olympic team, spending all of their time and effort, deferring careers and families for an shot an being in her shoes. I would have expected her to make more of the opportunity that she deprived someone else of.

If you can't handle being a famous athlete, then don't be one, but don't quit during the greatest competition on the planet when you're representing your Country. No one forced her on to the team. She willing came and took a spot from someone else.

After giving and giving and giving to the Army as a civilian and not feeling like I was appreciated, I gave my 2 weeks and never looked back.

The very next day it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and the health issues I was having were gone...

Stress is a living thing that can kill you..

Anyone else just up and quit a job on a whim?

I did today. Had enough of the owners dumb f*ck brother thinking he runs the show today and walked off. I'll be doing the same thing for someone else for the same pay next week.
God damn that felt good!
good for you. Mt dad told me long ago NO JOB for any pay is worth being miserable. Your self worth needs to be paid properly and honestly.

when I was working as a mechanic between stints in the military with the certifications and ASE's I had, I could always find a job for more than I was making at the time. I did walk off a couple of times, but it was usually over benefits and health insurance at the new job and unfulfilled promises from the previous employer. I resigned from my cake job in Indiana DOC to go on a deployment with the national guard that led to me going back to active duty Army and never looked back.

When there's a mile long list of people trying to get a slot on the US Olympic team, spending all of their time and effort, deferring careers and families for an shot an being in her shoes. I would have expected her to make more of the opportunity that she deprived someone else of.

If you can't handle being a famous athlete, then don't be one, but don't quit during the greatest competition on the planet when you're representing your Country. No one forced her on to the team. She willing came and took a spot from someone else.
I used to think that mental health problems related to stress or other factors was just something people needed to set their minds to pushing through or just tough it out.
Having watched some of the dearest people on earth to me go through crises my attitude changed.

Everyone has their breaking point. What you or I think someone else’s should be isn’t relevant.

Given what I currently understand about her circumstances, I have nothing but support and respect for her decision to withdraw.

I manage a lot of people and if someone gives me notice I usually let them go right then anyway. I find that keeping them around asks for trouble. They are likely to get “hurt” or spew negatively to others, even to customers so best to shake hands and let em go. Luckily I’ve never had a high turnover rate but it does happen. Quitting with no notice is your right. It does burn a bridge with the company you’re leaving but you probably don’t care, especially in this market. I bet it did feel good.

On the original topic of quitting a job without notice, if I were being disrespected or taken advantage of, I sure wouldn’t feel bad about leaving immediately.

Thankfully, I have never had that be a factor in any job that I left for other opportunities.

Back