Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2024 Garden!

Gellar

It was 50 today and it’s supposed to be close to 60 by Thursday. We have a lot of winter left, but I’m thinking about my garden! Potatoes, garlic, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, beans, carrots, and more.

@JShane is probably already picking tomatoes, but if anyone else is thinking about prepping the garden, ordering seeds, or anything else post it up here!

Here’s a picture from last year. My garden was doing good and then we went on vacation for a week in July. It never recovered.
1707172561510.jpeg

It was 50 today and it’s supposed to be close to 60 by Thursday. We have a lot of winter left, but I’m thinking about my garden! Potatoes, garlic, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, beans, carrots, and more.

@JShane is probably already picking tomatoes, but if anyone else is thinking about prepping the garden, ordering seeds, or anything else post it up here!

Here’s a picture from last year. My garden was doing good and then we went on vacation for a week in July. It never recovered.
View attachment 314187
Can you run hose with a sprinkler attachment to the edge of the garden plot then use an electric timer between the spigot and hose so gets some water even if not home for a few days?

Started weeding my beds this weekend. I usually get the spring/early growing stuff in the ground in March. I've been picking and using the carrots I planted in October/ November for the last several weeks.

20231214_111002.jpg20231214_111022.jpg20240114_092608.jpg I'm still harvesting the winter garden with some things still in the growing stage. I do have some volunteer tomatoes starting to blossom though.

The plan for this week is to prep the one half of the raised bed I let sit fallow.

Gonna give corn a shot this year, then zucchini, winter squash, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes.

Mine is overrun with pigweed. I'm thinking of spending this year working on eradication while I do the garden in another spot. The issue is the other spot is my front yard. So it seems silly, but the fact is you have to drive up a long winding driveway to even see my front yard. So, how silly is it if not too many people ever see it?

Also, one of the issues with the current plot is I can't see it without a trip to the "back forty". I have to herd the family back there to get any work out of them. If it's in the front yard they can't claim ignorance.

I'll have to fish or cut bait as soon as the ground dries enough to till.

Mine is overrun with pigweed. I'm thinking of spending this year working on eradication while I do the garden in another spot. The issue is the other spot is my front yard. So it seems silly, but the fact is you have to drive up a long winding driveway to even see my front yard. So, how silly is it if not too many people ever see it?

Also, one of the issues with the current plot is I can't see it without a trip to the "back forty". I have to herd the family back there to get any work out of them. If it's in the front yard they can't claim ignorance.

I'll have to fish or cut bait as soon as the ground dries enough to till.
You till Fish carcasses into your garden?

No, 'fish or cut bait' one of them there idioms. It means either get to it or don't, but stop hemming and hawing, either way. Abandon indecision.

People don't say that where you're from I guess. Big country. How about ___ or get off the pot? Stop spinning my wheels?

I'm so excited for this year's garden! I still have a lot to learn but im slowly starting to understand this gardening thing. I got hooked on corn last year and this year is no different. I've been eating so many tortillas this winter and I'm excited to grow some new varieties.
1000004813.jpg

No, 'fish or cut bait' one of them there idioms. It means either get to it or don't, but stop hemming and hawing, either way. Abandon indecision.

People don't say that where you're from I guess. Big country. How about ___ or get off the pot? Stop spinning my wheels?
We say sh__ or get off the pot. I think my grandma used to till Fish into her garden.

There is a lot of organic fwrm ground just to the SE of me. Pretty sure fish guts are used for fertilizer a lot. Plenty of cow and hog shit around though...
I know there was a push in southern Illinois to make fish fertilizer plants to give commercial fisherman a reason to go after Asian carp. I don’t know if it caught on.

I did take advantage of abnormal wi twr to get another truck load of horse manure in. Had to dump some of it onto snow

Won't get stuff into the ground til memorial day, but will have stuff I. The cold frame before that

I do bury fileted fish bodies near plants, seems to help

While in early grade school, we read where Native Americans used dead fish for fertilizer. For the next several springs, I speared many dozens of suckers from a stream on my grandfather’s farm. They all were buried in the family garden 😂 !!

It really hasn't been a bad winter out East. We had a few snows and one cold snap in January.
Once we hit the middle of February it can't help but start warming up some,hours of daylight and sun angle start working in our favor. I've got daffodils and crocuses poking out of the flower beds. I'm a glass half full guy. Lol
That and I'll be in Mexico for a week in February, if we get a cold snap I hope it's that week. My minds on mojitos and cinnamon teal.

Hate to be negative Nancy but I feel like there's no way we're out of the woods yet. Probably a shitty spring. I sure hope not.
I have been thinking the same thing. Looking at our 14-day forecast there are more seasonal temperatures on the way, but nothing terribly cold or snowy. Our last frost is May 5 on average and I have seen blizzards in April so I think I will wait a while to plant any early stuff outside like potatoes and garlic.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back