unit 76

richard727

68 old drew a bow tag after 13 years. anyone know of a place diy that is fairly easy to get into to hunt. dont want to have a heart attack. any help wood be would be appreciated thanks richard

That's big steep country. That time of year the elk will be high. The Weminuche is one of our country's great wilderness areas, though. That'll be a great elk hunt. If I were you, I'd think long and hard about getting someone with horses to pack you into the high country. You'll have a better experience and have help getting your camp and elk meat out of the mountains.

^I was about to post the same thing. I would try to use horses if possible. Unit 76 is steep country. These CO tags have turned into once in a lifetime draws. I would do everything within my power to make it a success.

These CO tags have turned into once in a lifetime draws. I would do everything within my power to make it a success.

Yeah that's another good point. Those top elk GMUs in CO are essentially once-in-a-lifetime. Might as well go all-out on this opportunity.

I am sure there are "easy" elk in 76, but not being physically able to access the timberline country on foot (DIY) is a big hurdle. If you cannot access this country on your own, I would look for outfitter assistance.

Even the low country is 10K in that unit.

I hunted it back in 2010. PM me for some of my thoughts if interested, although that was 6 years ago now.

That is probably one of the most remote and rugged areas in Colorado. During archery, the elk are going to be way back in there up high. As others have stated, having access to stock could really make or break this hunt. Not trying to scare you away, as plenty of guys get it done every w/o horses and diy, but accessing the country that holds elk in Sept. could involve an 8 mile hike w/ significant elevation gain. Check out the hunt atlas, you can turn on elk summer concentration areas and overlay it with a Forest Service MVUM. See if there are any areas that may hold some elk, and may only be a mile or two from a road. Because 76 is a limited entry tag, you might not need to pack way back in there.

I have a buddy who hunted GMU 76 last season with muzzle loader, just him and his wife did a drop camp, he is a very particular 77yr old individual and he highly recommends the outfitter who packed them in 12mi. If you do decide to go that route shoot me a pm if you want more info. As others said, very steep and high altitude, they were hunting at 11k - 12k feet daily, and he did kill a heck of a nice bull in there. Good luck!

Have you done any map scouting. There are areas close to roads that hold elk. Everyone thinks all the elk are high in this umit and that's not 100% true. Yes there are definitely more elk high but elk can be found lower too.

Bear in mind, a lot of the unit 76 country on the South and East portions of it were consumed in the huge forest fire in 2013. By now, the grasses have come back in the burn areas, however the stark landscape is not so pretty, and doesn't offer as much cover for Elk to feel secure. I live not far from this area, and a lot of the trailheads accessed off of Hwy. 149 are a trek uphill and across many creeks to get back into the country.
If I had just one chance to hunt the country, I guess I'd invest in either an outfitted hunt or a drop camp. Either choice will get you further back into some pristine country than you can hike, and the amenities of a big wall tent, wood stove, etc. will make for a far better experience than a mountain tent and dehydrated food for meals!

and the amenities of a big wall tent, wood stove, etc. will make for a far better experience than a mountain tent and dehydrated food for meals!

That is of personal choice, for myself and i'm sure quite a few on this board that statement is completely untrue, I personally look for a better experience and more satisfaction by DIY. I would hope in this gentleman's case that just because he is 68 doesn't mean he cannot enjoy a DIY hunt for elk, a couple of retired buddies i'm sure could help out if he does get an elk or an outfitter that will get the meat out for him.

on another note, I know nothing about colorado, it's not all about getting the elk, its about the adventure, Good luck, post up how you do along the way!
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back