Trump admin expanding access on national refuges

Tommy Chong would make amazing work of his "Labrador" weed with that beast setup...

Many Federal Refuges (including the one here in Vermont) were purchased with money mostly coming from the sale of Duck Stamps, purchased mainly by HUNTERS. I have never seen any money contributed by birdwatcher or hiker stamps. I have hunted on several Federal Refuges for deer and waterfowl. Each was well managed with plenty of closed areas set aside for resting and feeding wildlife.

I hunt a NWR for deer nearly every year. They hold limited entry hunts on the weekends, and the quality of deer is very high there, great age class.

Anyone have a link to exactly what is now open for what? More specifically what is open to what that wasnt open to what earlier.

Pm it to me please.

I hunt a NWR for deer nearly every year. They hold limited entry hunts on the weekends, and the quality of deer is very high there, great age class.
I wish they offered longer tags for that hunt, even if that did reduce the chance of drawing. Some great deer come off that place.

Reactions: LCH
Even though I don't waterfowl hunt much any more it is near and dear to my heart as it is how I got my real start in hunting almost, exclusively on public land. Locally, waterfowl is pretty much the only puplic land hunting you can do and expect to have any success at, if all other things go right.

I think opening more public land for hunting is a good thing for hunting as long as it doesn't negatively effect the resource. The cynic in me sees appreciates the gesture of the left hand but is concerned about what the right hand is up to.

Cool, I guess...the more the merrier.
Glad they are opening some WR's up, appearantly... I used to hunt birds on some, when I did hunt birds.
Excuse my ignorance on currant Wildlife Refuges & hunting on them, but I looked at that list & 1/2 the ones listed in CA I have hunted on before, years ago. Seems to me I have hunted the same ones listed as now open in NM too before.
Granted I have not stepped foot on a WR in 10 yrs except a roadside stop.
But I do know my brother & I slipped off 2 Thanksgiving & Christmas weekend days @ my sisters place in the Bayarea to go hunt Colusa area WR & Grizzly Island...but that was in olden days...1980's

The discussion seems to be focused on waterfowl hunting so I'll roll with that.

From my limited understanding, protection of breeding grounds has high priority among waterfowl conservation groups. We'll need a bigger tent to provide the resources to protect this important habitat. However, there are so many barriers to entry into waterfowl hunting (cost of equipment, limited habitat for public hunting, the high cost of private leases, etc) that I never considered it until marrying into private land hunting. Eliminating those barriers is necessary to expand our tent.

We've all seen the Instagram pics of a group of face painted bros with a pile of group limits (I've been in them, sans face paint). But those are often the same few folks over and over. We need more folks supporting waterfowl conservation. If we need to reduce bag limits to lower hunting pressure, I'm all for it. I'd rather be able to shoot fewer ducks and hunt more ducks in more places than shoot more ducks in fewer places.

Funding via cow flatulence as an alternative? Would have Cortez as a Vice... President?

Ironic she wants to permanently fund LWCF and ban offshore drilling.
Dumbfauxsquax
"That’s why on my first day as president, I will sign an executive order that says no more drilling — a total moratorium on all new fossil fuel leases, including for drilling offshore and on public lands. "

Middle creek Wildlife management area is in our back yard. It is owned by the pennsylvania game commission but I believe it shares many similarities with national wildlife refuges. They have always done controlled, permitted waterfowl hunting in the management area. This provides some great opportunities for the average sportsmen. And it has no noticeable effect on migrating birds. All the farm fields around Middle Creek are leased by outfitters now ( I can remember when all it took was a knock) so it is very nice that the average guy has at least some opportunity.

Back