Truck Fuel MPG

'08 Tacoma 4banger with a topper. With E rated AT tires it gets about 20 mpg, assuming about 75% highway miles.

Never even bothered to check. I need to drive a full size truck. It is what it is. mtmuley

2008 Ford F250 6.4 diesel gets about 14 in town and up to 18 on the highway depending on how fast I drive and the wind. If I am towing my 6600 dry weight travel trailer it goes down to 8-9.

2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, crew cab 4X4 long box. I reset one of my trips every 10,000 miles. Overall average is always plus or minus a tenth or 2 of 18 mpg. Strictly freeway 19-23 depending on wind. Pulling a big enclosed trailer drops it to around 8-10 for a trip out west. Overall, pretty happy with 18 mpg with how I use it.

Ok I’ll bite , 2007 4 runner. 21 mph highway as I just checked from Michigan to Philadelphia. 20 mpg mixed gravel and paved suburbia. Also 20 mpg towing my 18’ G3 do it all aluminum boat. My 2004 4Runner has 275k miles and still gets 19 1/2 mpg. 2004 Ford ranger FX4 v6 4wd 265,000 miles 14 mpg and the dang thing won’t die. Bought new and on its 8 set of tires, first set from factory was good for one year wranglers, dang soft front end chewed through them babies after 18,000 miles with rotation after every oil change. Sure wished tundra would come along with low to mid 20’s mpg and I would be in one.

My passat tdi regularly gets over 50 mpg, mostly when my wife drives.😁
My 3/4 ton suburban with the 454 gets about 11, good thing gas is cheap right now and it has a 42 gallon tank.
A good website to research mpg is Fuelly, they have an app for your phone you can use to track your mpg. I haven't used it, but I use the website a lot when I'm researching vehicles.

2018 Tacoma, E rated AT's in stock size.

21 mpg highway
16 mpg pulling super light 4x8 trailer and ATV.
13 mpg loaded to the hilt and pulling fully loaded 4x8 trailer to Montana and back this year.

My trucks NEVER get the mileage that others report on the internet, just like my rifles are never as accurate, nor my deer as big as those on the net. :(

:)
Right lol me alone driving dirt in Montana aka 40-55mph I can get 32 in my Corolla, highway going 75-80 or city traffic 28. My wife’s forester averages about 22 in the city and 24 on the highway.

My mom had a Prius for a while and I never broke 40 mostly in the 32-36 range so yeah.... cough...bullshit... cough

Also borrowed a buddies tundra for a hunt 5.7L V8, we ran outta gas day 1 and drove the Subaru for the rest of the hunt, I think 10 mpg on dirt roads would be wildly over exergerating it’s mpg... 6-8 I think is realistic.

Last edited:
Appreciate people taking part. Fuel mileage has so many variables that it makes it tough. I spent two weeks driving a Tundra on a fire assignment, honestly that ruled out a tundra for me when I started looking at a new truck in 2016. I'm curious to see numbers from the Chevy 6.6L gas.

My future plan is upgrade to a 3/4 ton next year. Then sell my bumper pull camper to get a fifth wheel. I want to pull my raft/boat behind so the wife and I don't have to take two vehicles every time we go to the lakes or rivers.

Right lol me alone driving dirt in Montana aka 40-55mph I can get 32 in my Corolla, highway going 75-80 or city traffic 28. My wife’s forester averages about 22 in the city and 24 on the highway.

My mom had a Prius for a while and I never broke 40 mostly in the 32-36 range so yeah.... cough...bullshit... cough

Also borrowed a buddies tundra for a hunt, we ran outta gas day 1 and drove the Subaru for the rest of the hunt, I think 10 mpg on dirt roads would be wildly over exergerating it’s mpg... 6-8 I think is realistic.
Our 4x4 Rav4 hybrid gets significantly better mileage than advertised. I was supposed to be 38 city, but we get 44-46 city in the summer.

Our 4x4 Rav4 hybrid gets significantly better mileage than advertised. I was supposed to be 38 city, but we get 44-46 city in the summer.
300lb elk, errr I mean whitetail ;)

though possibly it's how you drive the vehicle...

Last edited:
2015 2.7L ecoboost 4x4 2" level and oversized 10 ply tires in ohio @ 900' elevation
Attach files
highway - 18 city - 16 towing 30 ft travel trailer - 9

Stock setup was roughly 3-4 mpg higher than where I am now except for the tow mpg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back