Truck Fuel MPG

BRI

Reading all the threads on trucks and such, I'm curious what realistic gas mileage people are getting with different trucks. I'm likely a year out from upgrading to a new truck, so it got me thinking about why not post some info here and maybe others will post their info and give those people looking some hopefully credible info. Now I know there are so many variables that go into fuel mileage that it can make your head spin and possibly this stays on track without opinions on what someone should or should not do and not looking for that one time someone got the best mpg on a tank in their life but typical driving. Hopefully just useful information to anyone interested.

So here is my (hopefully useful) info:
2016 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. 3.21:1 Gears. All stock, no aftermarket improvements or modifications. Topper, Mastercraft AT tires. Use the cheapest Octane gas too.
General interstate/highway trips I get 18 mpg. Towing my 28' travel trailer I get 9. I reset my trip odometer on January 1 last year and have just under 12,000 miles and computer says average 15.6.

My work truck is a 2015 GMC, 5.3 engine. 2" level kit, average highway and woods is 16.5 over the course of nearly 90,000 miles.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L diesel. Average is about 25. On country roads where I keep it below 60 I can push into the low 30's. Around town it's probably around 20 or less. It starts to get inefficient when I get over 75 mph. I don't really tow, except for the occasional drift boat, so I don't know that mpg number. It's got a topper, bigger AT tires and I removed the silly air dam in the front.

My 2007 Silverado with a 2.5" leveling kit and 33s can get about 18 highway also. Nothing fantastic but it's good enough for me. Leveling kit plus bigger tires (not stupid wide ones) are amazing on the lake in the winter. I'm able to get through more snow than most atvs can.

Odds are slim you're eyeing either of mine but for posterity...

2008 Titan crew, flush topper. About 17.5 mpg with winter road tires, with AT's it's about 16.

1995 K2500, 350, reg cab long bed, ladder rack, -1 rear window to save weight, and more dents than a golf ball (minimizes drag). AKA "brown sugar". 14 mpg, probably get a little more if you piss in the gas tank now and then.

Reading all the threads on trucks and such, I'm curious what realistic gas mileage people are getting with different trucks. I'm likely a year out from upgrading to a new truck, so it got me thinking about why not post some info here and maybe others will post their info and give those people looking some hopefully credible info. Now I know there are so many variables that go into fuel mileage that it can make your head spin and possibly this stays on track without opinions on what someone should or should not do and not looking for that one time someone got the best mpg on a tank in their life but typical driving. Hopefully just useful information to anyone interested.

So here is my (hopefully useful) info:
2016 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. 3.21:1 Gears. All stock, no aftermarket improvements or modifications. Topper, Mastercraft AT tires. Use the cheapest Octane gas too.
General interstate/highway trips I get 18 mpg. Towing my 28' travel trailer I get 9. I reset my trip odometer on January 1 last year and have just under 12,000 miles and computer says average 15.6.
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi (74,000 miles), mine is 3.21 rear end as well. I get about 20.5 mpg overall. I do live a little rural and travel 34 miles round trip to work every day. 35 to 60 MPH the entire way. In town driving would cut my MPG down to around 18. I use Plus Fuel (Mid Level) as recommended for the Hemi. My truck is stock as well with no topper.

I probably average 15 overall for my Tundra with the 5.7 V8, 275/70/18 Duratracs and 4.30 rear end. I can get 16-17 cruising on 70mph 2 lane highways if I’m not fighting the wind.

I have a 2013 F150 and six-speed 5.0.
I got it 2 1/2 years ago. I set the MPG on the dash and have never changed it just to see what it does in the real world.
That's winter, summer highway dirt two-wheel drive, and 4 wheel drive.
Running with just me in the truck and with 5 people I have an 18-foot boat I pull and a trailer full of 4wheelers, and Lots of wind. Lots of hills and miles of prairie average altitude is 3800 feet above sea level. 27,000 miles.
That is as real-world as I can get it.
It sits at 15.7
I feel that very good for a truck used as a truck.

I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the 6.2liter engine. We drive back and forth between Fargo and Bozeman several times each year. I have gotten as much as 20 mpg but that was driving probably 65 because of road conditions. My wife typically drives 80 - 85 mph & then we get around 17 mpg. Really like this truck except for the auto stop. I especially like the new tailgate.

Last edited:
2012 ford f250 with 6.7 powerstroke and 3.30 whatever gears ford has. I see typically 17-18 highway and 12 pulling my skidloader trailer with side by side. And 10-11 pulling our cm 38’ horse trailer. We use it for deer camp. Works out awesome by the way. All on stock size tires.

2014 Ram 3500 6.7 cummmins, ~16mpg with all emissions crap taken off and deleted.

My 2007 Silverado with a 2.5" leveling kit and 33s can get about 18 highway also. Nothing fantastic but it's good enough for me. Leveling kit plus bigger tires (not stupid wide ones) are amazing on the lake in the winter. I'm able to get through more snow than most atvs can.
Gas or diesel? I had a 2006 2500 HD that was probably one of the best work vehicles I've had. It had 4.10 gears as I recall, and the Vortec 6.0. I don't know that I ever broke 14 mpg with it. It would go anywhere though, especially with chains on all corners.

Gas or diesel? I had a 2006 2500 HD that was probably one of the best work vehicles I've had. It had 4.10 gears as I recall, and the Vortec 6.0. I don't know that I ever broke 14 mpg with it. It would go anywhere though, especially with chains on all corners.
1500 gasser, I put a new motor in mine 3 years ago as the previous owner aparently liked to run it without oil in it... I haven't had a need to get chains yet and I don't know if I will need them! I was running some wrangler duratracs and recently replaced them with some toyo at3s, hopefully they live up to my duratracs as far as the off road performance. Couldn't bring myself to spend 1300 on tires for a truck I might only have for a couple more years

I was running some wrangler duratracs and recently replaced them with some toyo at3s, hopefully they live up to my duratracs as far as the off road performance. Couldn't bring myself to spend 1300 on tires for a truck I might only have for a couple more years
The Toyos were cheaper??? I put Duratracs on in October and they were $30 a tire cheaper than the Toyos. The Duratracs are a great tire, but if they wear funny they sure can get loud.

2019 F150, 4 door, short bed, 2.7 ecoboost, 4x4, completely stock: gets 22 mixed driving for work.
2009 Chevy 2500 HD, extended cab, 8 foot bed, 6.0, 4x4, stock: got 12 or 13 mixed driving for work
2006 Tundra, 4 door, 4x4, close to leveled, stock tire size: gets 16.5 mixed driving for recreation.

They all run the cheapest gas, 85. Both work and play usually involve some highway or interstate, 55-80 mph, to or over the divide and then some dirt road driving.

The Toyos were cheaper??? I put Duratracs on in October and they were $30 a tire cheaper than the Toyos. The Duratracs are a great tire, but if they wear funny they sure can get loud.
Yes, my toyos were just over 200$ a piece (285/70/17) the duratracs were like 290 a piece...

I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier with the V6 and 4x4. I get around 20 on the highway and 14 to 16 in the city. May look into a full size for the next pickup but the thought of a Jeep Gladiator with the 3.0 diesel has my interest.

i'm running ATs on my 2014 titan pro

seems to get 14-15.5 in town

also seems to get 14-15.5 highway

5 speed 5.6 liters for the win i guess

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back