Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Trigger sticks for hiking

VAspeedgoat

I was curious as to what you guys think about the prospect of using a primos triggerstick monopod in place of an actuall hiking pole. I am not sure they are rugged enough to keep from colapsing when pressure is applied.

Also, do many of you use some sort of pole/stick when hunting with a heavy pack?

Thanks

Always try to,use hiking sticks when carrying weight, be it camp or meat. Also use when just hiking. Dont when hunting (bow in hand instead). One stick is hardly useful to me. Two or none.
For the most part.

Never used a trigger stick but a look online looks like a PIA versus a real hiking pole for stable walking with or without weght on your back.

Last edited:
Like the post above, I use sticks when packing any weight. For hunting I use a set of Stony Point collapsible shooting sticks. I've not found the monopods to work all that well for me for a shooting aid. I'd really like to find a bipod type setup that would work well as a hiking stick.

I've got a Tripod version of the trigger stick. It's great as a shooting rest, not so much as a walking stick. Real heavy, and the strap around the bottom wants to come undone and let the legs spread apart while walking with it. I do use it for balance going up/down steep slopes, but just carry it the rest of the time.

I've got a Tripod version of the trigger stick. It's great as a shooting rest, not so much as a walking stick. Real heavy, and the strap around the bottom wants to come undone and let the legs spread apart while walking with it. I do use it for balance going up/down steep slopes, but just carry it the rest of the time.

I have the two leg version of the trigger stick and my experience is very similar to LCH's...it gets heavy rather quickly. Perhaps the mono leg would work better for a walking stick, it should definitely be lighter!

My BIL has a mono and somehow lost the V shaped rifle rest while hiking (it's designed to unscrew so you can mount your camera or spotter on it after taking the V shaped forearm rest off the trigger stick). Just check the universal adapter nut every so often and make sure it's tight. I think he was carrying it by the V-shaped piece (instead of the actual handle) and that's why it came loose and eventually fell off. Other than that you should be good to go.

Last edited:
I've often wondered the same thing. Would the bipod trigger stick be useable as a walking stick? I've handled them several times in the stores but had a nagging doubt about them since they never promote them as duel use, plus they are heavy and may have issues with the legs flopping around. So I have been thinking of using my walking sticks that are the type that extend and have loops at the handles. Why wouldn't a person be able to slip one pole through the loop and use his/her hand to hold and steady them for your shot???? I have to experiment with this method at the range and see if it works. I use cross sticks when I shoot BPCR silhouette and they work awesome. I'm thinking the walking sticks may work the same;)
Dan

I have the two leg version of the trigger stick and my experience is very similar to LCH's...it gets heavy rather quickly. Perhaps the mono leg would work better for a walking stick, it should definitely be lighter!

I'll third this. I've got both the bi-pod and tri-pod versions and love them if I'm stationary. They're a poor walking stick, decent rest and not great for lugging around the hills or coulees.

I've used the stoney point monopod with the v yoke for over a decade. Never lost the yoke but have broken a few...easily replaced and the improvisations for a solid rest are many. That said, my kness (and dinkshooter) tell me it's time to look into a quality shock absorbing pair with straps.

Last edited:
Get a very good pair of fiberglass pair of walking sticks that have a 1/4"-20 thread top so can unscrew the knob and screw in the y-yoke. Best of both worlds assuming you have a few minutes to set up for the shot and are not busting critters in heavy brush where seconds count. I will never again pack out more than 50# on uneven terrain without walking sticks. The sticks make the packing less risky and I rely on my legs and core strength less since rarely are swaying off center and need to use legs and core to recenter my upper body.

I've a pair of quality shock absorbing sticks. I carry the rt hand on my pack collapsed while hiking and always have my left hand stick in use.

I've not used a "y" type top as it seems a heavy weighted unit in comparison. I have used my hiking stick as a "y" setting to shoot as the strap and my hand grip make an easy rest to shoot.
If game is down, my other stick comes out and it is awesome the extra stability two sticks offer while packing out game as mentioned by other(s) here.

Back