tresspassers!!!!!

Since when are elk the holy grail of big game hunting?? I've hunted alaska twice and will be flying over your elk again when I go one more time next fall...!

Haha, you hit the nail on the head. But was any of my post incorrect?

I also might add that elk are the new white tail, and a Rocky Mt. Elk hunt IS the holy grail of hunting right now, incorrect?

Sorry, it just really grinds my gears when people think they own deer and bitch about keeping people off of land that no one else gets to hunt.
Yes some of your post was incorrect. He never once mentioned baiting. He said their was a food plot, but he never mentioned "bird seed" (ie bait). Also, please clue me into why I should not keep folks off the land I own?

First off, NO ONE owns any deer, there is no such thing as YOUR deer. Just because you paid for the bird seed to "grow big horns" does not mean it's yours. Might as well be a high fenced operation.

Second, if you can afford to buy land for the sole purpose of hunting, then you can afford to come out west and earn a real trophy. I know baiting isn't easy and it does take work to keep the deer fed and happy, but hunting out west and humping your ass up the hills in the deers' living room is where real trophies are earned. Trophies are earned, not made or grown. Filling up feeders and maintaining your blaze orange square inch requirement on the top of your fence posts to keep the trespassers out is child's play compared to the real work you will put in in the mountains.

I would consider dealing with the trespassers as part of the deal, since the most elevation gain you will make all season is 20 feet up your tree.

"On the other side of our property this year, we had people lined up on the fence waiting to shoot deer on ours." - Albeit, that is a lame way to hunt, and not how I would go about things, it's not illegal or wrong. To each his own.

...I don't even know what to say . . .except WOW. Clueless . . . . .

First off, NO ONE owns any deer, there is no such thing as YOUR deer. Just because you paid for the bird seed to "grow big horns" does not mean it's yours. Might as well be a high fenced operation.

Second, if you can afford to buy land for the sole purpose of hunting, then you can afford to come out west and earn a real trophy. I know baiting isn't easy and it does take work to keep the deer fed and happy, but hunting out west and humping your ass up the hills in the deers' living room is where real trophies are earned. Trophies are earned, not made or grown. Filling up feeders and maintaining your blaze orange square inch requirement on the top of your fence posts to keep the trespassers out is child's play compared to the real work you will put in in the mountains.

I would consider dealing with the trespassers as part of the deal, since the most elevation gain you will make all season is 20 feet up your tree.

"On the other side of our property this year, we had people lined up on the fence waiting to shoot deer on ours." - Albeit, that is a lame way to hunt, and not how I would go about things, it's not illegal or wrong. To each his own.

Wow.....just wow.

Who's Deer?

I dont know what MY Deer were doing on your land. Im goin to have to put the shock collars back on!!!!

I really don't know where the thought that a person in the Eastern Part of the US has not humped his ass off for a Western trophy. I just don't get that Tarzan chit. John

As a side note about elk being the holy grail, it would seem mT fwp begs to differ as trophy rams have the steepest fine. I'm not saying sheep are the grail, just pointing out the absurdity of a blanket statement.

I'm guessing here. . .never killed a 180" Whitetail? Those are sooo easy to find here. . . let alone harvest!! I agree that trophies are earned. . .each of us has a different take on what a "trophy" is. I have hunted and killed elk, and yes, it is some serious work. . .but so is hunting huge whitetails here. I just hate the "Holier than thou" crap. Ok my rant is over, carry on boys.:D

I don't have anything against the whitetail hunters. I completely understand that a majority of the hunting in this country is on private land and that we are so lucky out west to be able to hunt the land that we do. I also believe that finding a 180" white tail is an incredible amount of commitment. I've never seen one even close to that. I have a buddy in Texas that can't even find a spot to shoot a couple ducks without paying a ridiculous fee. It's unfortunate.

People should not be trespassing, it is against the law and not cool. But hearing some of you hunting landowners complain about having to deal with that ruffles my feathers. It seems like a pretty fair trade to me since you don't have to climb 2000 feet JUST to get to where there is even deer sign. You guys set up trail cameras, fend off trespassers and try to locate ghostly monster white tails. We scout and climb big hills in the summer then again in the Fall to find our deer. Often times someone shoots them out from under us, nothing we can do, we don't own the deer. It's public land.

I am not saying one is better than the other, we all deal with different demons in the pursuit of trophies regarding our favorite hobby. But you don't see us starting a thread titled "These hills are too big!!!!!!" If the OP is 14 I apologize for provoking a war on his thread and I eat some of the words from my first post as it came out too hostile. My posts have been in response to some of the other posters on this thread from back east, NOT the OP's thread because his wasn't written in a complaining manner.

You guys set up trail cameras, fend off trespassers and try to locate ghostly monster white tails..

You just don't get it. There is a lot more that goes into owning property than just the actual hunt. I spend most weekends out of the year working on our property to maintain it and improve it. Just getting to the property and back from home is a huge time commitment. The work involves plenty of sweat and blood, and picking 100 ticks off myself each day isn't all that great. I'm not saying I don't enjoy doing the work, because I do enjoy seeing my work result in a better environment for the wildlife and making the woods better for future generations. It is, however, less enjoyable than hiking around in the mountains scouting and watching deer. Of course people are going to complain about trespassers when they (like yourself) don't understand nor do they contribute to the effort that goes into the property.

So, I feel like this may start a whole new slew of comments and anger but...
In areas of the west with much more public land the number of hunters is way higher due to the fact that others have already noted we have a lot more public land, the further south and east that you go it is harder to find places to hunt as a public land hunter, this I understand. However, hunting is not guaranteed to us in any form, it is a practice that needs public support to continue. however in areas with little or no public land and no landowners that allow hunting, the majority of public support goes away because, simply put if the majority of people never have a chance to try it, then they wont care.
Without the public support and passing on the true meaning of hunting to the younger generation the sport will loose its funding for wildlife management and improvement. If this were to happen hunting all across the country could turn into the way it is in texas, high fees and private ranches. Offer to Take several young hunters on your property and help pass on the sport to the younger generation, you still are not letting the public on, but you are letting the most important hunters on, the hunters of tomorrow.

I don't have anything against the whitetail hunters. I completely understand that a majority of the hunting in this country is on private land and that we are so lucky out west to be able to hunt the land that we do. I also believe that finding a 180" white tail is an incredible amount of commitment. I've never seen one even close to that. I have a buddy in Texas that can't even find a spot to shoot a couple ducks without paying a ridiculous fee. It's unfortunate.

People should not be trespassing, it is against the law and not cool. But hearing some of you hunting landowners complain about having to deal with that ruffles my feathers. It seems like a pretty fair trade to me since you don't have to climb 2000 feet JUST to get to where there is even deer sign. You guys set up trail cameras, fend off trespassers and try to locate ghostly monster white tails. We scout and climb big hills in the summer then again in the Fall to find our deer. Often times someone shoots them out from under us, nothing we can do, we don't own the deer. It's public land.

I am not saying one is better than the other, we all deal with different demons in the pursuit of trophies regarding our favorite hobby. But you don't see us starting a thread titled "These hills are too big!!!!!!" If the OP is 14 I apologize for provoking a war on his thread and I eat some of the words from my first post as it came out too hostile. My posts have been in response to some of the other posters on this thread from back east, NOT the OP's thread because his wasn't written in a complaining manner.

T-dub, You really need to expand your horizons and experiences a little before you open mounth and insert foot. I have hunted NC, IN, WA and CO for WTs, BTs, Muleys and Elk and can say that the experience and efforts involved in each location and for each species are entirely different. I hunt high country wilderness here in CO and it is a royal pain to get to but once there I have peace and a fair degree of solitude. My cost's are supplies and licenses. In NC I hunted incredibly small tracks of public land sandwiched between development in pursuit of tiny deer. In WA I hunted big tracts of public "big woods". Hard to get to, low deer density and sometimes less than friendly locals (Ft Lewis area). In IN it is get almost impossible to find private land to hunt without spending $$$ due to out of state guys willing to pay for the chance at big midwestern WTs. Couple that with a small amount of public land and you have to really want to hunt and put effort into finding a place. If you are able to afford a place of your own then you get to take care of it (as described above), pay for insurance, pay taxes and worry about get stuff stolen (stands, cameras etc) BEFORE you even get to hunting season. Lots of differences. Having done both, I will end this by saying that if you think that doing some work during hunting season (a climb perhaps) and maybe some scouting, in some way means you have "earned" the right to dismiss someone's butt-pain at having their WORK/EFFORT pirated out from underneath them you are off your nut. Would you be upset if someone came and stole or destroyed the equipment you used to hunt? Think about it.

My two cents. My father lives in Ohio no one lets him hunt on there property, public land is not abundant in his part of the state. So he works and saves to buy a piece of land for him self. 60 acres out west you would hunt that in about 15 minutes. Anyway his little piece is trespassed on constantly by guys who say they know a guy who owns 3 acres and will let five guys hunt there. Now you start adding all the neighbors up that do this and there's 20 to 30 guys trespassing on my dads place and his farming neighbors. I don't care what part of the world your from that's not right and that is why land owners won't let hunters in! And yes they all have the same answer I didn't know. Bottom line it makes hunters look bad!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back