Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Trekking poles

fez

I guess it's time I swallow my pride and buy a pair of trekking poles. Any suggestions on what to buy? I blew my knee 7-8 years ago and recently tweaked it again playing ball so I'm trying to save me knees this summer and fall.

Thanks for the help/tips.

Black Diamond if you want some of the best and don't mind spending a little extra. Easton's if you want to not spend alot of money. Camofire has the Easton's at a much cheaper rate if you keep an eye on the site.

I run the Leki Cork Lites. Can find them on Sierra trading post for about $80 after some promos. I prefer these over the Black Diamonds

Flick lock especially. The twist lock give out over time and the flick locks last far longer. Just my own opinion is that Carbon may be lighter but it is also flimsier. There's a reason carbon fiber poles usually have 1 or 2 year warranties and aluminum poles are far longer. Type of handle is all personal preference. I personally like the way cork feels in my palm.

I have used and broken Black Diamond, Leki and MSR Carbon! However, all is not lost.... The MSR Carbon were my friends. He called them and they sent him a new SET for free! (so he now had 3 poles) A year later, he broke a pole. Again, got a new set. Now he has 2 sets!

The Leki's also have a good warranty and for a small fee, a hiking shop replaced the broken portions.

The Black Diamonds carried no warranty.

I also have had twist locks and lever type clamps. However, I can't really remember any distinct preference. Its been a few years since I finished hiking NYS 46 High Peaks....

I would buy the MSR Carbons if I ever found them for sale....

Black Diamond Z poles. Crazy light. They are fixed length, which I like, but some may not. I am going on my third year with them and they see consistent hard use. Really like them. No shame in trekking poles. They are the cat's pajamas if you ask me.

Black Diamond Z poles. Crazy light. They are fixed length, which I like, but some may not..

I have a pair of these also and really like them. Nice that they fold up small enough to put in a daypack, I will often use one while hunting, but have the 2nd one available if I need it in my pack.

I also have a set of Komperdell carbon poles that are also great, and are adjustable (lever clamps), but they are slightly heavier than the Z-poles and are not as compact.

I just got a pair of Leki poles. They're not the most expensive ones they offer. They were $100. I've only hiked around mushroom hunting so far and really like them.

I went a different route. I could not bring myself to pay $80-150 dollars for them so I just use branches I find in the woods here. I realize they are not compact like the paid for poles, but for free you can't have everything :)

I have a hard time spending top dollar on trekking poles because I inevitably leave them behind some place where they are lost forever. That said, my Costco poles are noisy and don't work very well, so I use the Leki poles I bought for my wife. :)

After giving out on their second hunt, I had to put my leki twist ones in the trash, where they'll be accompanied by Leki's customer service.
I'm currently having good luck with cheaper black diamonds. A buddy has had a set for three years. The flick lock or whatever you call it, kind.

I found Leki poles for $40 online,new. Twist models.
Would go with locks if I get newer ones,but have not had any problems with the twists. NM dust will take care of that I'm sure,it gets in everything.
Noisy at times, so I mainly use them getting out.
I like hands free hunting.
They do beat the single hiking pole I have used for years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I should check out the Leki line.

I found Leki poles for $40 online,new. Twist models.
Would go with locks if I get newer ones,but have not had any problems with the twists. NM dust will take care of that I'm sure,it gets in everything.
Noisy at times, so I mainly use them getting out.
I like hands free hunting.
They do beat the single hiking pole I have used for years.

Maybe I just got lemons. I could accept that, but can't accept the customer service. Or lack of.
They failed me packing 100 pounds of mountain goat and camp through rock and downfall in the dark. One of those times you really need your gear to perform.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back