Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Boot Rebuild Vs. New & Fit Thoughts

KayakMacGyver

I have a 4 year old pair of Schnee's Beartooth that need new tread. They have a lot of miles on them, but I know them well and that brings me peace of mind.

I can get a full rebuild through Schnee's at $180...or buy a new pair for another $120 or so. I'm also considering looking at other brands, but I'm not sure what could be better. This isn't above the cost savings right now, more about fixing some perceived deficiencies. That to say, the boots feel like an old girlfriend at this point and I'm conflicted about ditching them.

Here's my dilemma:

I've always had trouble with hot spots. My heel is the #1 offender. It seems like any boot I wear, from rubber to work boots, tear up my heel without some preventative maintenance. This includes a preventative regimen of liner sock + padded tape + Lueko tape before any outing. I've spent a ton of time trying on work boots over the years and it's a common theme for my heel to rub. Tennis shoes are never a problem for me. I may never solve this issue, but it would be nice.

I also develop hot spots on the pad of my foot when hunting the mountains. These generally develop on day 3 or so and turn into some serious blisters by day 6 or 7. See pic below for trouble spots. Side hilling gets me the worst.

I've always attribute this to my lack of foot conditioning pre-hunt as I live in Florida and no amount of training can prepare feet for the mountains when you come from flat ground. That said, I have noticed that my foot moves around inside the boot, particularly in this pivot point. I run my mountain boots a little big to prevent my toes from jamming the front of the toe box when coming downhill with heavy loads, so perhaps that is part of it? Appreciate any theories here.

Foot.JPG

Any Advice?

Suggestions, been there's, or other? Rebuild my current setup or start looking for new? I see weaknesses in my current boot and would love to knock out one or both of my current issues.

Final note that there is nowhere locally to try on mountain boots. As a result, I'm going to have to order online and would like to narrow down options to order a few to try and return what doesn't work.

Getting the right boot fit on a stiff mountain boot is a huge hassle, and obviously tough without some trial and error...and no guarantee you'll ever find the perfect fit. IMO you're on the right track to order a few in and just see how they feel. I knew the minute I put my foot in Crispi Nevada's they were the right fit for me personally, but that's obviously anecdotal and n=1.

They're never going to last as long as a tough mountain boot, but I've done a lot of serious mountain hunting in hightop running shoes. Hoka Tor and Kaha GTX, Altra, Inov-8, etc. Unless there's a lot of scree and talus (or cactus) involved I often take them May-October and sometimes later. I view them as semi-disposable, and try to wait for 30%-50% off at the end of seasons.

There's no replacement for a mountain boot when you need it, but it's pretty amazing how well feet can handle and respond to loads with a flexible, nimble shoe/boot. I guess my point is, even if you never find the perfect fit on a heavy boot you may be able to cut down on the times of year where you have to pull them out of the closet.

This may sound weird however, what kind of sock do you wear? Does it have a "fuzzy" side and a smooth side? An old mountain man once told me that if you wear your socks fuzzy side out, you won't get blisters. Makes sense to me as every one of those fuzzy parts acts independently to scrub on your foot.
As for the boot itself, if it is loose on your foot it is going to cause issues. Yep it sucks jammin your toes into the toe box on a downhill but would a better fitting boot or better quality boot keep you from having hot spots? I wouldn't rebuild an old boot myself though I get the emotional attachment.

Getting the right boot fit on a stiff mountain boot is a huge hassle, and obviously tough without some trial and error...and no guarantee you'll ever find the perfect fit. IMO you're on the right track to order a few in and just see how they feel. I knew the minute I put my foot in Crispi Nevada's they were the right fit for me personally, but that's obviously anecdotal and n=1.

They're never going to last as long as a tough mountain boot, but I've done a lot of serious mountain hunting in hightop running shoes. Hoka Tor and Kaha GTX, Altra, Inov-8, etc. Unless there's a lot of scree and talus (or cactus) involved I often take them May-October and sometimes later. I view them as semi-disposable, and try to wait for 30%-50% off at the end of seasons.

There's no replacement for a mountain boot when you need it, but it's pretty amazing how well feet can handle and respond to loads with a flexible, nimble shoe/boot. I guess my point is, even if you never find the perfect fit on a heavy boot you may be able to cut down on the times of year where you have to pull them out of the closet.

I'm going to check out the high top runners as an option. I see alot of benefits. How is the ankle support comparable, in your opinion? I've lost count of the number of times my Beartooth's have saved me from a rolled or broken ankle.

This may sound weird however, what kind of sock do you wear? Does it have a "fuzzy" side and a smooth side? An old mountain man once told me that if you wear your socks fuzzy side out, you won't get blisters. Makes sense to me as every one of those fuzzy parts acts independently to scrub on your foot.
As for the boot itself, if it is loose on your foot it is going to cause issues. Yep it sucks jammin your toes into the toe box on a downhill but would a better fitting boot or better quality boot keep you from having hot spots? I wouldn't rebuild an old boot myself though I get the emotional attachment.

I wear merino wool socks. Never given it much thought, but I think they do have a smooth side out. It's worth a shot and will try this some time.

I’ve never worn your type of boots, i though wear kenetrek mountain extremes 400’s. Ever since my first pair, Ive always worn a liner / sock combo and never had an issue. You may want to look at Lathrop and sons. I believe you have to provide them with a outline or something of your feet. Then they custom build a boot that fits your feet!

I think it depends on the condition of the uppers. If they have enough life left it makes sense to re sold the boot. Budget for a new insole foot bed while your at it… I feel like replacing them every couple years is worth the expense

Be careful on how tight of a toe box you like. I always liked my boots tight for better foot control when climbing and in rocky stuff. Now at 60 I have Morton’s Neuroma. Basically damaged the nerves in my toe metatarsals. Got so bad I could barely walk at times. Had to get rid of all my foot wear and move up to a larger and wider size.

I'm going to check out the high top runners as an option. I see alot of benefits. How is the ankle support comparable, in your opinion? I've lost count of the number of times my Beartooth's have saved me from a rolled or broken ankle.
It's different, pros and cons. On a sidehill for example I don't lean into the hill and rely on the boot to hold the ankle secure, I let it roll as part of the step for full contact with the hill. Over time ankles become more used to it, but there is a proprioception learning curve for your lower limbs and use of poles. It's like french technique in mountaineering.

Over the years I have found I have less ankle rolls or issues with a more flexible shoe because of the lateral flexion. Taken to the extreme for examples' sake, imagine your shoe has a plywood bottom, and you step on a pebble with your instep. It will roll the whole shoe over like a seesaw. If you step on that same pebble with a running shoe, that area will absorbe the imbalance but most of the sole will still make full contact with the ground.

There is 100% still a time for a tough, ridgid mountain boot where you just need to lock things down. I just think there's more gray than most people do. I'd call it an informed opinion at best, but it's been relevent for me.

Be careful on how tight of a toe box you like. I always liked my boots tight for better foot control when climbing and in rocky stuff. Now at 60 I have Morton’s Neuroma. Basically damaged the nerves in my toe metatarsals. Got so bad I could barely walk at times. Had to get rid of all my foot wear and move up to a larger and wider size.

I developed a Mortons Neuroma on my right foot about 8ish years ago. It really sucks. Same as you, I managed it over the last 4 years with wide width boots, then using a powerstep pinnacle insole with metatarsal pad. Also, I noticed some socks are worse than others in aggravating it.

To the OP, I used to get hot spots on the ball of my foot. As mentioned above certain socks were worse. Since changing to more or a gel style insole, I haven't had that. The superfeet insoles were the worst for me in regards to hotspot on the ball.

As mentioned above certain socks were worse. Since changing to more or a gel style insole, I haven't had that. The superfeet insoles were the worst for me in regards to hotspot on the ball.
I agree on insoles; it sounds like the OP needs to look there rather than at the uppers or outsole. Insoles are the easiest and cheapest part of a boot to address, and in many cases can make the biggest impact.

I’d suggest talking to a cobbler (not a boot salesperson) about what your best options are. If you decide to do a resole, that’s a great time to look at adding a leather insole that will mold to your foot, as well as some insertable gel cushioning for arch support etc.

Lots of great info here and appreciate the feedback. I've spent about $160 on insoles ($40 a pop) trying to find something that helps, but have yet to go the gel route. Have tried superfeet and curex, which all led to different problems altogether. Will also start looking around for a cobbler to get some help.

The Morton's neuroma has me concerned about long term health I've not considered.

I almost always end a 2 week hunting trip in the mountains with some numb toes. Packing down steep faces with heavy loads takes a toll.
The numbness fades after a couple/few months, but I just thought of it like a sore muscle....

I run my mountain boots a little big to prevent my toes from jamming the front of the toe box when coming downhill with heavy loads, so perhaps that is part of it?
I can't say I know this to be a fact about hiking boots, but for ski boots jamming your toes actually comes from having your boots too big and giving your feet too much room to move around. I go for tight with my hiking boots and have never had any issues with blisters or jamming toes. 10 in shoes and 9 in boots.

Your heels slip, your ball of foot pivots, your toes bang against the boot on descent. Is your boot size too wide and or too large? Every manufacturer uses a mold of what they consider to be their average foot, mold is called a last. When you find the manufacturer whose last is the closest match to your foot proportions you will experience better fitment. I have narrow B/C width feet. Low volume is another term for thin feet. Salomon, Merrell and Keene fit me better than most other brands because they use lower volume lasts. I have some Raichle all leather hikers that were made in B width, those fit so well I bought a second pair for when #1 wears out. Sometimes my best fit is in women's boots and hiking shoes, where the average width is B (mens average is D width), size 11 or 12 if I can find them, and if they match your purse. Whether your feet are narrow, wide, flat, high arch, or some combination of those, when you find a brand that fits well stick with that brand.

Also I have a collection of a dozen or more different orthotics and footbeds. I try different ones until I get the right combo of boot and footbed.

^^^ good advice.

I'd categorize my feet as wider than D but not quite E. Meindl has been that boot that best fits my feet. I own 4 pair now. Since going to the wide width, I also have a drawer full of various insoles. First thing I do is take the crappy insoles out of the boot. I've even had boots break in with one insole but then have change insoles after a year or more. Nice to have a drawer full to try.

When I was younger, I could wear most any pair of boots no problem. Now over 50, I find if my feet hurt, my knees, hips and back also hurt.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back