Schnee's Beartooth Owners

TOGIE

I'm lazy, didn't do any searching.

I'm badly in need of a new pair of boots and I'm likely just gonna get some Beartooths.

Packing out a little buck last night, somehow, someway, I punctured my boot with a stout piece of wood that passed through the sole at an angle up and out the side, barely missing the knuckle for my big toe. Hate to think of if that had somehow done that same thing at a different angle.
I didn't have pliers and couldn't pull it out with my hands, it was an uncomfortable final 0.6 miles or so. These boots were at the end anyway.

IMG-5031.jpg

I tend to fall in the camp of lightly insulated or non insulated hunting boots.

So question for you Beartooth owners, my gut tells me those uninsulated ones still do a great job at keeping your feet happy, even in wintry cold hunting conditions. Obviously, lots of western hunting involves high exertion and steep hills and many miles, hence, i'm leery of the insulated boots. But it also involves long glassing sessions trying not to freeze your ass and appendages off.

So, to those of you that own some Beartooths tell me about your experiences, specifically in regards to foot warmth and high exertion western hunting and if you feel it would be wise to stick with uninsulated. Anyone have a pair of insulated and uninsulated?

My gut is telling me to go uninsulated, but I've never owned Schnee's.

In the uninsulated ones my toes were friggin miserable freezing while sitting still glassing for long periods of time during the one weekend we got down to single digit temps up high.

Otherwise, they’ve been fine for the rest of the season. Even kind of sweaty on bigger mileage days in fairer weather.

I also own some older 400g insulated Danner Pronghorns. My tootsies really only overheat in those if its pretty warm out.

Then again, everyone’s feet are different. Anything anyone tells you here is going to be totally subjective. Your extremities generally run hot or cold?

I have both uninsulated and 200g’s. I don’t really notice a difference when using the insulated ones in September, but the uninsulated pair let the cold in a decent amount faster when I am glassing in the later months. I don’t think you can go wrong either way - I would likely make the choice based on what months the majority of your miles come in. If I bought another pair, I’d get another pair of 200s

I have the uninsulated and love them. Those long glassing sits in November can get pretty brutal though. I have had mine for four or five years now and was considering buying a second pair of insulated ones for the late season hunts. The thickest winter socks I own don’t keep my toes warm when it’s in the teens.

Not sure that will help you at all but I like the boots and will be running both next year most likely

I think I’m gonna likely stick with uninsulated.

These junky boots have gotten me through for seven seasons and they ain’t warm. From 0-5 degrees in wyoming and 0-5 degrees in colorado last year I got by… but admittedly wasn’t glassing much

I think my hunting tends to trend majority above 20-25 degrees. But it seems every season I’m out there in the teens and single digits at least once; I always tend to not sit put for long in those conditions and that probably wouldn’t change insulated or not.

I guess I’ve just always figured cold toes were an inevitability while glassing and I’d rather that than constantly having sweaty feet.

Appreciate the thoughts so far and welcome more.

Would things like these work over the uninsulated to keep your feet warm when glasing? Says they are packable and fit in a pocket. Several other brands on backcountry’s website too.

I’ve never had a reason to try them. I’m either hiking all day or sitting all day so my boots vary. No glassing going on in the whitetail woods in PA during cold weather and I only wear uninsulated out west in September. I was just looking at an alternative option to having more than 1 pair of boots.

Would things like these work over the uninsulated to keep your feet warm when glasing? Says they are packable and fit in a pocket. Several other brands on backcountry’s website too.

I’ve never had a reason to try them. I’m either hiking all day or sitting all day so my boots vary. No glassing going on in the whitetail woods in PA during cold weather and I only wear uninsulated out west in September. I was just looking at an alternative option to having more than 1 pair of boots.
I have these; I haven’t used them a ton because they’re kind of bulky. Definitely don’t go into a pocket and it’s not easy squeezing your boots in there, especially if your hands are cold and you don’t have a lot of dexterity. They work better if you put them on before your feet/boots get cold. For me, that requires lots of walking beforehand, which these aren’t for that. Otherwise, they don’t do a whole lot if your boots/toes are already near frozen, at least in my experience.

I have the Schnees Beartooths 0G. I’m a die hard Schnees’ fan with cold feet. With liners and merino wool socks, I can stay ok comfortable in these in teens (moving constantly) up to 30s (sitting). If it’s colder than the teens I break out my Pac boots. The Beartooths do get a little warm in the summer but otherwise are generally perfect for fall. Outside of warmth, they aren’t too heavy, provide great ankle support, and the sole is stiff enough and sensitive enough it makes both sidehilling/delicate walking very doable.

One thing I have found lately are heated socks from Fieldsheer. I had my Pac boots on, but wore those and for the first time in my life, hunted in negative temperatures/snow and at 25% power, the batteries lasted all day and my feet never got cold. It was a life-altering, euphoric experience.

Last edited:
I have uninsulated beartooth I use for above freezing temps/early season. They are fine but I have never wished my feet were cooler. I always bias towards more insulation as hot feet never bother me but cold feet can affect the hunt.

Can't say because I sent them back without wearing outside the house.

Boot blankets work much better if you take the boots off.

I have ran a pair of uninsulated for the last two years. Below 20 they get cold fast. I have very cold feet and used battery operated socks to make it work around that temperature. Anything below that if I stop moving i freeze. Great boot in the mountains. Lots of top support with a stiffer sole. I have around 300 miles and no problem so far.

I bought a pair of uninsulated beartooths this summer when they were on sale. 25yrs in the military have really jacked my feet up and I have tried nearly every brand/boot/sock combo trying to find "the one". My first time wearing them outside was opening day of deer season. 21 deg that morning and hiked a total of 5.5 miles that day. They fit great and my feet stayed warm all day. The next week, as is common in TN, it was is the high 60s/70s. Put on 4+ miles that day of hunting. Feet didn't sweat like crazy as in most of my other boots. No major break-in was needed. So far I've put 13+ miles total in 3 day hunts. I'm very happy with them so far.
Over the years I've found that the way I tie my boots has a big impact on warmth. Too tight = cold feet. I leave the laces on the top of the foot loose and tie a surgeons knot over the ankle eyelets which keeps my heel locked in. When I get to a glassing spot or stand, I always loosen my laces a lot to provide the airspace needed for warm feet.

My toes freeze regardless of insulation so I went with uninsulated. They’re comfy, but I find my feet getting wet frequently.
Tried the Arctic Shield covers. They’re okay, better when you toss in a hand warmer. Need to get some OR or Exped down booties for glassing.
Next boots will be Crispi, Lowa, or White’s.

I dealt with single digits this year and never got cold when glassing. . I was torn between the 200 gram or non insulated when I bought my beartooths. Glad I went non insulated.

i have the insulated beartooths and the uninsulated timberlines. i like the timberlines better, not quite as stiff, but plenty stiff enough to use scrambling up steep shale IMO. Also, never pay full price for Schnee's they go on sale for 30% off about 15 times per year. oh and uninsulated is the way to go for sure.

I have a pair of schnees. New this year. I hunted a fair amount and the soles started to separate from boot just inside of my big toe on both boots.

Seems pretty unacceptable for a new pair of boots. I’ve had cheaper Lowas hold for longer so far.

I have Beartooths and Timberlines both uninsulated. If it's really cold I throw another pair of socks in my pack for glassing sessions. I found if I change socks once I get to glassing spot my feet don't get as cold. My feet sweat no matter the outside temp.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back