PEAX Equipment

Boot Issues…

Hammsolo

Here’s the deal. I’ve owned a pair of Lowa Renegades for two years. I’m a relatively large guy that is 6’5” and about 250.

Recently I did about 7 miles with about a 25 pound pack. The elevation gain was moderate and mostly shorts stints up and down about 100 feet. It is rocky cliffs terrain.

I’ve never had toe problems. My feet were killing me by the end, specifically in my big toes at the largest knuckle. My toes were numb the next day.

I went out yesterday and did about 6. It wasn’t as bad, but not good. I need to get set for spring bear.

Are my boots broke down? Probably… is it that they are too flexible? I did text and I can really bend them.

Seems like I need new boots. What should I get? Ask me questions to help.

Are you sure your feet aren’t just in ‘shape’? Meaning that you’ve been wearing the same shoes in the off season and need to get your feet readjusted for boots. I have the Salewa Rapace and my feet are sore after my first hike with them, just because they are very stiff. A few more hikes to get my feet right corrects that.

If it were me, I’d give it a few more hikes. If it doesn’t help, then I’d agree to buy a new pair.

I think of the boot as two portions, the sole and the boot body. In steep country you need a boot body that's stiff enough it doesn't flex away from the sole. The Renegades are a light hiker and when going downhill your weight will move the whole upper forward till your toes jamb the front of the toe box. Sidehill your foot can roll over the edge of the sole. Flat ground they're great. I haven't hunted steep country in years so my Hanwags stiff sit on the shelf.

Last edited:
During my guiding career I saw boots fail a lot of hunters. Poor fit first on the list, poor selection second. Not broken in probably third.
Near the top of the list was not getting your feet use to the boot again. Does read like your boots may simply be broken down and your brain is telling your toes to dig in and hang on.
Good luck bear hunting!

They fit well for a year, but then started giving me problems. They have hundreds of miles on them. I appreciate the information.

I’m headed into Northwest Montana and Hells Canyon in Oregon. I want to do all I can to prep for success.

Have you tried swinging by a place like Scheels and trying on all their boots in your size to get the best fit possible across all boots, and to compare stiffness of different boots to on another?

Did you break the boots in prior to your TKR? Think maybe after that, you're walking different and putting more weight on that foot than previously? Just a thought.

They fit well for a year, but then started giving me problems. They have hundreds of miles on them. I appreciate the information.

I’m headed into Northwest Montana and Hells Canyon in Oregon. I want to do all I can to prep for success.
Oh ok if you burned some leather on there then yeah it’s time to say goodbye

Have you tried swinging by a place like Scheels and trying on all their boots in your size to get the best fit possible across all boots, and to compare stiffness of different boots to on another?

I haven’t. I’m in Spokane, and been meaning to go somewhere. Just not sure of where here.

I've not had great luck with "light" hikers for longevity especially adding weight. Hundreds of miles might be time for a new pair.

One could argue that your feet aren't conditioned to the flex of shoe and your foot muscles are working harder which is why they hurt. You could dial the miles and weight back to "break your feet in" then work into more distance and weight.

Maybe consider looking at Scarpa either the Grand Dru Gtx or the Fuego. For me either of those performed better in the mountains and were durable than Kennetrek or Schnees. And, you also may save a $100. A guy your size may need a boot that is designed to pack loads. It will take a bit to get used to them.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Not a lot of great places to try on a variety of boots around Spokane. Hundreds of miles shouldn't put them at the point to be replaced. I'm sure have well over a thousand on my Kenetreks. Are you curling your toes when you walk on uneven or unstable ground? I can usually tell if the top of my toe is red, or is the pain in joint itself? I would just be guessing, but you might need a stiffer boot. Maybe your Lowa's got more flexible after you broke them in? Like I said, just guessing. Boots are very personal, but our bodies can change over time. Ankles, knees, feet problems all can change how we walk.

Snowing up there this weekend, Hells Canyon, but there is not much of a snow pack. I'm guessing the bears will be out early. That fire two years ago opened up some good country, could be a lot of fun.

Snowing up there this weekend, Hells Canyon, but there is not much of a snow pack. I'm guessing the bears will be out early. That fire two years ago opened up some good country, could be a lot of fun.
Stoked!

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Not a lot of great places to try on a variety of boots around Spokane. Hundreds of miles shouldn't put them at the point to be replaced. I'm sure have well over a thousand on my Kenetreks. Are you curling your toes when you walk on uneven or unstable ground? I can usually tell if the top of my toe is red, or is the pain in joint itself? I would just be guessing, but you might need a stiffer boot. Maybe your Lowa's got more flexible after you broke them in? Like I said, just guessing. Boots are very personal, but our bodies can change over time. Ankles, knees, feet problems all can change how we walk.

As a big boy with 4 knee surgeries in the last 3 years, boy do I know. It seems they’re bending easier.

I don’t think so on the toes, but I could be wrong.

As a big boy with big feet and bad knees I literally feel your pain.

I had similar issues with my Lowas and had to give up on them. I could never get my foot to lock in so I either had a heel that slipped, toes that jammed the front, or tied so tight I lost feeling in my feet.

That all being said, I think your boots are wore out. I’ve never had boots make it hundreds of miles.

I had a pair that over time as they got wet, stretched, then dried and contracted ended up totally changing on me about 1.5 in. Some of the stitching on the inside "buckled" or something and they simply didn't fit anymore. They were also the only all leather boots I've had in decades. I kept then and still wear them around the house, but they're definitely not comfortable enough for hunting/hiking.

Back