In the Market for New Arrows.

I am looking to keep it a little simpler this time. I want a decently heavy arrow to get good penetration and to keep the noise down. I am looking at just buying pre-fletched Easton 5mm FMJs and add their brass inserts. I am looking to switch to a cut on contact as well. Probably the Magnus Black Hornet 4-blade 125grn.

This is exactly what I'm shooting currently, but I have a fletching jig so I buy the shafts and and put on a 4-vane helical

Those Victorys have me intrigued. I shot the original VAPs and had issues with the outserts, but they penetrated like crazy. The SS layers seem like a good compromise and they are a heavy shaft. Thanks!
The only issue I have had is with the incert/outcert hybrid. I have shot through 2 targets and hit a tree. The arrow cracked at the junction of the outcrert point farthest from the tip.

I have shot 6 deer and 1 elk with the same arrow and now issues. So not sure why those 2 cracked at the outcert.

Day six is coming out with a 204 diameter arrow also if that’s something you’re interested in. I think they’re lighter gpi than the current 166 arrows they make

I want to find an off the shelf arrow, and have shot a bunch of different carbons over the years. The hard part is I wanted to find one where I am getting a higher grains per inch 11-12 if possible. That is what has me looking at the FMJs.

An axis with an ethics insert and collar will be hard to beat if you're wanting to get to 500 plus. Super tough and they're either be straight or broken. No worring about bent arrows

I am looking to keep it a little simpler this time.
Simplest would be a standard diameter (6.5mm/.245") shaft with a good old-fashioned one-piece flanged insert of whatever weight/material gets you closest to your desired total arrow weight.

Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, Victory VForce are all good standard diameter options of moderate gpi. Carbon Express D-Stroyer Piledriver and Carbon Tech Rhino are higher gpi (11+ at 300 spine) standard diameter options. If it were me, I would stick with a moderate gpi shaft and use a heavier insert/broadhead and/or weight screws to get to my desired TAW.

Last edited:
I shoot 5mm fmj and like them a lot
Also hope this isn't against a rule but found a guy on ebay and get custom dip painted and spun for a bit less then a regular dozen at sporting goods stores he sells all kinds

You want to keep it simple. Buy BEA Spartans, add 50 gains to the 22 SS inserts then call it a day…shoot what ever head you want and you’ll be fine. Can’t get simpler the that. The a durable and have the best stock inserts and nock collars around both being stainless steel

You want to keep it simple. Buy BEA Spartans, add 50 gains to the 22 SS inserts then call it a day…shoot what ever head you want and you’ll be fine. Can’t get simpler the that. The a durable and have the best stock inserts and nock collars around both being stainless steel
I am sticking to 6mm from now on! I have some of the new easton sonic 6's coming to play with and if they dont pan out i will likely be buying the spartans, lots of great reviews. Targeting a fullsized arrow around 510-520 in a 250 shaft, with a 150 broadhead i prefer pretty easy to get weight i want if i keep gpi down.

Been shooting Axis 5mm for years and never had an issue with the arrow shaft itself always have gotten great and consistent tuning. I buy bare shaft and fletch with aae hybrid 3 degree to right. I have for years used the deep six insert with a muzzy trocar. Last year i did the dumb thinking of "im going to make what works work even better" I wet to a heavier insert and 2 blade matched cut to my fletch. They flew fine but heavier they dropped very quickly pass 40yds. I had the worst performance of my hunting career with regards to blood trails. I honestly believe the 2 blade leaves a flap of skin that allows the wound to close easier than a three or four blade cut. Of three animals i shot the only one we found was the one that i hit the heart. This is after never loosing an animal that i hit in the body cavity prior too. It was almost enough to stop bow hunting. The only difference i made was my arrow setup. It was frustrating enough to swap my arrows back to finish the season but had no shot opportunities after that.

All this to say be careful what you mess with. If what you have works don't fall down the rabbit hole of having to make it better, or so and so says i need heavier up front or heavier overall.

Following this one...the Black Eagle X-Impact arrows I'm shooting are on the edge of being underspined when I add extra weight up front. I'm switching to 150gr single bevels but I'm guessing in the end my arrow would be similar weight but 2 inches shorter.

So far Victory and Sirius brands are high on my list but my local shop with fletch for free if I buy through her so I may visit and see if the next heavier spine X-impacts is worthy. I say cut and fletch when ordering. Black Ovis might be your best bet especially if you can toss on a coupon code.

I shoot lighter arrows. 6mm 7.2gpi. Just ordered 2 dozen sonic 6.0 match as the Hexx is not available, should be a good mimic. My total arrow & broadhead weight is 345 grains.

Gold Tip Pro Hunters for me. The value of fetching my own arrows continues to increase every year. Highly suggest sticking to building your own, if time allows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back