In the Market for New Arrows.

MinnesotaHunter

So I am finally getting down to my last 7-8 arrows from a batch of 36 I bought 7-8 years ago. I really nerded out when I bought them, built them myself, and they were really nice and heavy and shot great. Gold Tip Kinetics, weighted inserts, 4 fletch, tipped with QAD Exodus 125grn.

I am looking to keep it a little simpler this time. I want a decently heavy arrow to get good penetration and to keep the noise down. I am looking at just buying pre-fletched Easton 5mm FMJs and add their brass inserts. I am looking to switch to a cut on contact as well. Probably the Magnus Black Hornet 4-blade 125grn.

I will be honest, in hindsight I feel like I was way overthinking it with my last arrows, but would be interested if anyone thinks I am missing something. I have never shot the FMJs before, but have heard nothing but good things.

i'm getting into using a bow for the first time and i'm very intentionally underthinking every step of the way.

@MinnesotaHunter I've been shooting FMJs for probably 7+ years now, couldn't imagine that you wouldn't like them. I always buy bare shaft though, can't speak to the pre-fletched. For my personal set up 3.5" - 4" fletch AAE is what I like, never have cared for pre-flecthed blazers. I shot Gold tip before switching to FMJs, both are great arrows, but of course different construction.

@MinnesotaHunter I've been shooting FMJs for probably 7+ years now, couldn't imagine that you wouldn't like them. I always buy bare shaft though, can't speak to the pre-fletched. For my personal set up 3.5" - 4" fletch AAE is what I like, never have cared for pre-flecthed blazers. I shot Gold tip before switching to FMJs, both are great arrows, but of course different construction.
Yup, love the full metal jackets too. Used to shoot the ACC's which these kind of replaced.

+1 on gold tip. I switched to those from the generic Cabelas brand when I did my first pronghorn hunt. Good quiet fast arrow.

Only thing I have heard negative about the FMJ's is they are able to and will bend. It was for those reasons I didn't buy them. My hunting partner shoots them. He buys 12 a year shoots 6 for practice than 6 new ones for hunting. Rotates the hunting arrows to practice and buys 6 new ones for hunting. He has had 1 bend in 5 years.

I went with the Victory SS, same concept as the FMJ except they are a carbon arrow wrapped with stainless. I get bare shaft and love them.

Only thing I have heard negative about the FMJ's is they are able to and will bend.

I have read that as well, it pretty much swayed me away and over to Maxima Reds. Can’t say they are the “best” but I would by them again.

Attachments

• 3E8E5995-2D7E-4C9E-8CC2-3FC350B16138.jpeg
    3E8E5995-2D7E-4C9E-8CC2-3FC350B16138.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
I have read that as well, it pretty much swayed me away and over to Maxima Reds. Can’t say they are the “best” but I would by them again.
That's what I used to shoot. Only reason I switched was shooting 3d the arrow would be extremely hard to pull out and would I assume melt the target. Ended up with rough spots from the foam on the arrow.

I've been shooting black eagles for 5 or 6 years now. Last 3 years have been rampages. Best shooting and toughest arrows I've ever shot. 300 spine. And as straight as I can get. Tune very easy for my setup. Shooting 3 fletch here and fixed blade magnus.

I started with FMJ’s originally, but moved away. Good arrows but when they go, they go. I’ve found full carbon arrows more forgiving and durable. I’ve had the same DaySix arrows for 3 years. Broke one in a deer, and broke another when I forgot to dial my site back down to starting (whoops.)

I'd skip the FMJs and go with a plain carbon arrow. Lots of good arrows out there now so I wouldn't over think it
I want to find an off the shelf arrow, and have shot a bunch of different carbons over the years. The hard part is I wanted to find one where I am getting a higher grains per inch 11-12 if possible. That is what has me looking at the FMJs.

Only thing I have heard negative about the FMJ's is they are able to and will bend. It was for those reasons I didn't buy them. My hunting partner shoots them. He buys 12 a year shoots 6 for practice than 6 new ones for hunting. Rotates the hunting arrows to practice and buys 6 new ones for hunting. He has had 1 bend in 5 years.

I went with the Victory SS, same concept as the FMJ except they are a carbon arrow wrapped with stainless. I get bare shaft and love them.

Those Victorys have me intrigued. I shot the original VAPs and had issues with the outserts, but they penetrated like crazy. The SS layers seem like a good compromise and they are a heavy shaft. Thanks!

I want to find an off the shelf arrow, and have shot a bunch of different carbons over the years. The hard part is I wanted to find one where I am getting a higher grains per inch 11-12 if possible. That is what has me looking at the FMJs.
What total arrow weight you wanting?

So I am finally getting down to my last 7-8 arrows from a batch of 36 I bought 7-8 years ago. I really nerded out when I bought them, built them myself, and they were really nice and heavy and shot great. Gold Tip Kinetics, weighted inserts, 4 fletch, tipped with QAD Exodus 125grn.

I am looking to keep it a little simpler this time. I want a decently heavy arrow to get good penetration and to keep the noise down. I am looking at just buying pre-fletched Easton 5mm FMJs and add their brass inserts. I am looking to switch to a cut on contact as well. Probably the Magnus Black Hornet 4-blade 125grn.

I will be honest, in hindsight I feel like I was way overthinking it with my last arrows, but would be interested if anyone thinks I am missing something. I have never shot the FMJs before, but have heard nothing but good things.
My buddy shot a deer with a magnus black hornet this year. Absolutely bled him out. Blood every where if you want me to be honest. Ran 40 yards and tipped over.

Back