Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The Almost Death of Randy Newberg | FTW (Ep. 32)

bucdoego

Prayers for a swift and completely successful recovery for Randy.

For any interested parties, Randy gives a good primer on the perils of attending an out-of-town trade show. Proof that travel is NOT glamorous all the time. He also runs into some very nice and helpful people in the process. I've spend a good deal of my work-life traveling and away from home, so I've learned a few lessons along the way - meaning that, I identified with some of Randy's experience. I might suggest:

1. Do NOT eat more of anything when the first portion doesn't "sit well" (I've done it - never good).
2. Don't go to that restaurant again (keep a sample for the health department, if you suspect the food).
3. When you feel light-headed, get off your feet (to your knees or seat), especially if alone - DO IT NOW.
4. You expend a lot of energy when you "explosively vomit" (my words). If you've never experienced it, you won't be prepared for it.
5. Compliment and tip the hotel staff well when they treat you like they did Randy!

Never a good thing seeing a Hunt Talker injured, let alone you Randy, and in such an unexpected way. Wow what a story (and close call too). Good luck with the surgery and rehab. Back at it in no time!

And not that you are obligated to share all your medical history all the time, but a followup when your arm is back to strength would be informative and inspiring to others going through similar stuff.

Finally - Have one of the fellas program your emergency contacts (side button!) or Siri on your Iphone!!!! Bloody touch screens still have some kinks for Apple to work out.

Dam your one tuff one Big Fin
no I dont need help just a uber ride n ill be fine
Glad your ok

I sincerely hope you can eat pizza again. I can't imagine a life without pizza. Turrrrible!

Here's the update as of today.

Surgery was able to reconnect two of the three severed tendons in my right arm. The muscles that were cut are still a work in progress. The one tendon not able to be reconnected can hopefully be overcome with PT, of which I'm in week three of doing.

The wrist and hand are immobilized for another month, at which time we will start PT on the wrist and affected fingers. I fully intend to be back in good form (as good as an aging CPA can be) by hunting season.

Thanks to all who have sent the kind thoughts.

Post-surgery look. I've been telling everyone it was a shark bite, so if you hear differing stories, go with the shark bite. And no, pizza is not yet on the menu.

IMG_2415.JPG

Ouch.
Tell em it wuz a Barr.
No?
MT walleye are mean?
NM chile is evil?
Warning on the DQ freeze during winter?
Slipped on the ice?

Pizza is the best you got so far.
Can't be linked to your age....

AI took over the snow blower?

Surgery was able to reconnect two of the three severed tendons in my right arm. The muscles that were cut are still a work in progress. The one tendon not able to be reconnected can hopefully be overcome with PT, of which I'm in week three of doing.

The wrist and hand are immobilized for another month, at which time we will start PT on the wrist and affected fingers. I fully intend to be back in good form (as good as an aging CPA can be) by hunting season.

Post-surgery look. I've been telling everyone it was a shark bite, so if you hear differing stories, go with the shark bite. And no, pizza is not yet on the menu.

View attachment 269477
Sorry to laugh at this, it’s so unfortunate and I’m very very glad you’re okay. It’s inspiring that you still have such a positive attitude and sense of humor! That’s a nasty gash man! Good luck with PT!
Hope you can be back in the field this fall. Stay safe!

View attachment 269477
Poor @Big Fin. Glad the surgery was mostly successful. Hope PT isn't too bad! You'll be good as new in no time.

Was wondering how it was coming along thanks for the update. Glad to hear your on the mend! Hopefully you draw all your tags this season and can go!

gruesome and tough ordeal to work through. greta to see recovery in process.

I cant understand how a hot/fresh pizza can be contaminated. Would think 700 degree cook would sanitize and make anything edible. Pizza is one of the last things would expect could get food poisoning from.

gruesome and tough ordeal to work through. greta to see recovery in process.

I cant understand how a hot/fresh pizza can be contaminated. Would think 700 degree cook would sanitize and make anything edible. Pizza is one of the last things would expect could get food poisoning from.
If the meat on the pizza is bad, you might kill the bacteria but it's their toxins that make you sick.

instead of a shark, tell ‘em you were attacked in an alley by a hard core pucky freak and the puckster got the worst of it.

I’m sorry to hear of your experience with one of Portland’s food trucks. Never have eaten at one. The only thing that makes me sick is Portland’s politics!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back