Caribou Gear

Treated lumber prices and shortages.

Project I'm doing. Built the dock at n 1992. 5/4 pt decking. Son in la bought the farm last summer and wanted to redo it. Joists we're like new,wow.
He bought 2x6x16 for the deck. Why didnt

Fat fingers. Post continued. They didn't have any 5/4x16.
He didn't buy enough do so I went back and got the stuff on the dock for 300.00. There's 2 -8x8 x 8 or in the pile . The original that's screwed down was 700.00 2 weeks ago.
The 3 boards on the on ramp were the sixty dollar load.
I'm glad I don't have any more projects this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_131329.jpg
    IMG_20200626_131329.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
That picture... Yep, time to go fiddle fart around the bass boat. Need to get that baby in the water.

Very relaxing picture! All due to some upkeep and repairs. looks like it's time for your family to start enjoying the summer on that dock. :)

Yep... Bass boat work has taken priority. While I admire your work on your dock, I got a bit sidetracked... Haha!

Screenshot_20200626-115400.png

Last edited:
I needed to build a trellis for my apple orchard this weekend. I needed 4X4 10 footers. I could not find locust so I used White oak. The Amish charged me 120.00 for 16 of them..... They should last pretty much as long as pressure treated pine. Locust is even better. If you have amish in your area I am sure they have a sawmill too. Locust is great for fence posts and any project where rot resistance is needed. White oak is just a step down. Red oak is no good.

Attachments

• 20200627_194808.jpg
    20200627_194808.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
2-2x8x12 and 1- 4x4x8 over 60 bucks at home depot. I had to make sure I wasn't in Valdez.
Needed them to finish a project or I would have walked.
I really wanted 2x10x16s but all out.
Thank goodness. I'd still be crying about the price.

you got screwed.

I have been at home depot 3 times in the last 5 days buying lumber. I thought it was a racket to pay $11/ea for 2 treated 4x4x8's. I didn't need treated since I'm just building shelves in my garage but that's all that was left.

I did find one hellova score in the 70% pile when I got there though.

I needed to build a trellis for my apple orchard this weekend. I needed 4X4 10 footers. I could not find locust so I used White oak. The Amish charged me 120.00 for 16 of them..... They should last pretty much as long as pressure treated pine. Locust is even better. If you have amish in your area I am sure they have a sawmill too. Locust is great for fence posts and any project where rot resistance is needed. White oak is just a step down. Red oak is no good.

My granddad had a grove of black locust behind his barn that his dad planted in the early 1900's specifically for fence posts, about the time American chestnut was going downhill. Those trees are still growing there today and still occasionally cut for fence posts. I remember my uncle using the claw of a hammer and scraping away the weathered outside half inch of wood on a black locust fence post, the wood underneath was just like iron. We estimated the post dated back to the 1920's. It is an incredible wood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back