PEAX Equipment

Treated lumber prices and shortages.

NEW PA MT MN

2-2x8x12 and 1- 4x4x8 over 60 bucks at home depot. I had to make sure I wasn't in Valdez.
Needed them to finish a project or I would have walked.
I really wanted 2x10x16s but all out.
Thank goodness. I'd still be crying about the price.

just bought 4 x 4 x 8' PT for $12.51 each, 2 x 8 x 12' PT for 16.61 each, and 2 x 8 x 16' PT for 22.14 each. Local yard in my town, and the racks were full.

i know what you mean. Since everyone is at home, we all seem to be doing home projects. Finished about 40 feet of fence between me and neighbor, and got sticker shock from the fence panels, 4x4's, and 2x4's.

I’m not sure about prices because I’m not the payer usually, just the purchaser....but I will say green lumber is shorter stocked than I’ve ever seen. Particularly 1x stuff has been hard to come by round here. Not sure if COVID has slowed down the treatment plants or what?

Well Covid has played a bit of a role in the lumber shortages. The US imports most of its softwood from Canada and we've cut our exports to the states by 25% over the last couple years over the trade disputes. Places in the Pacific Northwest just can't meet the demand fast enough. I hope this dispute will get resolved soon

Definitely seeing an impact...

Just in time for deck season too. If it gets much worse it’s going to be very tough for us builders.
I may even purchase material now for a deck that is booked for September

We were planning to stain our deck, realized during covid shutdown that many of the boards were rotten on the ends so waited until the lockdown was over and ended up springing for trex to retop it. Started removing the boards last weekend and discovered the joists are all rotted in at least one spot on each one. They didn’t use PT lumber so I figured just replace whole thing. 2x8x12 are just under $22 and 4x4x8 are $15 here, I don’t buy it regularly so have no idea what normal price is. Home Depot is only place I’ve seen around here that carries the non slitted PT lumber.

I have not bought anything since before 19.
But we have a smaller hometown lumber yard that will match or beat THD prices and will deliver it to my yard and carry it to my project...
Why would I NOT get it from them?

When we built 5 years ago, it was $90/ft. Now its $220/ft. That's how much building supplies have gone up. I have more equity than I know what to do with in my place, but I can't afford anything else around me. Between that and I can't find a truck on a lot to buy, having to wait 3 months for my new camper because of backlog, you would never know the economy is taking a hit.

Yep. Was a builder/carpenter most of my life. Even contractors discounts vanished 10 yr ago. Built a house in Malibu that cost less to build than anything I could come up with in NM,16yrs ago.
Building a barn over a single wide now & using lumber from local mill. Full size rough sawn. Great prices, some just will wind up fire wood due to warping.
Had to get 4 20' 2x12's from AZ lumber yard for collar ties,yikes! Cost more than a pile of 6x6's!
And they were white fir............geez. I started building when studs were kiln dried con-heart doug fir, from real lumber yards.............lol.
Glad I started collecting building material's a few year's ago. And none wound up coming from HD nor Lowes.
The final big $ thing will be roof panels. I found them from folks that make it,in stock,$10 less a panel than the Boxes.
I grew up in creosote & coppernol days too. Don't think I have gotten PT in years that I thought will last more than a few years.Even out of the ground.

Places in the Pacific Northwest just can't meet the demand fast enough.
*18,000 forest service timber ready acres tied up in enviro obstructed litigation in MT alone. That is one area stewardship programs would assist.

I couldn't find a PT 4x4 within 30 miles of me this morning. Small stores, big stores, they are all out.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back