Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Traeger Virgin

You are in for some good eating. My favorite recipe is super simple, but awesome. I take an elk/deer roast coat it in olive oil, salt, and pepper. I preheat the traeger with a cast iron skillet on the grate to max heat (mine will hit around 450). Once it is hot I sear all sides of the roast on the cast iron, and pull the roast once it is done searing. Then I reduce the heat to 350, once it stabilizes there I put the roast directly on the rack, with the temp probe in. I pull it when it hits about 130, and then wrap it in tinfoil to rest for about 15min in a small cooler. It gets to about 137-140 which is about where my crew likes it. Once it rests you can slice it as thick/thin as you like without loosing the juices. If you want you can make a sauce or gravy out of the scrapings left in the cast iron.

I throw the leftovers, and sometimes I will make a second, and put them right in the fridge for sandwiches the rest of the week.

Smoked hotwings are also a huge hit....man there is a bunch of great stuff to make in it....

Thanks MH. Anyone ever done antelope shoulder? mtmuley

Ive done deer shoulders. Leave them whole, rinse and dry, and either brine or dry brine them for 12-24 hours.

I use this Rub Recipe.

Smoke for 6-7 hours at 180-200. Wrap in foil, add 1/4 cup apple juice and finish at 225 for 6-7 hours.

I did an antelope shoulder. I had a thread on here but photobucket killed the photos-

Dont leave it on the smoke too long, as it's easy to dry out. I'd give it a good run of smoke then wrap it or throw it in a roast pan and slow cook it.

You're going to love that Traeger. They're a game changer.

Good stuff guys. Thanks and keep it coming. I do have some whitetails available for eating on my property. Hopefully give this thing a workout. Bet a whole chicken would be good too. mtmuley

I just got one 2 months ago. Absolutely love it! My favorite so far is spare ribs and tri tip. I have had 2 whole chickens on it and they were really good. There is some great stuff on YouTube aswell.

Just got one. Looking forward to learning the ins and outs. Post up favorite recipes. We need a Traeger thread anyway. Thanks, mtmuley
You should have saved your money and bought a camp chef or a blazzin grillworks. Traeger is a flimsy overpriced piece of sh!t.

Mine is 8 years old, is kept under a roof, used 200 days per year, the lid is being held on by 1 screw in 1 hinge, the other is completely broken, and when they weren’t broken I had to tighten the hinge screws every single time I used it.. the construction is absolute crap. Electronically it works fine. But the temperatures fluctuate 25 degrees which for an 800$ grill is a little pathetic. It won’t hold a temperature over 410 degrees which I really need 450 for wild game steak. I’ve made lots of great food with it. But 800$ for a grill should last me longer than 8 years, and should function better. The camp chef version is half the price, works the same, and has a way better hinge design. But I’m going blazzin grillworks. -holds the temperature to within +or- 2º.

I have used mine for many many hamburgers. It's a little slower than a traditional BBQ, but it does add a little smoke flavor that IMO is a big plus.

How does one work for hamburgers? mtmuley

My absolute favorite thing on mine are burgers. Elk or beef.

Turn it all the way to hot. Make nice good size patties, be sure to shape them perfectly. Makes a difference. Season however. Let them rest on the counter for 30 minutes or so.

Exactly 5 or 5.5 minutes per side.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back