Traeger Virgin

Alright I’ll bite.

Ribs: season ribs with whatever you like. Typically I do a pork rub and an applewood rub. Turn Traeger on “smoke” and place ribs on grate for 90 minutes.

Pull ribs off and turn Traeger up to 180.

Place ribs in large piece of tinfoil.
Add two capfuls of apple cider vinegar. One tablespoon of soy sauce.
Cover the ribs in a light glaze of siracha. Then add a heavy layer of brown sugar over the siracha. Place half a stick of butter inside the tinfoil and close the top of the tinfoil LOOSELY.

Cook for 5 hours on 180. Pull the ribs out and turn grill up to “high” and coat ribs in favorite bbq sauce and finish them for 5 minutes.

Much appreciated guys. Been busy elk hunting and will try to fire it up this week. mtmuley

Sheesh! Traeger needs to send you a free cookbook! Who knows how many Hunt Talk members are considering the purchase of a Traeger!

Heck! My mouth is watering reading some of these cook recipes!

The recipes on the Traeger website I have tried have been from good to REALLY good. Doing burgers is awesome because you can get smoke and never have to worry about flare up. You can cook a good pizza on there to. I have done a antelope loin that turned our great as well....just salt, pepper, and garlic powder and let the meat talk. I use mine the most for pork butts and brisket and having the electronic thermostat is awesome. Did a whole rib roast last Christmas that got rave reviews. Oak for beef and antelope, hickory for pork. BTW, had mine just over ten years and the one problem I had (control panel) they were great with service.

PS I would suggest getting some self adhesive grill gasket for a better seal around the lid and the welding blanket if you are going in cold temps :)

Attachments

• 20181225_191354.jpg
    20181225_191354.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 7
  • GEDC1137.JPG
    GEDC1137.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 7
For ribs, I prefer St. Louis style ribs. Use this Rub.

I set the Traeger at 225 with a tube of pellets. I leave them for about five hours, then hit with sauce twice in the last 30-40 minutes.

you guys are not making my decision easy; I've been eyeing up sales on pit boss; camp chef; and green mountain pellets, just cant figure out which one yet...

you guys are not making my decision easy; I've been eyeing up sales on pit boss; camp chef; and green mountain pellets, just cant figure out which one yet...

I like my brothers pit boss better than my traeger. That’s the route I’d go, had I not gotten mine for Christmas. It sears better, gets hotter and is cheaper.

Tri tip also gets a vote, probably the easiest thing to do on a traeger yet incredible.

wyoboypt, asked for recipes, go somewhere else. Thanks to the rest of you guys. mtmuley
don't know why you quoted me on this one.

Also, the neighbors use seasonings from hardcore carnivore which I got to try yesterday after making a pineapple chicken on their traegar.

I think that with any of the pellet setups you will be happy. Look at features and $$ that are right for you :)

Make sure you get a thermometer with a digital readout that you can use without opening and closing the lid all the time, makes it much easier to hit target temps and do so without letting out the heat...

also traeger has great app that has all kinds of recipes on it. i enjoy taking a whole piece of back strap and season the outside. let it smoke on the smoke setting for an hour or so. take it off and turn the heat up as high as it will go and then finish it. slice it up family loves it.

Make sure you get a thermometer with a digital readout that you can use without opening and closing the lid all the time, makes it much easier to hit target temps and do so without letting out the heat...

My Traeger has two probes that give readouts without opening the lid.

Well thanks to Gander Outdoors closing sale and great corporate customer service, I joined the Traeger family today. I picked up a Pro22 for a absolute steal. 30% off and a bonus of $65 dollar gift card because of a retail price discrepancy. As a bonus buy, I also got the front shelf for 50% off.

Now I just need to get some pellets. Where is the best place on line to get them from?

Well thanks to Gander Outdoors closing sale and great corporate customer service, I joined the Traeger family today. I picked up a Pro22 for a absolute steal. 30% off and a bonus of $65 dollar gift card because of a retail price discrepancy. As a bonus buy, I also got the front shelf for 50% off.

Now I just need to get some pellets. Where is the best place on line to get them from?

My local Ace Hardware has a great price on them.

This thread made me fire up the traeger the other day. Tri tip's are great because the ends are medium for those people while you can still do your middle medium rare.

Season it pretty heavily however you want. Let it rest on the counter for 1-2 hours (very important).

Set the traeger to 425 ish (which is the hot setting on mine). About 30-40 minutes, I flipped it once halfway through.

I pulled it out the second the internal temp hit 119. Usually I pull it at 115. Make a tin foil tent over it and let it rest for 10 minutes. Finishes
around a perfect 130 +/-. Easy to adjust your preferred done-ness. I haven't experimented with the fancy searing or reverse searing. I'm
curious about that.

tri tip 1.jpgtri tip.jpg

Back