"Tracking gun sales"

How dare corporations try to positively contribute to helping solve gun violence because politicians won’t.
Also, I am not sure there is much evidence for violent felons buying guns in large retailers and using their visa cards. This does nothing to reduce violence - it is performative prayer to the newest religion.

Had a dad and couple young girls stop by my house last night trying to raise money (don't go there).

I ordered a couple boxes of chocolates. They said they could take my money.

Even at my house I couldn't find a check book and didn't have any cash.

Now I need to hit a cash machine in the next couple weeks so I can help support their school supplies. Thought I was already doing this and it wasn't as much work.
Our local Girl Scout troop takes Venmo 🤷‍♂️

Credit card sales more and more provide item level detail by general category code. The theory is it helps the store and the consumer to know that $124 was spent on "food" and $75 on "electronics" when a person charges at a Target for example. This started as a money management and marketing "feature", but some banks are talking about forcing vendors to include "firearms" and "ammunition" as categories and then refusing payment on those. Hasn't happened yet but soon enough someone will try it.

It is the unsuprising reaction to Heller. If guns can't be banned outright then they will be encumbered by so many strings and inconvieniences that many people and companies will just opt out "voluntarily". Just look at the hundreds and hundreds of Roe-era "administrative" lawys each making abortions just a bit harder to access. This is the nature of modern politics - all out war on a few sacred cows.
We're going to keep seeing an avalanche of nutty gun-related laws and actions designed to make it more difficult to have guns. NY has been ground zero in recent years, but it's going to happen elsewhere, too. I bought some .22 ammo at Runnings the other day. I now have to have the clerk pull the ammo off a locked shelf for me, show my ID to the clerk at the gun counter so they can record the info, then they lock the ammo in a box and hand me the box to take up to the register in the front, where they unlock the box for me. If NY's newer gun law is upheld, I may need to start locking any gun that is in my car inside a case and then being careful about where I park if I need to stop by the store, pick a kid up, etc. on the way home from hunting. Not sure yet whether I'd be breaking the law if I had a second gun in the car and left it there at a trailhead, while I was out hunting with the other gun. The world is not going to just stop trying to reduce gun violence because they hit a brick wall with SCOTUS. In the end, I think we're going to wish we'd compromised more, but I'm aware that millions of gun owners don't agree...

Also, I am not sure there is much evidence for violent felons buying guns in large retailers and using their visa cards. This does nothing to reduce violence - it is performative prayer to the newest religion.
Completely agree. But you can't fault them for doing something. Sure, it is more virtue signaling than anything, but the blame falls with politicians not trying to come to meaningful changes. It sickens me to read after every shooting "police were previously aware...".

I reject any end around on any Constitutional Right by strong arming corporations into compliance with "rules" that fail the democratic process.
Everything is an "end around" too, or at least a massaging of the Constitution because we can't have discussions based on logic and data. It is a living document. The signers would be shocked that they couldn't use their Discover card to buy slaves.

Exactly the card company isn't gonna know the difference between a dozen night crawlers or ammunition unless, they can in someway break down the actual purchased items of which I've never seen. (I work in this stuff daily) On top of that financial institution transactions are covered by the Banking Secrecy Act which is pretty stringent rules that they must adhere to in regards to releasing any information. Gov't agencies must also follow those rules as well. Most all of this information is what is called 6e information on top of that which is highly guarded grand jury information.
I worked the gun counter at a sporting good store. Card purchases were listed under certain categories. A lot fo the got put into the misc or clothing for the
casrd statement. Mostly to hide from the wives. But asnyone looking at the purchase from the card co side can see what you listed it under

Funny - I know a lawyer at a big bank and there is real pressure to cut guns and ammo out of the modern banking system and leave it to cash only. How about mail order "morning after pills"? No problem, just use cash. Do you honestly think a category of "female reproductive medications" tracked by VISA and not honored by some banks would be met with only faux outrage?

I do support a range of Heller consistent gun regulations. I do not support major corporations effecting pseudo regulations where the courts and congresses fail.
who is applying this pressure?

Anyone else have to fill out a form with your occupation and what you intend on doing with the gun or is this an illinois thing?

We're going to keep seeing an avalanche of nutty gun-related laws and actions designed to make it more difficult to have guns. NY has been ground zero in recent years, but it's going to happen elsewhere, too. I bought some .22 ammo at Runnings the other day. I now have to have the clerk pull the ammo off a locked shelf for me, show my ID to the clerk at the gun counter so they can record the info, then they lock the ammo in a box and hand me the box to take up to the register in the front, where they unlock the box for me. If NY's newer gun law is upheld, I may need to start locking any gun that is in my car inside a case and then being careful about where I park if I need to stop by the store, pick a kid up, etc. on the way home from hunting. Not sure yet whether I'd be breaking the law if I had a second gun in the car and left it there at a trailhead, while I was out hunting with the other gun. The world is not going to just stop trying to reduce gun violence because they hit a brick wall with SCOTUS. In the end, I think we're going to wish we'd compromised more, but I'm aware that millions of gun owners don't agree...
I don't live in NY but it would not surprise if the regulations mentioned were not sold under the guise of "common sense and compromise". I am not sure how much more I am willing to compromise.

I reject any end around on any Constitutional Right by strong arming corporations into compliance with "rules" that fail the democratic process.
Here's another example on the opposite "side" (for those that like to pick sides). Very little outrage. I think we have become numb to all this BS.

Our local Girl Scout troop takes Venmo 🤷‍♂️
What a joke!

I felt sort of behind the times a couple weeks ago when I went out to dinner with some co-workers...they all started asking about this venmo crap when the bill came.

They started scanning each others phones, blah blah this and that.

I walked to the register with a Ulysses Grant, came back, they were still scanning this, yapping about that...

Its unbelievable...technology is a PITA sometimes.

It sure didn't seem to make anything "easier"...near as I could tell, while I finished off my ice tea waiting for them to complete all their venmo transactions.

What a joke!

I felt sort of behind the times a couple weeks ago when I went out to dinner with some co-workers...they all started asking about this venmo crap when the bill came.

They started scanning each others phones, blah blah this and that.

I walked to the register with a Ulysses Grant, came back, they were still scanning this, yapping about that...

Its unbelievable...technology is a PITA sometimes.
Tell them brats phones are for game cam pics.

I don't live in NY but it would not surprise if the regulations mentioned were not sold under the guise of "common sense and compromise". I am not sure how much more I am willing to compromise.
Oh, they weren't sold at all. They were "rammed through in the dead of night" as the gun lobby likes to say. But that's my point. People are not going to stop going after guns because there's a Supreme Court case that puts up major barriers. As long as 6 year olds are being gunned down in their classrooms, etc. folks are going to look for any way to go after what they see as the problem. And while I may not always agree with them, it's hard to blame them. I just wish it felt like we were all able to put our heads together to look at the very real problem. Aside from perhaps making a difference, it might lead to more thoughtful legislation.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back