Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

"Tracking gun sales"

Not that anybody needs another reason, but here is another reason why it is a travesty we cannot pay cash in parking lots for belt-fed machine guns from strangers we met on the Internet.
Funny, I re-watched that Breaking Bad episode last night where Walt pays the guy in cash in the diner bathroom, then goes out and opens the trunk to take a look at his new merchandise. Super illegal of course.

Between modern banking and a cell phone in every pocket we have essentially given up any ability to resist govt tracking of every moment of our lives. For now our govt isn’t using it that much, the Chinese are doing it a lot. Who knows what the future means for any of us. But the tools of the dystopian novels are fully at hand.

Regarding the original topic, I'll add the concept of incrementalism. Death by a thousand cuts. It doesn't seem like that important of an issue (to many - not to me).

Then you realize one day that we have created the federalized (or state/national) gun registration database that had long been illegal. If the feds had demanded that "every gun be registered" all at once and by a certain deadline, there would have been huge resistance.

Many won't resist because even a small inconvenience seems to much. I.E., the convenience of a cashless transaction versus cash (privacy/liberty/freedom). By doing it incrementally, some don't even realize what they have allowed (given up). They haven't realized the true cost.
You nailed it! Its the slow creep that will get you every time!

Nothing that isn't already being done IMO, financial institutions track everything already. Nothing but a bunch of feel good policy is all this is. The only way to stay off that radar is cash purchases. If you're using plastic it's tracked in every way imaginable. At the end of the day it's useless policy that still requires court issued search warrant subpoenas for this information to be released to gov't officials.
Even if that happens all you have is a date,time,location,purchase total, and a few other small items in the data received. It's not gonna say Jimmy Jon bought him a new rifle. Just some more news to get everyone's feathers ruffled a little more. I'm sure about the only thing this does is it enables the financial institutions to easily narrow down such a purchase if that subpoena shows up from a LEO agency after the fact that something happened.
Actually it pressures businesses not to sell guns. It’s not about personal information.

As far as the government’s knowledge of what you own, they probably know because you probably posted about what you have on some website like this one, and they have a warehouse in Utah full of hard drives logging such information. Luckily it’s just as mismanaged as all other government programs. Unfortunately, Google is not so incompetent and stores exponentially more data about you.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back