Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

To apply or not to apply... That is the question.

Huntin_GI

Ok, I recognize everyone on HuntTalk buys/applies for elk tags in every western state. I know I should start now... Reap the benefits later etc etc. I just can not bring myself to make the plunge into this rabbit hole that dominates the game.

My question to y'all is, should I really do it? Also, if you had to pick a state and where would you start?

With these questions in mind, understand I cannot afford to be out a few extra hundred $ a year on broke enlisted pay when all I get in return is an imaginary asset. I will not know which state I will end up in after europe for the foreseeable future or that would help me decide.

I imagine everyone has been at this position in the begininng and the whole process is a little over whelming.

Thanks for yalls input and I look forward to hearing what yall have to say. Also, if anyone has an extra Ziploc of homemade elk or deer jerky that they are worried night go bad, send it my way! This overseas no hunting shit is for the birds. Of I see my wife but one more gag of Jack links Imma lose it. Lol.

How do you feel about "Swan" jerky "
Got some of that, I don't know if it would pass through all the inspections to get to you

I like Wyoming. You can buy a point in the summertime without sending in the tag fee. $50 for elk.

Colorado is cool because of the OTC opportunities with archery and rifle elk you can do while still building points, plus you get points only fees refunded. There's also OTC archery opportunities for antelope. With elk and antelope and deer, playing OTC and draw and leftovers the right way, you can get a male and female of each species each year too.

You can hunt CO OTC and you can hunt MT on a general tag I think and you can put in for a tag in NM and ID with no point system.

I have points built up in WA, CA, AZ, UT, WY, and CO. IMHO it's not worth it. I am seriously considering letting all but a few go now that I live in CO. The hunts that are worth waiting for can take a long time and I can get more hunts here in CO every year than I have vacation time for. I think you are better of hunting OTC or easy to draw tags and spending a little money on horse rentals, drop camps, access through private, etc or something else to up your odds.

What would you like to hunt?

I agree with the posts so far. If you have a limited budget, I think WY is a very good state to get points in. Can buy deer, elk and antelope for $120. A general elk tag there is very good with only a few points and you can get a solid antelope tag as well for a few points. CO and MT are very good OTC options to hunt with no points.

DO IT! Apply and GO! Points this points that, buying points saving points, point creep and games are BS. BULL....so, Focus on a state to go to, that you want to see, and then DO IT!
Dont overlook places like Kentucky and that where they are bringing elk back and having draws.

Now. PM me your address brother - I am picking up 50lbs of goose slim jims from the processor, and my son can make up some elk jerky too to tide ya. I probably wont call a Senator or thank Trump, but I will certainly send you some goods sir!

God bless you and keep you safe, thanks for your service!

I wouldn't do it if you are going to move to a state with OTC tags along with the opportunity to draw a "premium" tag in said state. Time spent in a OTC unit can yield great hunting. It can often be better than showing up to a out of state unit for a week or two even if it is supposed to be "better". However if you have the time to learn the unit, have a good friend there or go guided your odds will go up considerably out of state.

I've got points in AZ and UT but am considering dropping out. Anymore the idea of driving two days to AZ and spending non resident tag fee's for possibly a little more antler sounds less appealing. I don't need to impress anybody and the longer I buy points or apply it feels like I'm imposing a stupidity tax on myself.

Please help me!!!

I am also going through the same mental struggle on whether to start building points or not. One question I cannot seem to find a straight answer to is whether or not your points stay with you if you move to another state. For example, right now I am finishing up college in Oregon, where I have lived my whole life. I have points built up for all species here, but I am planning on moving to either Montana or Colorado after I graduate in a couple years. So I have two questions for you guys:

First, what happens to my resident points in Oregon if I move to another state? Do I lose them or do they become nonresident points?

Second, what happens if I build up points in Montana as a nonresident, and then I move there in a couple years? Do those points then become resident points?

I have asked people about this but no one can give me a straight answer! PLEASE HELP!!!
Also, which states can you buy a bonus point only without them charging your credit card for the whole tag fee? I know it gets refunded if you don't draw, but I can't really spend that much on my card right now. I don't mind paying the nonrefundable license fee plus application fees. Thats a lot easier for me right now than paying $900 upfront for the tag fee. This is probably all basic stuff for a lot of you so hopefully you can help me out.

Thanks in advance!!!

Buy an Elk and Antelope point in WY, Deer if you like them. Cost: $80 or $120 with Deer.

done

Jeremiah:
call or email Deanna at ODFW (I would call)

[email protected]
503-947-6112

Last edited:
Wyoming is the easiest to get done. If nothing else just do deer and/or pronghorn. Like others said the otc tags in Montana and Colorado can take care of your elk fix.

If your in the service still and not sure of schedule,I'd wait on settling in for duration.
Go with a simple NR draw or OTC 1st.
Unless you have $ to burn collecting points.

NM I believe gives refunds to Troops that draw but can't hunt due to deployment conflicts.

CO always has NR OTC tags. MT used to . So did OR along time ago,well most did.

I used to hunt 6 states,but only hunt here in NM now.

Burnt/ used or gave up the points 6 yrs ago.
UT alone was costing me $165 a year to keep points that might have gotten me a average tag.
8 pts 6 yrs ago would get me a General deer tag maybe,forget my Henry's/Books dreams.

1 short of max points kept me hopeng for a cow elk in CA for 12 yrs,NOT,so I bought a LO tag before I left and filled my urge for a local La PanzaTule hunt.
My avatar trophy and one of the toughest elk hunts I ever had.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it if you are going to move to a state with OTC tags along with the opportunity to draw a "premium" tag in said state. Time spent in a OTC unit can yield great hunting. It can often be better than showing up to a out of state unit for a week or two even if it is supposed to be "better". However if you have the time to learn the unit, have a good friend there or go guided your odds will go up considerably out of state.

I've got points in AZ and UT but am considering dropping out. Anymore the idea of driving two days to AZ and spending non resident tag fee's for possibly a little more antler sounds less appealing. I don't need to impress anybody and the longer I buy points or apply it feels like I'm imposing a stupidity tax on myself.

I agree...Wyoming is probably as far as I'll go for buying points. I guess if you have the coin to just keep dumping into it, then go for it. Or if your in a state where hunting is good...save your money and go buy a second tag and support your own state. These other states are really hauling in the bucks from people with deep pockets and big heads. I bet if we cut them off, they would change their plan.

I think you should first determine what your end goals are, if they are just to hunt elk, deer, antelope and not worry about trophies then I would not buy any points as you can get otc/left over tags from a handful of states for those 3 species. If you have a desire to get into trophy quality animals then you will need to buy the points. For some states/units buying points doesn't always mean trophy animals but you do get less crowds and more public land accessibility. Or if you can buy every other year I think some states as long as you buy once every 2 years you will not lose your points, someone may be able to clarify that though. You can also do the otc/left over hunts and go with NM and ID for your chance at trophy hunts since they do not use points and are random as other have stated.

There are plenty of options where you can hunt bull elk every year, so it really depends on your goals. If you want to hang a 330+ bull in your house some day, then I would say yes you should probably start buying points where you can, WY is a good place to start as with 5-6 points you can get your hands on a pretty sweet elk tag. If you are looking at NV, AZ, UT, you could be in for some really long waits.

If you just want to hunt elk I wouldn't sweat it, you've got CO, ID, MT where you can chase bulls every year. I personally think that how hard you hunt has more to do with your chances of shooting a nice bull, than just drawing a good tag.

Jeremiah Johnson: Not sure if you have gotten the answer to this question by now or not but. Your points stay with you when you move your status just changes. I moved from CO to MT in 2011 I had 3 deer points when I applied in 2012 as a non resident in CO for the same unit I didn't draw and then had 4 deer points. I have since moved back to CO from MT and all my MT points are still there and so are my CO points. Hope that helps.

I'd save the $500 or so that you'll spend accumulating points over the next few years and spend the $'s on an OTC hunt. I live in Idaho and the OTC opportunities for deer and elk here far exceed the time I have available to hunt.

I am also going through the same mental struggle on whether to start building points or not. One question I cannot seem to find a straight answer to is whether or not your points stay with you if you move to another state. For example, right now I am finishing up college in Oregon, where I have lived my whole life. I have points built up for all species here, but I am planning on moving to either Montana or Colorado after I graduate in a couple years. So I have two questions for you guys:

First, what happens to my resident points in Oregon if I move to another state? Do I lose them or do they become nonresident points?

Second, what happens if I build up points in Montana as a nonresident, and then I move there in a couple years? Do those points then become resident points?

I have asked people about this but no one can give me a straight answer! PLEASE HELP!!!
Also, which states can you buy a bonus point only without them charging your credit card for the whole tag fee? I know it gets refunded if you don't draw, but I can't really spend that much on my card right now. I don't mind paying the nonrefundable license fee plus application fees. Thats a lot easier for me right now than paying $900 upfront for the tag fee. This is probably all basic stuff for a lot of you so hopefully you can help me out.

Thanks in advance!!!

My Oregon resident points became non-resident points when moved a decade ago.

Something to remember......some states allow for a "lifetime" hunting license. In Kansas it costs about what 20 years of paying individual license fees would cost (presuming the costs of licenses do not go up). I believe then that Kansas will treat you as a "resident" hunter for the rest of your life......even if you move out of state. Perhaps other states will do this as well.

Back