To apply or not to apply... That is the question.

If you archery hunt then you have better odds in states that have archery only tags. Generally, the more primitive the weapon then the less the demand for the tags.

NM and ID do not award points so you are in as good as shape as any other NR when you apply. You may not be in very good shape but are as in good a shape.

As it stands now, you can buy OTC elk tags in CO each year and landowner elk and deer tags.

MT has had combo tags for deer and elk leftover after the main draw and these are available for purchase, first come first serve. I think they sell out now prior to the season starting.

You can buy NM landowner elk tags each year.

You can buy NV landowner deer tags each year.

You can buy certain tags each year in UT and are similar to landowner tags.

All the above does not require you to get into the points game or "racket" which it is.

For value, I would build pronghorn points in WY. No need to buy a hunting license and the pronghorn point is relatively inexpensive. You can draw a WY pronghorn tag in a good unit with a couple of years of points. An average pronghorn buck's horns are 70% of the mass and height of most state's better bucks so even an average buck will look good as a Euro or on the wall. A 280 elk looks nothing like a 350 elk yet a 65" pronghorn looks good, to me.

Point creep in AZ, CO, NV, UT, OR, WY, MT (two stage application to get LE tag) makes chance at a really top unit tag remote or something you might get ever 20 years or so. You might get lucky and pull a nice tag every 5 years or so from one of those states if go all in on those states. Going all in will run $900 to $1700 if you put in for all species due to needing to buy a license to apply in some and then point fees, habitat licenses, conservation fees etc. If you are happy with a 140" mule deer or 260" elk on hunts with lots of other hunters and 25% harvest rates or cow elk tags are on your bucket list then you can draw more tags. If you are looking to have hunts where are few hunters and high success rates maybe you pull a tag once a decade using the above point strategy.

Colorado has been good to me as a NR so I would suggest that as the state after WY to build points. Nothing rational about CO, just has been a lucky rabbit foot.

Something to remember......some states allow for a "lifetime" hunting license. In Kansas it costs about what 20 years of paying individual license fees would cost (presuming the costs of licenses do not go up). I believe then that Kansas will treat you as a "resident" hunter for the rest of your life......even if you move out of state. Perhaps other states will do this as well.

AZ is similar. You are part of the resident draw (90% of tags) then if drawn you pay the NR cost.

First off thank you guys for all that insight. I think $50 a year for a few years for the opportunity at a quality elk is very reasonable. That being said, I have to admit, hunting as a resident in one of those states and with so many states offering OTC tags, it becomes hard to justify adding more than a single state to my point building strategy.

If I took the money I would spend on points and dumped that into consistent OTC hunts, I feel like my skill sets (especially considering the way I hunt) will carry me to a trophy animal as quickly as just being in the "BEST" region.

Don't get me wrong, if I were in a position to spend the cash wasn't so far behind the power curve when it comes to point creep it may be more appealing. Corey Jacobson (recently featured on Randy Newberg Unfiltered) do an incredibly interesting piece point creep and its effect of hunters late to the party in the Back Country podcast.https://soundcloud.com/huntbackcountry/012-everything-elk-with-corey-jacobsen-of-elk101com Check out the 32 minute mark if you would like to check it out.

Are you getting out when you come home? If not, Have you considered PCSing Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks? You can hunt elk when you are older, but the chance to hunt AK as a resident is fleeting. You just have to convince the wife, and if Fairbanks is a little too rustic, Richardson is in Anchorage, and you could still get up in to the backcountry easy enough.

I have several buddies that have done this, and they had a blast up there.

Are you getting out when you come home? If not, Have you considered PCSing Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks? You can hunt elk when you are older, but the chance to hunt AK as a resident is fleeting. You just have to convince the wife, and if Fairbanks is a little too rustic, Richardson is in Anchorage, and you could still get up in to the backcountry easy enough.

I forgot to mention. Your unit will be filled with guys and gals, a lot of whom chose that post for the same reason you are, so you will have a crew of instant hunting buddies to help show you the ropes. Get after those white sheep, goats, brown bears and moose.....

Cost for points only in all species.

Arizona $235 ($160 license, $15 Elk, $15 Deer, $15 Pronghorn, $15 Sheep, $15 Bison)

Colorado $250 (* Tag Fees Fronted* $10 Habitat, $40 Deer, $40 Elk, $40 Pronghorn, $40 Moose, $40 Sheep, $40 Goat)

Montana $490 (Conservation Stamp $10, **Tag fees fronted for deer/elk** Deer $70, Elk $70, Pronghorn $70, Moose $70, Goat $70, Sheep $70, Bison $70)

Nevada $199 (License $142, Deer $10, Elk $15, Pronghorn $10, Both Sheep $20)

Oregon $201 (License $161, Deer $8, Elk $8, Pronghorn $8, Sheep $8, Goat $8)

Utah $155 (License $65, General Deer $10, LE Deer $10, LE Elk $10, Pronghorn $10, Both Sheep $20, Bison $10, Goat $10, Moose $10)

Wyoming $295 (Elk $50, Deer $40, Pronghorn $30, Moose $75, Sheep $100)

It depends on what you are looking for as far as hunting opportunities, most of these states will give you a chance to hunt some species while building points for a Limited Quota/Limited Entry

Arizona - Coues Deer hunts can be had outside of the rut on a regular basis.

Colorado - OTC Elk can be had on a regular basis

Montana - OTC Elk/Deer can be had on a regular basis

Nevada - Mule Deer hunts out of the rut can be drawn every so often.

Oregon - Blacktail and Roosevelt Elk hunts can be had on a regular basis

Utah - General Deer can be had every 2-3 years on a regular basis.

Wyoming - Pronghorn/Deer/Elk can be drawn every so often on lower demand units.

Keep in mind what species that you want to target when selecting a state. Decide whether you want to wait for trophy quality or if you want to hunt more often.

Elk tags in units with Limited Quotas during the rut will be in high demand regardless of the weapon type if the unit has trophy quality and easy access. Elk tags in the same unit later in the season will be in less demand and can be drawn sooner.

Deer tags like the Henry Mountains or the Arizona Strip are a pipe dream, because of the limited quantity and quality of the animals. Deer Tags in Nevada, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming could potentially get you a nice buck with a potential of a trophy.

Pronghorn Tags outside of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado (arch), Idaho (arch) are tough to obtain.

Sheep, Goat, & Moose tags if you do not live in the state that you are applying are a pipe dream at best. It would be cheaper to save and do an Alaska hunt, than to apply for twenty or so years.

Bison tags are hard to come by in Utah and Arizona. Wyoming and Alaska who have lottery drawings for them will be easier to draw.

There are really three tiers as far as states to live in for big game hunting in the west.

Tier 1 - Alaska

Tier 2 - Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming

Tier 3 - Arizona, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington

I like being able to shoot an antelope buck every year with archery while gaining points :D Muzzleloader antelope buck tags can be done about every 2 or 3 years depending on the unit, 4or 5 for rifle, but does every year as a B tag, so you can get 2 of them. Elk you can do OTC archery or bulls with a rifle every year while gaining points, plus a cow tag every year. If you don't mind hunting whitetails, you can get one every year out my way, plus a doe. Mule deer can be done every other year or so with archery and some decent units every 2-3 with a rifle. There are also a lot of leftover opportunities in lesser quality units, but it can be done. So, I love Colorado and it's hunting opportunities. I also like the antelope hunting in Wyoming with the reasonable NR price for a buck tag and being able to get 4 doe tags for $46 a piece. I'm looking into hunting Montana in the near future as well. But, I can get everything I want right here in Colorado :D

Last edited:

Being AF the Alaskan spots are free and far between. Not much a need for air traffic controllers up that way.

Cost for points only in all species.

Arizona $235 ($160 license, $15 Elk, $15 Deer, $15 Pronghorn, $15 Sheep, $15 Bison)

Colorado $250 (* Tag Fees Fronted* $10 Habitat, $40 Deer, $40 Elk, $40 Pronghorn, $40 Moose, $40 Sheep, $40 Goat)

Montana $490 (Conservation Stamp $10, **Tag fees fronted for deer/elk** Deer $70, Elk $70, Pronghorn $70, Moose $70, Goat $70, Sheep $70, Bison $70)

Nevada $199 (License $142, Deer $10, Elk $15, Pronghorn $10, Both Sheep $20)

Oregon $201 (License $161, Deer $8, Elk $8, Pronghorn $8, Sheep $8, Goat $8)

Utah $155 (License $65, General Deer $10, LE Deer $10, LE Elk $10, Pronghorn $10, Both Sheep $20, Bison $10, Goat $10, Moose $10)

Wyoming $295 (Elk $50, Deer $40, Pronghorn $30, Moose $75, Sheep $100)

It depends on what you are looking for as far as hunting opportunities, most of these states will give you a chance to hunt some species while building points for a Limited Quota/Limited Entry

Arizona - Coues Deer hunts can be had outside of the rut on a regular basis.

Colorado - OTC Elk can be had on a regular basis

Montana - OTC Elk/Deer can be had on a regular basis

Nevada - Mule Deer hunts out of the rut can be drawn every so often.

Oregon - Blacktail and Roosevelt Elk hunts can be had on a regular basis

Utah - General Deer can be had every 2-3 years on a regular basis.

Wyoming - Pronghorn/Deer/Elk can be drawn every so often on lower demand units.

Keep in mind what species that you want to target when selecting a state. Decide whether you want to wait for trophy quality or if you want to hunt more often.

Elk tags in units with Limited Quotas during the rut will be in high demand regardless of the weapon type if the unit has trophy quality and easy access. Elk tags in the same unit later in the season will be in less demand and can be drawn sooner.

Deer tags like the Henry Mountains or the Arizona Strip are a pipe dream, because of the limited quantity and quality of the animals. Deer Tags in Nevada, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming could potentially get you a nice buck with a potential of a trophy.

Pronghorn Tags outside of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado (arch), Idaho (arch) are tough to obtain.

Sheep, Goat, & Moose tags if you do not live in the state that you are applying are a pipe dream at best. It would be cheaper to save and do an Alaska hunt, than to apply for twenty or so years.

Bison tags are hard to come by in Utah and Arizona. Wyoming and Alaska who have lottery drawings for them will be easier to draw.

There are really three tiers as far as states to live in for big game hunting in the west.

Tier 1 - Alaska

Tier 2 - Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming

Tier 3 - Arizona, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington

This is an awesome breakdown and the first I have seen of its kind. Thanks a lot. Honestly, I have never had the opportunity to hunt elk but have had many experiences up close back in TN while deer hunting and I caught the itch.

I hunted whitetail my whole life. With that being said I truly enjoy hunting new species and trying new hunts. I managed a blacktail and black bear while I'm CA. Also got hooked on ducks and geesE while stationed there.

One day I want to do a sheep, moose, and goat hunt. My end game goal is the North American grand slam via archery.

This is an awesome breakdown and the first I have seen of its kind. Thanks a lot. Honestly, I have never had the opportunity to hunt elk but have had many experiences up close back in TN while deer hunting and I caught the itch.

I hunted whitetail my whole life. With that being said I truly enjoy hunting new species and trying new hunts. I managed a blacktail and black bear while I'm CA. Also got hooked on ducks and geesE while stationed there.

One day I want to do a sheep, moose, and goat hunt. My end game goal is the North American grand slam via archery.

For an OTC first time Elk Hunt, I would think that Idaho is hard to beat.

I grew up in Utah and their OTC elk is a joke when compared to the opportunities for OTC elk as a Non Resident.

This is a points thread and Idaho does not have a points system, but Idaho is a very fun state to hunt in on the Over The Counter.

For an OTC first time Elk Hunt, I would think that Idaho is hard to beat.

I grew up in Utah and their OTC elk is a joke when compared to the opportunities for OTC elk as a Non Resident.

This is a points thread and Idaho does not have a points system, but Idaho is a very fun state to hunt in on the Over The Counter.

The podcast I mentioned discusses how that is the CURRENT case I'm Idaho and how that is currently being debated.

Honestly, I love the idea of no points. Idaho is one of the states I'm considering trying to end up in when I am done with this assignment.

With that being said, Idaho doesn't seem to get much love on here and the only people you hear advocating for it are Idaho natives. Could you offer some insight to that? How is the hunting any different than say WY, MT, or CO?

The podcast I mentioned discusses how that is the CURRENT case I'm Idaho and how that is currently being debated.

Honestly, I love the idea of no points. Idaho is one of the states I'm considering trying to end up in when I am done with this assignment.

With that being said, Idaho doesn't seem to get much love on here and the only people you hear advocating for it are Idaho natives. Could you offer some insight to that? How is the hunting any different than say WY, MT, or CO?

Each have their merit and disadvantage. It depends on what you want.

Wyoming has high success rates, but it will take a NR a bit to draw.

Colorado has the most elk, but the most hunters.

Montana has forever seasons, but costs more.

Idaho has a bit of every everything the other states have, but isn't as popular and costs less. (People think wolves ate all the elk)

Idaho has cheap elk tags and if you are an archer (I'm not) you can hunt the rut with their A tag in some units that are a draw only rifle B tag. Idaho has a lot of rugged country and a decent amount of roadless areas and some units close roads. There is ample room to get away from people, because it seems like most people get separation anxiety from their vehicle if they venture 300/400 yards from it (probably true everywhere). There is just something peaceful about climbing to the top of a ridge and not seeing anyone - at that point it isn't about shooting an animal it is about taking it in and enjoying yourself.

And

This and there is a fish called Steelhead that are boring to fish for (even fly fishing), but hooking one is something that everyone should experience at least once in their life.

There are these things called chukars that take every opportunity to laugh at you when you slip climbing up the mountain or fall while packing out a deer.

There are blue grouse that wait until you almost step on them to flush and they are abundant and fun to watch.

There are deer and black bears wondering around without a care in the world other than what is going into their belly away from the roads.

And if you end up in Idaho as a resident $150 dollars will get you pretty much all the hunting and fishing that you can handle.

It is just a cool place and well worth the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back