Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

TN free range hog hunt

dwm4375

A few months ago found out my wife is expecting our 3rd in June, so managed to get a hunt in with my buddies before the new baby arrives. My oldest will be 3 in January and our second will be 1 in March, so next fall is going to be too busy for much hunting.

My buddies have been going to a national forest in TN every year for 6 years to hunt wild pigs the week of Thanksgiving. It's not legal to hunt pigs outside of the regular deer seasons, so technically we're hunting deer and hogs are incidental. The hunting isn't great - 6 years with 3-4 people hunting 4 days each time, and we've only managed 4 pigs and 1 buck. It's a fun time though. We camp out for the first couple nights, then rent a cabin for a more comfortable experience the rest of the trip.

This year I didn't see any deer or pigs, but I was hunting over very recent sign two of the evenings. We got trail camera video of a nice sized hog at one of our hunting spots, and one of the guys shot two hogs. His first was at 4:30pm on a ridgeline of mature woods, which was odd because the rest of our kills have been at last light. His second (pictures attached) was at dusk two nights later over a wallow at the edge of a small clearing. We worked up a digital scale, rope harness, and frame pack system that we used to weigh the hog at 215 lbs.

Attachments

• Hog w tusks.jpg
    Hog w tusks.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 580
  • DE w hog.jpg
    DE w hog.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 562
Nice piggy.. I like hunting hogs as well as anything I've ever hunted before. They eat better than just about anything else also.

Awesome job taking down those big tuskers. If you are talking about the Cherokee Nat. Forest then we may have crossed paths or hunted the same areas at some point. Ive been hunting there all my life. Have been lucky enough to take a few tuskers out of those mountains. Even had my wife with me for the last one. Rough country but it's home. Here is the most recent one from a few years ago. Got this 150lb sow on the late deer/boar rifle hunt. A big old boar with nice cutters like that had always alluded me, that kind of boar rates right up there with a big whitetail to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:
We are over run by those things. Before all the rains hit they were rooting up the edge of my pond and just as I get my hog trap ready....the rains came and boom! They were gone. Congrats! John

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back