Caribou Gear Tarp

Tire Road Hazard - Yes or No?

Do you buy the road hazard warranty on new tires?

• Yes

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • It depends on the vehicle and how I'm using it

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters

npaden

Just replaced the factory tires on my new truck after 30K miles and was hit with the decision on buying the road hazard warranty on them or not.

I tend to buy my tires at Discount Tire so the warranty is good in a lot of places.

On a set of 4 tires the road hazard adds up and I was curious what other people on the forum think about road hazard warranty. I'm not much of an extended warranty guy, and usually don't get it on anything so it seems odd that I would get it on tires but I think I'm pretty even on it between what I pay and how often it gets used.

I think that if you were just a normal highway driving person it might not math out, but with the amount of time my vehicles spend off pavement it seems that they end up getting one tire replaced on each set before it is all said and done on each set of tires which generally maths out to a break even. My wife tends to ruin a couple tires out of each set somehow so for sure it works for her.

Oh well, just curious what other people on the forum think about road hazard warranty.

Thanks, Nathan

I would highly recommend it. My road hazard from Discount tire has saved me a good chunk of change twice in the last 15 years on two different sets of tires.

I fall on the no side. Usually go through a set in 13 -14 months, so I just take my chances.

Usually not a fan of add-on's, extended warranties, etc., but in the case of tire road hazard warranties for my hunting vehicle I always buy it and have come out way ahead over the years. Even 10- ply good quality tires sometimes meet their fate on lava rock, and just random crap on NM "roads". One place I used to hunt ate 4 tires in 6 seasons. I very rarely have a flat that can be fixed.

I generally lean toward no on hazard only because I've not encountered a time that I've needed also the last set I purchased came from Discount Tire and the shop that mounted them wasn't an "approved installer" so it would have voided the warranty. I do use 10ply which seems to help reduce the potential of sidewall punctures.

I just looked for my Nitto Ridge Grappers and they are now $312 installed at Discount Tire so maybe it's worth looking into for my next purchase...which at current wear rates and miles is probably 18months out.

I do not, but one place I often buy from includes a hazard warranty when you buy a set of four tires.

I have never paid extra for it, but now three or four sets I have bought have included it, so maybe my vote should be a yes?

Either way, have only used it once. They couldn't get a tow truck to my GF on the interstate for 12hrs +, so I picked her up, left the car and the truck got it the next day.

Ended up costing $35 for the tow because we were 4 miles past their free tow millage. Not the end of the world, it was like a 25 mile tow one way back to the tire shop.

Never purchased. I have also never had a tire prematurely fail from a road hazard. Every tire I have ever bought was due to all the goody had been got from the prior one.

if I'm using my vehicle for my business and driving a lot for work, then ok I will consider it. Especially if you off-road often.

I'll likely not cause if a set of tires makes or breaks me, im doing something wrong.

For the few times I did buy the road hazard warranty on sets of tires for the truck and trailer and the one time I used said warranty on 1 tire it is not a good deal for me.
It's not a good deal for me because I never wear out a set of tires within the 3 years the Discounttire warrant is valid.

I always do. As JR pointed out, NM has a way of eating tires and replacing one tire will more than make up for the cost of certificates on the whole set.

I used a road hazard on one set of tires the first time I took them off the pavement. A mesquite bush decided to plant thorns in places they couldn't repair. I've also seen as many as four flats in one day of hunting.

Better tire companies give it with the purchase. if not i would buy it. i have used it several times.

No, but I don't drive over mesquite etc. that destroys sidewalls either. I'd probably have a different opinion if I did.

If I have an issue that I think is fixable but Discount will pull some bullchit and say the tire is ruined then I take it to an independent tire shop and have them patch it (like a nail in the tire "too close to the sidewall"). If it's a warranty issue then they're going to replace the tire without road hazard protection anyway.

It's basically just nail-in-the-sidewall insurance for me, and I don't bother.

I don’t do it. Discount isn’t losing money on their warranty program.

We just had a nail through the shoulder on my wife’s tire. The extra warranty would have been more than half the cost of a new tire. This is the first time it would have saved me in many sets of tires so the way I see it is we are still money ahead overall by not doing it.

Warranty was roughly $150 (for all 4). New tire was roughly $250. So I am down $100 on this latest tire- but I haven’t prematurely damaged a tire in the last 10 sets so I am ahead $1500 for that.

I suppose I could have a run of bad luck or drive through a field of nails and I might feel differently…. But I think I would have to do the nail field twice to make up for the money I have saved.

It’s all a personal decision on if the math makes sense to you or if it gives you peace of mind

Yes, always..... When you buy you usually can get them to give you one for free, buy the road hazard for 3. Also with Discount if your tire is not repairable and there is not a Discount near you they will have you go to a different tire place and send them a receipt and they send you a check.

I thought it would be a little more buying the road hazzard than not on this forum with the amount of off road use by the hunting folks.

I started buying the road hazard warranties when my wife had 3 of 4 tires that had to be replaced on her SUV in about a 6 month period. We live 2 miles off pavement and she has a knack for running over things. We average between 25,000 and 30,000 miles on our vehicles per year so we don't have an issue with the warranty only being for 3 years, our tires would be worn out by then for sure. The Discount Tire ones are not prorated, you get a brand new tire as long as it has more than 4/32 of tread left on it when it is ruined.

I would 100% agree that they are making money on selling them and it is also one of the things they are the most willing to negotiate on the price on. I think for the average person they aren't going to get their money's worth on them but the more you are off road the higher the likelihood of a tire getting ruined in my experience.

Back