Tire Road Hazard - Yes or No?

Do you buy the road hazard warranty on new tires?

• Yes

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • It depends on the vehicle and how I'm using it

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
It depends, if you drive off road or dirt/gravel roads where there is a lot of sharp rocks such as flint, chert or obsidian, I would say its worth is. I get tires from Discount and have used the road hazard several times.

Don't buy any extended warranties. Could come back to bite me, but probably have saved enough over the years to cover any unexpected costs.

Yes I do. Agree with jrabq's statement about "random crap on NM roads" Discount tires are located all over the SW.
I used to and I've stopped when they denied me. Called it excessive off road use. Not normal wear.
Maybe if I lived near one again, but that is long ways to drive. On NM roads,lol

I just figure if I get 2 years out of any tires in NM I am ahead. I have 4 years on one set & 3 now on another. I still had to change a flat on a 10 ply. Can't stop a lag screw.
Also I am rarely off any road.

Last edited:
I had three out of four tires replaced a year ago with a discount tire warranty. Hunting season was very hard on the tires. They were all still inflated but had gouges and slices, not sure what I got into. But it felt good to have a brand new set of tires for the cost of one tire and new warranty

Here in the rustbelt, I have found that the standard suv tires that get placed on my wife's suv will get a nail, screw, random puncture every year or so. So for hers I always get the road hazard warranty. When the "what tire to put on Randy's truck" discussion happened a few years ago on HT, the next set that went on my pickup (daily-driver, but also hunting rig) was a set of 10 plys. I bought the road hazard warranty at the time because I could never go more than a year without the normal Goodyear/Firestone/tire-shop recommended tire getting a flat/puncture. Now that I've switched to the 10ply I haven't got a flat since(3 years?). Could be coincidence or could just be a tougher tire sheds those pesky roofing nails that all the work trucks spill along I-75? Gonna keep buying it for my wife, but not for my pickup as long as I keep getting 10plys.

If it’s included in the lifetime rotate and balance, yes. But I wouldn’t pay separate for it. Pretty sure all of that’s included if you buy tires at Costco.

I have done both but you really need to pay attention to where you buy them and their actual warranty. Pep boys I know is worthless. Discount tire was good now hassle and so was 4wheelparts. This last set I bought at les schwab and tire repair is included

One thing is for sure, if you buy road hazard, you'll never use it. But if you don't, you'll need it.
Can't hide from good ol' Murphy.

To my point above, I have had road hazard on my truck tires before and never used it. Didn't bother with my wife's Expedition and 6000 miles in, caught a wall anchor screw in the sidewall. Go figure...

Yeah, I 100% agree that they are making money overall on the road hazard warranty. That's why they sell them and why they can also discount them down so easily. Just tell them you don't want the road hazard and they will knock 50% off of the price of the road hazard warranty.

Also agree that the warranty is vastly different at different places. Some prorate it and if you end up ruining a tire with 50% of the life remaining it is almost cheaper just to buy a new tire outside the agreement because they charge 100% full retail on the road hazard and only discount the tire, not the mounting and balancing, etc.

Discount tire is usually pretty good though, they aren't prorated at all and only charge for the new road hazard on the replaced tire. They won't discount the price on it for a replacement tire though.

My rough guess is that the more miles you drive off pavement the more likely you are to ruin a tire. I've ruined tires driving on pavement but I've ruined a lot more off pavement and I might only drive 10% of my total miles off pavement.

I am in Texas, seems every thing here has something that pokes a hole in a tire , mesquite, cactus ,oil field trash ,ect , after a hurricane lots of nails in the road ! So heck yeah road hazard

Last edited:
I have never bought it. I am usually out of cell range when it hits the fan. I always carry a tire patch kit and 12 volt air compressor. And not a cheap air compressor. But the best you can afford. I've only had one instance i couldn't fix a tire ( massive side wall damage from a tree branch). I usually carry a slide in truck camper, so it's a huge pain to change tires. I just but the best tires i can afford (toyo ct's) and be prepared for the worst. I've had to patch multiple tires from nails which was easily done with the tire patch kit. I run my truck everywhere in Montana, including Rocky mountain passes where people give me weird looks carrying a camper. I patch on average one tire a year, and this year was the first in 20+ years I ruined one.

Last edited:
Yes, for hunting truck. have come out ahead on each set of hunting rig tires last 3 sets.

No for our city/pavement car and have not wrecked one of those tires…yet.

I’ve bought the road hazard warranty and used it on almost every set of tires I’ve ever bought. Nails, oil field debris, mesquite, rocks - I’ve never had discount tire give me any problems with using the road hazard warranty. It works for me

Back