Tire Chains???

Paisano

Next year I'm hoping for a 3rd season tag in CO and I have almost no experience with "real" winter weather so I have to ask...do you guys that hunt later in the year pack tire chains?

If you are driving a four wheel drive truck on an iced over black top road, do you chain up the back wheels, the front wheels, or all four?

Also, I remember reading a thread where a guy suggested that tire chains would help you get around if the dirt roads got muddy. In a situation where you get some snow, it melts, and all the dirt roads get real slick, are tire chains of use?

I'm pretty chicken when it comes to taking on a steep road when things get iffy and plan to use my boots way more than the truck. I'm just trying to get some realistic expectations about how mobile you can be with a pickup if things get sloppy.

Thanks for all the help and best of luck to those who still have tags to fill. A special thanks to all the veterans that read this. God bless and thank you for your service.

Chain the fronts.

Don't be afraid of the snow but be smart and if it's steep, muddy, or deep ruts be smart and stop. Hiking is a wonderful thing and while others are digging themselves out you can be hunting.

I also suggest the following. High lift jack, 2 good shovels, several sections of chain, tractor tow strap (Cal Ranch), come along.

p.s not sure what the ATV regs in CO are but in UT ATVs are not allowed on most dirt roads. Hence when the roads get bad for trucks they become nice wide hiking trails.

Good luck

Next year I'm hoping for a 3rd season tag in CO and I have almost no experience with "real" winter weather so I have to ask...do you guys that hunt later in the year pack tire chains?

If you are driving a four wheel drive truck on an iced over black top road, do you chain up the back wheels, the front wheels, or all four?

Also, I remember reading a thread where a guy suggested that tire chains would help you get around if the dirt roads got muddy. In a situation where you get some snow, it melts, and all the dirt roads get real slick, are tire chains of use?

I'm pretty chicken when it comes to taking on a steep road when things get iffy and plan to use my boots way more than the truck. I'm just trying to get some realistic expectations about how mobile you can be with a pickup if things get sloppy.

Thanks for all the help and best of luck to those who still have tags to fill. A special thanks to all the veterans that read this. God bless and thank you for your service.

May have been my post from a while ago. I always have chains with me when heading out west. Great info above from DD too. I haven't needed them for snow but they got me out of a real sticky situation on a muddy mountain road. I chain up front and back in the worst conditions.

I haven't needed them for snow but they got me out of a real sticky situation on a muddy mountain road. I chain up front and back in the worst conditions.

Exactly! It's most likely not the snow you need to worry about, it's the mud,slick,snotty dirt roads.

If you're not going to drive them when they are steep anyways, I'd just get one set for the fronts just in case. If you think you're even going to attempt the dirt roads, get 2 sets and put them on before you think you need them.

No experience in winter weather - stick to boot leather. If you are chicken, that is probably a good thing - it'll save you some money, and its easier on the truck :)
Regardless, as you are coming 3rd season, you need chains! Chain up the front for sure. Best to do both, but fronts are better then nothin'. A shovel, cum-a-long and log chain or tow strap is a must. The HiJack mentioend above is nice to have along. These things are as important to your truck and trip, as your bullet to your rifle.

I'd been up a steep side hill in the Bitterroots a couple times one day and on the final trip the temperature warmed up and it got too slick to make it. I had chains for the front only. It took about an hour to back down the grade with the back end of the truck breaking free and trying to slide off the 500 foot drop. My partner ended up walking next to the truck and stabbing a shovel in to stop the back end from sliding over. I dont go anywhere off road without both sets of chains now!

I always carry 3 sets of tire chains...2 regular sets and a set with ice cleats for my front tires. You can fix a broken chain, but its a pain in the butt when you really need them. I find it easier to carry an extra set and fix a broken tire chain in my garage. I also carry a 20k tow strap w/2 big clevis hooks.

This pic was taken Nov 28th. I pulled 2 trucks out of ditches that morning before daylight...neither one had chains. I was not a happy camper, but I won't pass up someone in need, especially in the winter. We were late getting to our spot, but one day that could be me...and I'd probably shoot someones truck if they just passed me without offering help.

And, tire chains do work great on muddy/nasty roads. A friend and I got caught in a terrible rain storm on the north side of Fort Peck one archery season. We could not pull the boat up out of the bottom, but were able to get the truck out of the hole we were in. We went back the following weekend to pick up the boat and the roads were already dry and rutted.

Attachments

• DSCN1092.jpg
    DSCN1092.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,372
I'd been up a steep side hill in the Bitterroots a couple times one day and on the final trip the temperature warmed up and it got too slick to make it. I had chains for the front only. It took about an hour to back down the grade with the back end of the truck breaking free and trying to slide off the 500 foot drop. My partner ended up walking next to the truck and stabbing a shovel in to stop the back end from sliding over. I dont go anywhere off road without both sets of chains now!

Best advice so far. Dont just chain up the front, Chain all 4 wheels! A set for the rear is not that much more money considering the damage you can do when you slide off the road because the rear WILL try to pass the front going down an icy hill.

Couple of other things I didnt see mentioned:

-Dont make the first time you put your chains on when you are out hunting. Take the time to put them on in your driveway. Get them set up and you can wire back any of the excess links and see how they fit. That way you know the actually fit and are set-up for your tires. Know how to put them on correctly. Its not rocket science but if they are on wrong you run the risk of throwing a chain, you could cut a brake line or tear up an inner fender. Fixing a brake line while stuck in a snow drift is no fun.

-Buy a Tire chain pliers. You can and will have cross links that will come off or loose. Trying to fix them with a pair of needle nose and a screwdriver is a royal pain and not too effective. Chain Pliers make it infinitely easier to do a repair. Cost around $30 and worth their weight in gold.

I've heard that you shouldn't put chains on the front only. Some how it can damage your vehicle if the back tires are slipping and only the fronts are grabbing???

Anyway, I ALWAYS have TWO sets of chains in the fall. They've saved my butt more than once. And I always chain up the back first.

As a buddy of mine says, "one set of chains is just enough to get you really stuck"

Get a plastic milk crate, add two sets of chains, 10-12 tighteners, a roll of bailing wire, one pair linemans pliers, one pair channel locks, 2-3 quick links, a heavy tow strap, a ComeAlong, leather gloves and a rubber floor mat. Keep this in your truck no matter what the weather! Be smart, don't be macho. Macho gets you stuck.

My buddy has a 2002 Chevy truck I believe and we always chained up the front. He said he read his owners manual and it said with one set of chains put them on the back and if you chain the front it is too hard on your power train and can void your warranty. I never heard this before. All four is definitely the best. One set I like the front to pull you and assist in your steering.

Just because you made it up the hill without chains doesn't mean you shouldn't put them on to go back down. I just about shat myself one day coming down some switchbacks on a north facing slope. I hit ice underneath the snow and took off like a bobsled. I was finally able to get the inside tire to bite and turn me up the hill and into the cut bank. I had to put on ice creepers while I was chaining up.

Chains have saved my bacon in the Missouri River gumbo too.

The above milk crate list is about as good as it gets.

There's been a lot of good advice given thus far! Yes, you should be well prepared up in the high country as conditions can and will change dramatically very quickly. Having chains (preferablby cleated cross linked) for the front and rear, chain tool, chain tighteners, high-lift jack, tow strap (30 ft heavy duty), come alongs, pointed shovel, and perhaps good quality neoprene gloves! There's more items you might add in as a chainsaw, bowsaw and if you really want to move around easier extra crosslinks on all four chains. One other thing I do is get 4 tubes of sand (approx.70-80 lbs each) placing one each alongside the wheel wells and the other two perpendicular to those two. Doing this gives you plenty of rear wheel traction adding to the weight of all your gear.Obviously proper installation of the chains and tightening up of them is imperative.
I just came back from hunting the 3rd season here in Colorado. It snowed hard atop a previous snowfall and areas where chains are a must with very narrow logging and mine roads with steep grades and also sheer dropoffs. Didn't mean to be so long-winded regarding winter preparedness but have been four wheeling in the high country since 1967 around the mountains near Aspen and Glenwood Springs including driving a 4x4 tow truck fetching vehicles where it was very precarious. Be safe and you can enjoy your hunt even more ! Good luck and enjoy !
Have attached my 1986 Toyota (355,000 miles) atop a ridge (perhaps you recognize the mountain in the background) taken during 4th season. Am going 4th again starting Wednesday. This little truck (106hp) pulled out 3/4 ton trucks with camper shells on them

Attachments

• IMG_2127.jpg
    IMG_2127.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,370
I carry mine in ammo boxes. 1 set in each box. I spray some wd-40 or similar oil to stop rusting of the chains and inside the box. Throw 2-3 tighteners on top of the chain in each box and they are ready to go and arent tangled up or frozen from being in the back of the truck in the weather. I always at least double up on the tighteners. Loose chains can cost a lot of headache when they tear brake lines, beat up fenders, or worse.

The bit about practicing the chain install before you need them is really a good idea. Get familiar with the install and make sure they fit correctly.

I also really like the suggestion to paint the ends orange to help with setup, thats a great idea.

Some great advice given here..... Let me add one thing to all the great tips...... after you have practiced putting them on, and routine maintenance . Guys have mentioned, spray paint. That is good to find the ends. What I do with all mine, even for my Big truck is : Lay them as your going to put them on, take both ends bring together and form the loop. Next Take zip ties and put through both links to keep them from coming apart. Thus, when you have to put them on out in the elements. They're not tangled up and all you have to do is cut the tie strips and lay them over the tire.

This is great stuff! Does anyone have experience with chains on a 4runner? I have a 2008, and the owner's manual recommends against chains on the front due to limited clearance.

All newer Toyotas are a PITA when it come to chains. You can stick your hand behind the tire usually and pretty much feel the lack of clearance. I put wheel spacers on my truck for this problem but then I never got around to purchasing chains that fit yet.

Back