Do you get tired?

Not tired of hunting, just tired. I had hunted waterfowl for better than 50 years. At the beginning of season 2017 I made a decision to stop. I have taken my share. Went on to giving ALL of my decoys, layout blinds, calls and more to youngsters that didn’t have the funds to get started. I didn’t need the money. This has made me proud to help the next generation of waterfowlers. Next, big game hunting. I have been able to hunt five countries on three continent. My home abounds with trophies. This season my wife has undergone many health issues. My desire to hunt has waned incredibly. I haven’t the desire to hunt as much as my want to be with her. I haven’t taken a deer this season. This is just fine as it’s not a priority. My priority lies within my home. I will continue to hunt upland birds on a smaller scale. Not traveling far from home. My ten year old lab, Belle, looks at me wantingly to hunt. She doesn’t understand. I DO! My firearms are becoming safe queens. I look back upon my hunting career fondly. To those who understand this I say enjoy your memories. To those upcoming hunters/adventurers I urge you to go for it.
Below is a picture of my angel. MTG
Truth be told !!!

Up here in British Columbia, we always have something to hunt....waterfowl in various areas on the BIG ISLAND early october into march.....wolf &cougar from mid september until mid june......wild turkey/hogs, all year round....whenI get weary, I take my gold pans and just relax by a river......at 76, no hurry to pull the trigger on anything, lessen SOMETHING comes a creeping up on me....UMmmm,Sasquatch.....but then,you can usually smell 'em before then get ya !!!

I have for waterfowl, but that's a grind towards the end of the season. After hitting ducks hard in my 20's I have definitely slacked off in my 30's. I did pivot towards western hunting and archery which I've still got the fire for. When it comes to ducks, as a few old timers used to say around camp..."I'm just not that mad at them anymore."

Still gets the blood pumping 54 this year been hunting since 15. Hunted waterfowl till my best lab passed. Wife asked if I was getting another lab told her nope won't be the same and never hunted waterfowl since. Now big game is another story still get the shakes when I get my sights on a elk or a nice fat bear, and this year will be the first year I got a grand kid that can hunt. It will be great!

My boss is a hunter. Big ol' Minnesota guy, mid-50's, tremendous condition. He seems to always draw at least two tags, if not more, and usually tough draws here in NM. He takes friends hunting, his wife hunts, as do his kids. Dragged me out of my chair to my Ibex hunt in early '22, and he was all over his javalina tag and wanting more.

Yesterday he shared something with me I would have never expected to hear - he is "hunted out." Not for good, but just till next season. He has been in the woods four weeks since Pronghorn season started him off. But to hear him simply not want to go is pretty earth shattering for me.

Now, I haven't drawn enough tags in a year to get tired, and had to dump my deer hunt due to my rotator cuff surgery week before last. But do you guys get "hunted out"? That would be like getting fished out. Impossible. I think.

What say you?

David
NM
I’m from MN too. I hunt a lot but have never experienced burn out. I’m 70 years old and retired. I’m going to keep going till I just can’t do it anymore. But, I have a 37 year old son that keeps me motivated. This year we start in May with Black bear in ID And end in Dec at our MN camp. With stops in WY, CO and WI along the way. Time with my son…. Priceless!
Good luck to you!

Still gets the blood pumping 54 this year been hunting since 15. Hunted waterfowl till my best lab passed. Wife asked if I was getting another lab told her nope won't be the same and never hunted waterfowl since. Now big game is another story still get the shakes when I get my sights on a elk or a nice fat bear, and this year will be the first year I got a grand kid that can hunt. It will be great!

Awesome for you, can’t wait for the grand kids to hunt with me!

I took this season off but more out of recuperating from a medical condition from the summer and treatments through the fall. But I didn't miss going out oddly.
Now I need to follow up on this. With full recovery, shedding some weight I was Jonesing to be out in the woods!

I started a thread a couple years ago about losing the "want" to hunt, was pretty burned out at the time. Fast forward to last year, I hunted a total of 2 days due to knee pain, wanted to be in the woods more than anything, sat at home for 12 months straight. This year, I'm putting in for anything and everything and cannot wait for the fall to arrive. Sometimes you just need a break.

Up here in British Columbia, we always have something to hunt....waterfowl in various areas on the BIG ISLAND early october into march.....wolf &cougar from mid september until mid june......wild turkey/hogs, all year round....whenI get weary, I take my gold pans and just relax by a river......at 76, no hurry to pull the trigger on anything, lessen SOMETHING comes a creeping up on me....UMmmm,Sasquatch.....but then,you can usually smell 'em before then get ya !!!

You go Bro! 76 ain’t nuthin right? I’m doing the same thing…. Not slowing down anytime soon!

No. I had to take a couple years of from hunting moose and hated it. Last year I was out at our cabin for a week, a couple of times. I used to spend 5 weeks out there. And hopefully will be doing this again. Having to stop getting out because of medical issues really hurt the ol soal. I'm feeling a lot better but still need a new knee.
I wanted to get this cabin built so when I got oller I would still be able to get out n go hunting. Sure glad I can just sit on the porch n be in good moose country. Or short ride on a wheeler to a great blind.
If you can get tired of hunting, just wait until you can't

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back