PEAX Equipment

Anyone ever use these tire chain gadgets?

Thats why I put different rims on my truck. Got rims with a different offset so the rim and tire are now 1.5 inches farther out. Now I have enough clearance to put chains on.

Thats why I put different rims on my truck. Got rims with a different offset so the rim and tire are now 1.5 inches farther out. Now I have enough clearance to put chains on.
I've honestly thought about it. My only worry was if it'll look bad. You know the guys with their tires six inches past their fenders.....

That's the "stance" man. My trucks are old. I chain up and go. mtmuley
The stance, look at you talking like one of the youths! Unfortunately I only figured out this issue after buying my truck. Just like I figured out the default for ram is an open differential....

You could put wheel spacers on it. You can do the front only.
Never thought about doing the front only to be honest. Wouldn't cause an issue having them different from the rears?

The stance, look at you talking like one of the youths! Unfortunately I only figured out this issue after buying my truck. Just like I figured out the default for ram is an open differential....

Never thought about doing the front only to be honest. Wouldn't cause an issue having them different from the rears?
I don’t think so. You may have to have an alignment done. My old 94 Chevy has a wider stance in the front compared to the rear from the factory.

I've honestly thought about it. My only worry was if it'll look bad. You know the guys with their tires six inches past their fenders.....
I hear you...But you can get all different styles of rims and lots of different options on how far they stick out. The ones I chose just moved my wheel out another 1.5 inches. So the wheel is almost flush with the edge of the wheel well. I didn't want them sticking out and throwing mud, snow, slush on the side of the truck. If and only if I remember right the stock tire is call a 44 offset. Can't remember if its 44 + or 44-. But I ordered a 5 = or -. I didn't want spacers..to many things to go wrong and come loose. And I sure didn't break the bank when I got the rims either. I was switching tires every fall and re balancing them. Got tired of paying that bill. I just get out my floor jack now and switch them a week before I go so I can re torque the rims

I hear you...But you can get all different styles of rims and lots of different options on how far they stick out. The ones I chose just moved my wheel out another 1.5 inches. So the wheel is almost flush with the edge of the wheel well. I didn't want them sticking out and throwing mud, snow, slush on the side of the truck. If and only if I remember right the stock tire is call a 44 offset. Can't remember if its 44 + or 44-. But I ordered a 5 = or -. I didn't want spacers..to many things to go wrong and come loose. And I sure didn't break the bank when I got the rims either. I was switching tires every fall and re balancing them. Got tired of paying that bill. I just get out my floor jack now and switch them a week before I go so I can re torque the rims
Your rims would be -44. Negative offset bring the wheel away from the hub.

Truck claws.
Are those any different than using a ratchet strap and a short piece of iron C-channel? I like the look of the truck claws for short distance to get back on the road, the price isn't bad but I'm thinking that a piece of C-channel and a ratchet strap would do the same job.

Lots of fitment issues can be solved by simply adding a 1" wheel spacer to the front (and rear if you want it to match). Spacers are easy enough to put on, you could put them on just for the hunting season then take them off when you're done frequenting messy areas. A simple leveling kit goes a long ways also. Bring the front of your truck up a couple of inches and you'd be amazed how much of a difference it makes in the snow.

I use them all the time in the winter when I just need to get the rig back on the road. Real quick to take on/off. They definitely don't replace chains, but they save some shoveling and time.
So true. The claws have quickly gotten me out of a couple jams.

Buddy off mine used these and ended up scratching his rims a bit when they slipped back. Put them up next to a spoke if available and snug down tight!

Chains are like condoms- you really don't want to put them on, but you are never sorry when you do. Buy a good set of chains and hope you never need to use them. The minute you think I might need to put the chains on, either do it or turn around before you get stuck and hope you don't get stuck turning around!
Me last year stopped got stuck turning around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back